GAPS or GAPS-curious support thread? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 50 Old 09-06-2012, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Dove84- your diet sounds like mine.  but i feel great for 3-5 days without potatoes or soured rice bread.  i think a lot is metabolism, as i have gained at least 10lbs at 17 weeks.  but if i go too long w/out potatoes/starch/sweetener, then i get headaches and nausea.  that is usually quickly resolved with a nice carb-rich treat.  so, i still consider myself doing GAPS as the healing part is a priority, but with a variation for pregnancy.

and my husband certainly says that butter line about me, and our kids....

joy.gifSAHM and Holistic Health Counselor with  angel.gif 1/05, DS1 blahblah.gif 3/06, angel1.gif 5/07, DD1 dust.gif 3/08, DD2 thumbsuck.gif 11/09, DD3 energy.gif 4/11, and DS2 babyf.gif 2/13.  expecting a surprise stork-suprise.gif 8/14!
#32 of 50 Old 09-10-2012, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

fyi to the pp whose DH thinks he's lactose intolerant...wheat damages the cells on the brush border of the small intestine where lactase is made.  so all of those who are lactose intolerant are also intolerant of wheat.

#33 of 50 Old 09-10-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by provocativa View Post

fyi to the pp whose DH thinks he's lactose intolerant...wheat damages the cells on the brush border of the small intestine where lactase is made.  so all of those who are lactose intolerant are also intolerant of wheat.

Are you saying wheat damages the lining for everyone, or only those allergic to, or intollerant of, wheat?

Do you have support for the claim?
#34 of 50 Old 11-13-2012, 10:34 AM

I'm so glad to see this thread! Is everyone still on the diet? It looks like it's been a couple of months since the last post.

We've been on the diet for several months and are seeing improvements and are doing well, overall. I'd love to be able to keep up with others who are in the process.

#35 of 50 Old 11-14-2012, 11:13 AM

oh wow!  it has been a while!  i've been 97% GAPS- i did have some quinoa.....  and other than potatoes, soured brown rice, and quinoa, the whole house is pretty much on the bandwagon.  homemade stocks and all!  we're full-GAPS and do great on it.  

please- post on what you're doing, what's working, what's challenging and how people are responding in your family and community!  

i'm making GAPS desserts for thanksgiving this year- my almond flour/lard crust is AMAZING and apple pies don't need more than a drizzle of honey anyways!

how are you approaching the holidays?

joy.gifSAHM and Holistic Health Counselor with  angel.gif 1/05, DS1 blahblah.gif 3/06, angel1.gif 5/07, DD1 dust.gif 3/08, DD2 thumbsuck.gif 11/09, DD3 energy.gif 4/11, and DS2 babyf.gif 2/13.  expecting a surprise stork-suprise.gif 8/14!
#36 of 50 Old 11-14-2012, 01:40 PM

Okay, good! I know someone who has come through the diet, which is great, but it would be SO nice to talk to others who are going through it currently.

The whole family is doing GAPS. My husband, my two boys 8 and 5, and myself. I had a lot of allergies growing up and took tons of antibiotics and bcp prior to having my boys. I think my gut health was wrecked and I passed that onto him. I think my husband been fighting yeast issues for years and all of us tested positive for yeast overgrowth prior to GAPS. In addition, we have/had other issues such as caries, headaches, constipation, acne, food allergies, just to name a few. Nothing major really, but enough to make me want to do a reboot....We started GAPS almost 4 months ago and my headaches went away right away and have not come back. Constipation issues are pretty much gone, too. I think, from how my tongue looks, that the yeast is getting under control, but not sure it's gone yet. My oldest son's allergies are much, much better. He was downing Zyrtec twice a day and not just needs it occasionally. So we are seeing some progress!

I think we're doing pretty much everything aside from juicing (ds8 can't do raw apples or carrots and those are cheapest and tastiest). If you juice, and have any advice, let me know! We do some Bio-kult, but we're kind of conservative with it since it's so expensive and we do kefir water, milk kefir with goat's milk, kombucha, sauerkraut, etc. Hmm, what else. We're pretty strict on full GAPS right now. I can't wait to add in some things like quinoa, oats, sweet potatoes, but want to give it some time, first.

