What to do with a single chicken liver? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-15-2011, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I get a whole chicken every other week from a farmer, and it comes with the liver.  I'm not sure what to do with it.  I don't love liver just by itself. 

Is there some way I can use it well?  Blend it up and put it with ground beef in hamburgers or tacos?

If I were to cook it on its own should I just saute it in butter until the center is barely pink?  Then we could each just have a bite.

Any suggestions on how to cook it by itself or in a recipe?

Teacher, Mother of 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 11-15-2011, 03:29 PM

My recipe is very simple (I hope others contribute with really fancy stuff.) Boil the liver, with a whole onion and some spices thrown in. Let it cool, and mush the onion and liver together. Add butter, and it's pate.

I'd freeze a few livers and just do a bunch of them at once. Fresh is better, sure, but I'm too lazy.

#3 of 5 Old 11-15-2011, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

You can definitely grind it and mix it up with ground beef to make meatballs or meatloaf.  You can certainly put it in something like a burger, but that tends to not have the same amount of seasonings as meatballs or meatloaf and you might notice the flavor a bit more.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#4 of 5 Old 11-15-2011, 10:36 PM

Saute it & eat it yourself as a treat for being the cook (or share w/ whatever child is helping you to cook) - that's what my step-dad used to do. Also the heart.

Or freeze it and continue to add to the cache until you have enough to make chopped liver.

----

~ 1 lb of livers

1 big onion

oil or rendered chicken fat (aka schmaltz) (a couple of tablespoons)

boiled egg (1 or 2 - depending on how much you like)

Dice an onion & saute in oil until soft & golden.

Remove the onions & then saute the livers until done (I like to make them brown, but you might want to leave them a little pink)

Chop up the onions and livers together w/ a hand chopper or whirl in a food processor.

Add the  eggs and chop or whirl. I like little chunks of white still visible, you might like everything very smooth and pate-like.

Salt & pepper to taste

#5 of 5 Old 11-22-2011, 06:40 AM

In Bologna, to make bolognese sauce, they often add a liver. It makes a creamier sauce.

Cut it, or better smash it little by little removing stringy parts and add it to the pan before the ground meat.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page