Making Perpetual Bone Broth through the week in order to have enough for regular consumption - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-12-2011, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Can we talk "Perpetual Bone Broth"?

http://nourishedkitchen.com/perpetual-soup-the-easiest-bone-broth-youll-make/

I have been perfecting my chicken bone broth over the last year but usually, I can make enough to feed myself and give a little to my toddler (who isn't really interested in just drinking...she's 2).  But there isn't enough for my husband.  He's about as excited about it as the two year old though.  I hope to really convince him how valuable it can be, but my first problem was that we'd never have enough if he did decide to start drinking it.  Then I saw this plan to make it all through the week. 

--What about lead in slow cookers these days?  Does anybody know really know your stuff when it comes to that? What brand?  Mine is old and probably terrible when it comes to lead.  :\  Wondering which is better, broth with lead or no broth at all.

--What about safety...would it worry you to run your crock pot all day, all night?  Every day, even when you're gone from the house?

--Do you think this method really yields healthy broth all week long or do you think that the nutrients are watered down and not worth it by, say, Thursday?

--Is the vinegar needed or not?!!  She doesn't use it with chicken bones.  I was spalshing in ACV.  I hate to keep wasting it if it's not even needed.  Most recipes call for it.

#2 of 8 Old 12-12-2011, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

Quote:

give a little to my toddler (who isn't really interested in just drinking...she's 2).  But there isn't enough for my husband.  He's about as excited about it as the two year old though. We don't "drink" it - we cook with it-soups (both chicken/turkey & beef) about 7 qts per week and 3 to 5 qts of broth used in other ways (rice, sauces, etc)- my 3 year old would never drink it - we get more when it's soup anyways- we use soups year round

--What about lead in slow cookers these days?  Does anybody know really know your stuff when it comes to that? What brand?  Mine is old and probably terrible when it comes to lead.  :\  Wondering which is better, broth with lead or no broth at all. I hate slow cookers and would never risk using one besides, when I make broth I add (for chicken/turkey) lots of veggies and it would never fit with the number of bones and feet I use

--What about safety...would it worry you to run your crock pot all day, all night?  Every day, even when you're gone from the house? nope! I don't like things like that plugged in and besides I have NO control over if the power should suddenly go out (and I am gone for several hours!) and I would not know it-----no yucky germmy stuff in our broth if I can help it

--Do you think this method really yields healthy broth all week long or do you think that the nutrients are watered down and not worth it by, say, Thursday? I would worry about bacteria growth and the use of cooker on all the time- I do not feel they are made for 24/7  use - you should ask the manufacture if they are - I make what I want and freeze and I do not need (for our use) a 24/7 operation going

--Is the vinegar needed or not?!!  She doesn't use it with chicken bones.  I was spalshing in ACV.  I hate to keep wasting it if it's not even needed.  Most recipes call for it. I always add - we don't like it straight and I don't see it as a waste you are getting it- not like it is going down the drain!

also- I don't make broth as her method, I add far more, one thing I use lots of fresh garlic as it cooks, not as an add in later but I would not want an over powering garlic taste four days in and I would not like to be fishing stuff out day after day

when I make broth I make about 15 qts at one time- some weeks I would simply be too busy to have her method going for me and besides I am anti-crock pot

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#3 of 8 Old 12-12-2011, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Thanks for your response.  How come anti-crockpot?  Because of the lead concerns or other reasons?

#4 of 8 Old 12-12-2011, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

#1 lead (some claim not to be??), I have spent $100's on my French (le creuset and copper) cookware and slow cookers simply do not compare, I would also get no real use out of it-it's not like real cooking to me and most items we do not eat "slow cooked", price, amount of space it would take up---no need, no desire!

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#5 of 8 Old 12-12-2011, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just read her post a while back and am giving the perpetual broth a try this week.

So far, I love it! I usually make broth a gallon at a time on the stove and freeze it, then thaw for cooking grains/beans in, but the freeze/thaw process is less convenient for having the broth hot and ready as an instant beverage--I am less likely to actually use bb several times a day if it is frozen. I will keep cooking grains/beans in bb, but this is the best way so far to have the bb conveniently available to where I will actually use it every day just as a beverage or for making gravy, a quick soup, etc.

I am not worried about leaving it running nor am I concerned about lead, and the taste is great--golden, super rich yummy bone broth! I do sprinkle in salt, lemon juice, and garlic into each cup before drinking, and I used acv when I started hte broth.

I have no worries about germs because I boil the broth on high for several hours at the beginning, and it stays simmering on low after that--germs cannot live in that environment.

I think the method is a keeper in my house!

ETA after a week, I LOVE having bone broth hot and ready with this method, and it seems to taste better the longer it cooks, yum! I will give it tomorrow then use what's left, thaw a chicken to slow cook and start over, definitely going to keep it going.

Happy and in love with my family!
#6 of 8 Old 01-20-2012, 01:21 PM

I don't like bone broth and I HATE the way it makes the house smell but if I'm going to choke down two cups a day, I think the perpetual broth is the only way it's going to happen. I picked up a 1.5 qt crock pot to make it in and will take out a cup at a time, replacing it with a cup of water when I do. Twice a day should get it strong enough before the next serving. Fortunately (or something) nobody else in the house wants any, so I don't need to make quarts and quarts at a time.

Sandra

#7 of 8 Old 01-21-2012, 09:11 AM
JMJ

I tried something similar a couple weeks ago and plan to do it again this week.  I put it in my stock pot on the stove and then wrap it in lots of towels for hours at a time.  I can leave it wrapped up in towels overnight and come back in the morning to find it at about 200 degrees still, so I'm not worried about bacterial growth.  I still do make sure that it boils for at least 10-15 minutes just before taking some out.  It's easy to make a daily soup with it going.  I chop up veggies, dump in stock, and then add the veggie scraps to the stock.  I do feel that it is a little more watered down than my stock where I throw 2 chickens into a pot and boil it for 2 days.  It doesn't gel, but it tastes good, and I feel like I'm getting more nutrients out of the bones, and I'd rather have more broth and more nutrients than less broth and less nutrients.  When the weather gets a little bit better, I'm thinking of using my sun oven to do most of the work during the day.  I'm not a big fan of the smell, either, (though it's grown on me), so I wouldn't mind putting it outside.

#8 of 8 Old 01-21-2012, 10:20 PM

Mmmm I like the smell! Especially if there's garlic in the broth eat.gif

Happy and in love with my family!

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page