We've had really good support from family! My mother-in-law is really getting into healthy eating and my mom would like to be. We're homeschoolers so we don't have to mess with that side of it. Friends have been a bit dubious, but keep their comments to themselves! winky.gif

Are you willing to share your crust recipe? We're hosting Thanksgiving so we'll be fine sticking to the diet. Christmas will be harder, so not sure how I'll approach that yet. On T-Day we'll be able to have turkey, salad, and I found a squash/apple casserole dish that looks good. I think I'll be able to make a good cranberry sauce, too, just subbing honey for sugar. Any other ideas? What are you guys doing?

#37 of 50 Old 11-14-2012, 05:52 PM

hey- you're in St. Louis!  that's where my husband's from!  so our in-laws are out there.  we visit once a year or so.  

I learned about the diet AFTER pretty much going on it to heal myself (noticing that grains and starches and i did not do well) - so here's some encouragement.  hubby's chronic yeast issues (when my son had thrush after antibiotics at birth, my husband looked in the mirror and said 'um, i think i might have that problem too') that were life long healed up over the last few years, and he's not 100% GAPS.  read the book about 3 years ago (my raw milk friend said 'hey- this is what you do!') and it filled in the details about why what was working was working, and gave me tips on how to heal more.  I was healing from years of illnesses, allergies (loved my zyrtec), skin issues, fertility issues, and emotional/mental struggles and can say that at this point I am very healthy.  But I also keep making choices to heal, every day, even if it's not easy.

for juicing, i didn't like carrots or apples (too sweet and hurt the tummy sometimes) so i did cucumber based juices.  i would often do kale/cucumber/lettuce/green apple juice when pregnant.  sometimes w/ celery, or other greens, but usually the kale cucumber and something else.  ginger is nice, but sometimes i would make it too strong.  lately we haven't juiced as we got a farm share, and there's not enough veggies in a farm share for a family of 6 to juice and eat!  at least not in the amounts worth juicing!  but in the summer i would juice watermelon rinds, (the melon is sweeter whole, not juiced oddly enough) but also just made lots of smoothies in my vita-mix.  i'd like to juice again, but it's not a huge priority right now.

we stepped away from the probiotics after a while as well- price and also not a clear benefit to cost ratio.  i'm the only one who really needed healing as i had done GAPS before most of my births, and none of my kids after my son have ever had probiotics or any health issues.  i usually make my own kimchi, kraut, and kombucha.  i've done the yogurt, but the kids like their raw milk just fine and they are healthy on it (and raw colostrum, my farm is amazing) so i haven't felt the need to fix that.  i've slacked on kimchi and kraut, but we have local raw fermenters i can buy it from.  joy.gif

homeschoolers here too!  and we just moved to a community where many parents have tried dietary changes for their children's health, so we have a lot of support.

I'll work on the crust recipe and get it to you.  i don't measure normally, but it's almond flour (ground in my omega juicer), and salt and lard.  i mix it with my hands, i think something like 1/3 cup lard to 2 cups almond flour, and a dash of salt, mixed w/ hands.  i use wax paper to roll it out (chilling makes it brittle) and then make top and bottom crusts.  i'll measure in the next few days and get back to you on more accurate details.  you can use butter, i just get free lard from the farm, and have to buy butter, so my baking is done w/ lard!  it's a simple recipe to play with and i just fill the crust and go!  

Blessings and peace-

#38 of 50 Old 11-14-2012, 06:31 PM

Thanks for the response! It's great hearing how this diet has helped others. We are on full GAPS right now and so are in that holding pattern. We've pretty much added in all that we can add, but aren't healed yet. Somehow it was easier when the diet was more restricted, but we always had something new to look forward to, ya know? I just have to have faith in the process, I guess, and realize it will take some time and that's okay. 

I love the tip about juicing cucumber! I'm going to the grocery store tomorrow so I'll pick up some!

So glad to hear your hubby was healed of the yeast even without being on GAPS totally. I try not to do many carbs, but I'm afraid to go carb free even to heal the yeast. Unfortunately, I did carb-free diets in the past to lose weight and I really think it took a toll on my adrenals? Metabolism? Something. For years I couldn't not get past week 2 of any workout program/regime before my energy would crash. Now that I'm on GAPS with some fruit, honey, carrots, etc, I find I'm cruising along just fine. 

What are some of your family's favorite GAPS meals?

