what's your best food cure for constipation? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2012, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i'm on a weight loss diet, and have pretty much eliminated most everything except low sodium turkey, beans, oatmeal, ice water, black coffee, green tea, fruits, vegetables, and apples -- at least 3 apples a day. these are all supposedly metabolism-revving foods, and low fat as well.

perhaps i have screwed up my digestion by altering my diet so much. 

but i would love to poop more often. i *think* i am not clinically constipated, for which the criteria appears to be fewer than three times a week. but they aren't large poops, and they are not very loose. 

and, frankly, i am watching the scale, and would love to poop a couple of pounds out.

not to mention, i eat SO many fresh vegetables and SO much fruit salad. tonight i ate a big bowl of kidney beans. 

and yet it isn't coming out.

could it be that i am so low on calories, that i am utilizing it ALL?? 

and i have been pretty good about eating three whole apples a day. isn't this full of fiber?

when i was pregnant the second time i became severely constipated, and eventually passed a super duper enormous extremely painful poop. i don't wish to repeat that experience. it was *horrible*.

can anyone recommend what i might eat in this situation, in order to have more regular poops? a bowl of beans a day?? WDYT?

ps: i do push the ice water, too. i'm pretty sure i consume the 8 - 12 glasses a day. 8 ounce glasses, anyway.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Add in more fruits.  While the foods you mentioned are helpful they don't do exactly what you need.  I tried a cleansing diet once and lost 5 lbs I didnt' want to lose in one week.  I"m pretty sure I lived on the toilet that week.  I have issues with diets though.  I think it's best to eliminate foods that do nothing whatsoever as a fuel source and move.  I know a lot of people have issues finding time to work out but one of my methods with a few people I work with is to go about your day doing what you have to do and add in some work out as you go.  One lady jogs in place while she folds laundry and does that for 30 minutes a day.  I have one lady that was able to get her kids involved.  They homeschooled and would do pushups/crunches every 30 minutes during school work, get back up and not miss a beat.  Since I can no longer work out in the way I used to I do glute exercises while I sit and tummy exercises as well.  My butt doesn't look like Coco's but I'm getting there. 

Old 01-03-2012, 05:25 AM

Add veggies like red beets or cabbage. And don't believe the hype that whole grain breads, etc., are full of fiber. If you compare a pound of bread and a pound of coleslaw, bread will lose.

Bratwurst & Sauerkraut are traditional food for a reason.

Beans are not all that either. You don't need foods that "have some fiber in them", you need foods that are mostly water and fiber. Like carrots. And eat them raw.

Prunes and dried apricots are not bad. In the meanwhile, you could try a fiber supplement.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:46 AM

I would suggest fermented foods like kraut or kim chee, yogurt, kombucha, kefir.  And/or adding some fat into your diet, even if it's just a Tbs of CO daily taken therapeutically (that's guaranteed to get me moving).  I'm not a believer in the "healthfulness" of the low fat diet to begin with, and you seem to have taken it right down to the wire.  Your body is trying to tell you something.

Also, without fat your body cannot absorb the nutrients present in your vegetable matter.  Your body requires fat to function, or it will shut down eventually. 

I'd also avoid the coffee, since that can contribute to the problem. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 01-04-2012, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

my favorite recipe in case of constipation is green soup

- half green beans (cheapest and easiest to buy frozen)

- half spinach (frozen too !)

optional : fresh coriander leaves or basil (or a dash of .. frozen coriander leaves or basil !)

cook for 25 minutes, liquidize with a hand held blender,

serve a bowl with either a tablespoon of cream or a tablespoon of coconut oil

also, when in season, I like a mixed salad based on fresh spinach leaves, which I hand cut very small

and to which I add whatever I have on hand, like small pieces of red pepper, grated celeriac

... or left over cooked vegetables from the day before !

how much in quantity ? when what comes out has green bits in it or get much more soft than usual, then ...you are there !

if I'm desperate, I can have a bowl of soup every 3 hours or so ... until I start to feel that things are moving in the right direction ...

Old 01-05-2012, 10:08 AM

I strongly believe people struggle loosing weight since they don't eat according to their metabolism, according to their nutritional needs that are based in one’s genes, not in some philosophy or belief. There are probably 86 "diets" now on the market claiming to be the one and only, but neither of these are customized for your unique metabolism.

