Yogurt maker to replace Salton 1-qt? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-22-2011, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been happily using my $20 Salton YM9 yogurt maker for a couple of years now, using a 1 qt glass mason jar instead of the plastic one. It worked great and I had a good routine going, until one day the machine stopped working. It only heats to 70 degrees now so the yogurt doesn't set. So I went online to buy a replacement and learned that Salton has discontinued this model and they now go for $150 and up! I'm looking at other yogurt makers but don't see an equivalent model available.

Do any of you use an electric yogurt maker that will hold a larger glass jar? I don't want the little individual jars, and I definitely want a glass container for the yogurt itself. I like using the mason jars I already have but might be willing to buy special jars for the yogurt maker if necessary. Any other options out there?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 11-30-2011, 11:29 AM

I use this method: http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2009/04/13/monday-mission-homemade-yogurt-the-easy-way/  Using quart jars and a plastic cooler.

#3 of 3 Old 12-04-2011, 06:39 PM

I just purchased a yogurt maker from Williams and Sonoma. It comes w the jars but you can use one large one if you wish. I was hoping my quart pyrex maeasuring cup would work but it was too high.  So I found a wider but lower container that fits in perfect.  It was $49.00.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page