#39 of 50 Old 11-20-2012, 08:58 AM

it does take time.  i'm a heath counselor and have walked many families through GAPS and none of them have regretted it or come out at the other side without life-changing benefits.  but also most of them have been on it for well over a year....

okay- i used elanaspantry (my only baking site) to get a rough crust idea a few years ago.

so it's 1 1/2 cups almond flour to 1/4 cup fat (i use lard or butter)

i sometimes add a touch of salt, or just a hint of sweetener, but usually just do the flour and fat and sometimes baking soda (not always)

http://www.elanaspantry.com/chocolate-cream-pie/

#40 of 50 Old 11-21-2012, 10:18 AM

Awesome! Thank you so much!

It's good to hear it takes time. We all got sick this past week and I was really bummed. I think my expectations are too high, sometimes.

Happy Thanksgiving!

#41 of 50 Old 05-14-2013, 08:40 PM

This is an old thread, but I'm hoping to revive it as we embark on GAPS. I've attempted the GAPS intro twice in the last year. I've caved after three days both times! The first time I tired to get the whole family to do it and I think that imploded because I hadn't prepared well, so I was making bone broth pretty much non-stop the whole time and was so exhausted and grumpy and dealing with whining kids I just couldn't take it. The second time I attempted it on my own and the sight of my family eating other foods drove me over the edge. But, after many more months and the confirmation that two of my children and I have food intolerances (eggs, dairy, gluten based on IgG testing), I am recommitted. I don't want to spend the rest of my life avoiding eggs and I certainly don't want my kids to deal with that forever. My oldest son (8) is also struggling with behavior issues that just seemed to pop up out of nowhere about 18 months ago. He's so volatile, the smallest "no" will send him into a toddler-like tantrum. He's also struggling with bed wetting, eczema and migraines. My second son (6) has been complaining of stomach aches for months now and is off and on constipated. My two other kids (ages 4 and 1) don't have any obvious symptoms, but neither did my 8 and 6 year olds at that age, so I hope their benefit is preventative. 

I'm a poster child for GAPS - have struggled for years with acne, skin rashes, infertility. I was on antibiotics for almost 3 years straight in college to try to deal with the acne. I was on the BCP for 10 years. I took Accutane for 6 months when I was 22. I was a vegetarian for about 10 years and a diet coke addict for about 25 years. Ugh. By the time I discovered the error of my ways I was a mess. I had three of my kids before discovering traditional foods and I'm sure I passed on some pretty sub-par gut bacteria. My fourth child might fair better, but although I ate healthy when I was pregnant with her, the damage to my body had been done. My breasts never developed properly (not sure why - sometimes I wonder if it was because I started drinking tons of diet coke at age 8) and I was unable to breastfeed any of my kids. It was absolutely heartbreaking for me. I used some donor milk (from my sister, who conveniently had her first three kids at around the same time as mine) and a friend. But mostly they drank formula. My fourth drank homemade formula using raw milk, but I started that when she was about 3 months old. So we all need some help.

So - anyone else getting ready for intro? I'm preparing now and planning to start the 3rd week of June. My parents visit for 3 weeks before that and I know it will be hard to be on intro with them in the house. I have a question - once you're through intro and into full GAPS, can you maintain the healing process on a 80-90% GAPS diet? We have so many visitors coming this summer and a trip to the beach planned. I don't plan on letting my kids go hog-wild, but I can't imagine saying no to a popsicle on the beach or to the take-out pizza someone orders when we're staying with all their cousins. But will letting some things slide a bit take away the benefits if its only a few weeks after intro? These are the kind of concerns that stop me from ever starting because I can never envision when we will have months on end without some party or vacation or visit from family that will seriously test our limits. Maybe everyone else just holds a firm no to anything GAPS-illegal? I'm such a bad guy to my kids when it comes to food (as I'm sure many of you are too - no packaged foods, kombucha instead of sprite, etc.) that I just DREAD being an even *badder* guy to them. My 8 year old is frequently known to say things like "I wish I lived with so-and-so because HIS mom isn't so worried about things being healthy all the time!" as he storms out of the kitchen. (again, hoping his moody outbursts get better through GAPS).

#42 of 50 Old 05-15-2013, 07:34 AM

Berry as this an old thread and not a very active one I'd suggest to go the GAPS Yahoo Group for support, it is awsome and the ladies over there very knowledgeable.