Since we are unique on a biochemical level as we are in our fingerprints! What works for one person may have no effect on another person and may make a third person worse!

Your body is definitely telling you that the diet you chose is not the one that fits your metabolism. I know people that are strong protein types and are really regular with their bowel movements by eating large amounts of fat and protein. Then there are people that need an increase of veggies and fruits and less fat and protein. We are all so different. Once you KNOW what foods to eat to stay balanced and control weight any kind of "weight loss" diets are not needed.

I;ve seen somebody mentioning fermented foods - although I love them, home make them and recommend them, I have to tell you that not too many people can tolerate them well. I've seen it too often. Also, with certain health conditions they are not recommended and they can have the opposite effect by constipate you even more.

As far as constipation - to get you out of the "constipation state", temporarily, I suggest : magnesium citrate, a "flush" with bentonite and psyllium husks, extra non-acidic vitamin C (temporarily) and even coffee enemas (if you think you can do that..). That should do it. If you need help with dosage and preparation let me know. 

Old 01-05-2012, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

also drink a lot and do more exercice

(I couldn't go to my regular dance classes for nearly a month & saw a difference,

... and then saw a difference again shortly after my first class ...)

Old 01-05-2012, 01:07 PM

I was reading something not to long about eating for your blood type.  I think DH gave me the information it was quite interesting.  I'm going to search for it when I get home. 

Old 01-05-2012, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDouble View Post

Add veggies like red beets or cabbage. And don't believe the hype that whole grain breads, etc., are full of fiber. If you compare a pound of bread and a pound of coleslaw, bread will lose.

Bratwurst & Sauerkraut are traditional food for a reason.

Beans are not all that either. You don't need foods that "have some fiber in them", you need foods that are mostly water and fiber. Like carrots. And eat them raw.

Prunes and dried apricots are not bad. In the meanwhile, you could try a fiber supplement.

This is exactly what my doctor told me.  She said whenever I eat fiber to be sure to  drink a big glass or 2) of water immediately following.  She suggested things like popcorn even.  But to be sure to drink a lot of water with it.  Cantaloupe is also good for me personally.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:41 PM

To Imakcerka : Eating for your blood type is just a piece of the big puzzle and just a small part of a very complex concept called the Healthexcel System of Metabolic Typing. It is not enough to accurately determine the diet that is right for your metabolism.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:57 PM

When I feel that way I eat lots of raw celery and fresh pears or plums.  Berries help, too.  Hope you get relief soon!

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
Old 01-07-2012, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

update: i got my cure. i bought some 99 cents fruit that turned out to be more than a day old. it tasted funny. my 5 yo daughter gave me a funny look when she started eating it and i told her to spit it out, so she doesn't get diarrhea. which made me think... hmmm... maybe i should eat it. so i choked down a piece.

it was melon.

i sorta regret it. sorta not. at least i only ate one piece. the stuff smelled. i got mild stomach cramps. lots of gas. i started pooping every time i peed. (TMI, sorry). the next day i finally had a huuuugggge poop. the day after that i got my period, which was 10 days late. 

i attribute the late period to the dieting. i have been on a low fat diet. what was unfortunate/interesting is that i had *just* gotten to a point of "F-it" and ate a bit of junk. the half of my son's hamburger that i would have tossed instead, i ate it. several small pieces of Christmas mint fudge that was still in the cookie tin.

the next morning i finally started to bleed.

this is me. before i get my period i get very constipated, very water retaining. then it ALL comes out together.

so now i'm back to equalibrium.

but thanks for all the food suggestions. i have some beets and i ate some coleslaw, and i will eat it again. i have HUGE homemade fruit salad and am eating generous portions of it every day as well as vegetable salad.

and really pushing the water.

i do suspect the STRONG black coffee is contributing to drying me out. i have very few vices, especially those that give me energy. don't know if i can give up the strong black coffee...

Old 01-11-2012, 07:35 AM

Black coffee always helped me yobagoya... and yes that's the term we use... mostly because my little one sounds so cute yelling... "I gotta yobagya!!!"  Her teacher laughed her butt off the first time she heard it.  She was like really?!

Old 01-21-2012, 01:30 AM

Water and more water. prunes can help, lettuce, greens.

Tags
Traditional Foods
User Tag List