Fermented Veggies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-14-2012, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My only experience with fermentation so far has been with kefir water and beer. I love my fermented beverages so much, I think I'm ready to dive into the world of fermented food! I'd like to start with fermented ginger carrots, but I'm currently dairy free so I'd like to avoid using whey. Does anyone know if it's possible to do it without whey? Any insight would be great. Thanks!

Single Mama to Vincent 3/30/09
#2 of 3 Old 01-14-2012, 01:26 PM

Double the celtic sea salt.  I am pretty sure that is what Sally Fallon says to do.  

Funny I just whipped up a batch of kimchi.  And since my hands are still burning because I am not smart enough to wear gloves I will post the recipe.

I head of napa cabbage in excellent condition- cut it up (I shred mine into about 1/4" strips)

grated ginger- I use about 2"

4 cloves of chopped garlic

2 t crushed red pepper

2 T celtic sea salt

mix an knead in a big bowl until the water starts coming out of the cabbage- might take about 10 minutes.  Pack in canning jars and make sure there is liquid over the cabbage.  Seal and leave on the counter for a couple of days then refrigerate. 

I have made quarts of this before and just put them in my pantry and they do fine.

I also love fermented turnips which are sooo easy.

Peel and cut your turnips into matchsticks and pack tightly in a canning jar.  Add 2 T celtic sea salt to it and fill with filtered water.  Put on the lid and let it do its thing.  Amazing after a couple of weeks.

We aren't huge fans of the gingered carrots here.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#3 of 3 Old 01-15-2012, 08:34 AM
JMJ

I think Sally Fallon's gingered carrots are way too salty already.  You can use a vegetable starter culture like Body Ecology.  I'm pretty sure Cultures for Health has ones you can order.

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page