reproductive hormones and paleo diet - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-18-2011, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is there anyone here who switched from a whole-foods, but not paleo diet, to a paleo diet, then noticed a decrease in PMS symptoms,  or any other evidence of better hormonal balance?

Note that I am asking testimonies of those who were previously eating a WHOLE FOODS diet. This is crucial b/c I believe getting off processed foods will automatically help with hormone balance, no matter kind of whole foods diet you get into. I'm wondering if even getting off whole grains and/or dairy (I'm talking organic and/or raw, not conventional) can make an even greater difference.

Thanks! :)

Emily
#2 of 5 Old 11-18-2011, 12:14 PM

I definitely see a difference whether or not I'm eating grains.  Even whole grains screw with my hormones.  My personal limit seems to be somewhere around a small bowl of rice once a week for grains in general, but any wheat at all could screw with me.  I could handle starches (potato or tapioca), and used those for thickening things, but grains in general are not nice to my body.

Removing dairy let me lose weight easier, but I don't know that it helped with my hormones. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 5 Old 11-19-2011, 04:57 PM

Yes!  I have experienced a huge change as far as hormonal balance, esp. PMS symptoms.  For me there were two major shifts.  The first improvement occurred when I stopped being a vegetarian (I was veg for about 16 yrs) and stopped eating sugar - at this point I began eating a whole foods diet with very little processed food (occasional blue corn chips, pretzels, etc.).  But the main improvement occurred when I eliminated grains from my diet.  I experienced a rather dramatic lessening of PMS symptoms.  For me to feel well I have to avoid all grains and almost all fruit. I'm ok with limited starchy vegs like peas and sweet potatoes. Also, I eat probably 99% organic and I know the farmers from whom I buy my meats so I know there are no hormones, antibiotics, etc.  I'm ok with raw dairy as well. 

treehugger.gifgoorganic.jpggd.giftriadadopt.jpgfamilybed1.gif

#4 of 5 Old 11-20-2011, 06:41 PM

I have had HUGE changes!  My husband and I have been TTC fro 2 years with no luck.  I would never have a regular cycle, anywhere from 25 days to 47 days long.  I would get very emotional, sore nipples, very bad cramps, etc.  We followed a whole foods/Weston A. Price diet for about 2 years and this didn't really change much.  About 5 months ago we decided to take some time off from trying to have a baby so I could focus on getting myself healthier.  All of my symptoms disapeared almost instantly.  This is so huge!  Since I've had DS I've had crazy bad PMS!  Last month we got pregnant.  Unfortunately I miscarried very early on but WE GOT PREGNANT!  Such a big deal!  I feel better than I ever have and my hormones are so much better all thanks to not eating grains, dairy, and sugar!

hippie.gifmom to DS 9/8/8 sleepytime.gif, married to my best friend since 10/15/05 love.gif, asl.gif,lactivist.gif, After TTC #2 for a really long time we're expecting #2 in December!  Hope to h20homebirth.gif, Doula in the Indianapolis area, PM me if you want to talk!

#5 of 5 Old 12-02-2011, 02:11 PM

YES. the change was huge for me, it took me a while to believe it myself. 

i was trying to get pregnant for about two years - several unsuccessful IUIs, one ICSI...during the preparation for the next IVF, i went paleo. this i did instinctively, without knowing of any blogs, web sites etc, simply wanted to get rid of as many toxins as possible without having to starve myself...to cut the story short, the next IVF never happened to me, we got pregnant naturally inspite the odds, the result is sleeping in the next room!

needles to say, i try to eat paleo as much as possible even now that i am breasfeeding, apart from smaller carbohydrate cheats i actually don't find it so difficult at all. good luck to all in the similar situation

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page