Just a note though, you should not drink bone broth on Intro just meat broth.

This is an excellent article that explains why:

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/stock-vs-broth-are-you-confused/

Wish you all the best!

I've been through the diet and healed substantially even without doing the Intro (breastfeeding and now pregnant).

#43 of 50 Old 05-22-2013, 02:39 PM

Berry,

We're just about to hit our 2-year mark on GAPS. We've stuck to it as close to 100% as we can. I'm not sure how much healing will happen if compliance is 80-90%. I've eaten GAPS-friendly food that weren't necessarily friendly to me and had reactions (usually eczema, acne, vertigo, and/or headaches). My son and daughter were the same way (stereotypy behavior for my son and skin problems for my daughter). It could take a few days to a month after eating the offending foods for things to return to normal. Those sort of reactions happened in the first year to year and a half on the diet, so I would push for hitting as close to 100% during that time frame if you can. Everyone is different though, as well as their needs and healing, so I'd play it by ear and hope for the best!

GAPS can be tough and frustrating and alienating, but it's been absolutely worth it for us. I was just talking with the Hubs about transitioning off GAPS, and as far as he's concerned, he wants to eat like this for the rest of his life because he didn't realize how good he could feel. It really has been incredible.

There are a LOT more recipes available now than when we started, which helps to re-create processed foods. That sounds bad, but every once in a while it's nice. We've eaten pizza and make our own popsicles, we eat muffins and cupcakes and cake with frosting... That's not how we normally eat of course, but it's a nice treat should the occasion arise. Plus, when they're GAPS-friendly, you don't have to worry about bad reactions.

I have a kid on my arm now, but best of luck to you and your family!

#44 of 50 Old 05-22-2013, 03:56 PM

We're closing in on one year on GAPS. We were very, very strict for the first 9 months - even through the holidays. I just made sure to make my kids GAPS-friendly treats (including popsicles) and they never complained. After 9 months we started straying a bit here and there, but stick to GAPS at home. We also do Juice Plus and digestive enzymes. 

I know digestive enzymes aren't necessary to healing - and not everyone can afford them - but since we've started them we've seen increased healing. Also, I finally saw a naturopath and she diagnosed me with adrenal fatigue and put me on several supplements that have also greatly improved my health. All this to say: I think GAPS is awesome, but don't be afraid to use it in conjunction with other natural healing remedies! You may be able to move through GAPS quite quickly. Just a thought.

OSTC likes this.
#45 of 50 Old 06-15-2013, 06:12 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hi there! I curious about the GAPS diet but not sure it's for us. I think I have some major stuff going on in terms of my GI. Just over a year ago I radically changed my diet. I was a vegetarian for almost 20 years & felt wrecked after pregnancy. I did an elimination diet while still vegetarian & felt great with less gluten. Now we eat meat & are now mostly TF.

But it's now apparent that over the last year I haven't been absorbing iron or B12. I'm working on this with my doc & am having adrenals tested too. But I'm guessing my gut has some healing to do. GAPS seems like such a huge commitment & I don't want to do it if something less will do the trick. I'm going to try an elimination diet first, per my doc's recommendation.

I've also heard of The Probiotics Revolution, which seems to be more mainstream - I'm not sure if it includes a protocol for gut healing.

I guess I'm kind of trying to gear myself up for GAPS but still feeling a bit unsure. Also, working full time I'm not even sure how I could make this work!! Thanks for reading.

Mama to my little busy bee. 

#46 of 50 Old 06-17-2013, 11:42 AM

I wish I could tell you, for sure, what GAPS will do for you, but we are all individuals. I read an interesting blog post recently that reminded me that the reason GAPS is so effective is because it eliminates grains and starches which starves out bad yeast, bacteria, and parasites. Otherwise, even the healthiest of TF/WF diets is only going to take you so far. So something to consider. 

I can't imagine how hard GAPS would be while working full-time. I'm guessing you guys would rely heavily on soups and eggs. On the weekends/evenings you could make double or triple batches of things like muffins and use those for snacks/desserts/breakfasts. 

You could try just incorporating soup or broth once a day, while taking probiotics and enzymes? See how that goes? I wish there was an easy answer!

t2009 likes this.
#47 of 50 Old 06-29-2013, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thank you sparkprincess for your candid reply. I realize it'd be really difficult to do this while working full time. I imagine I'm sort of gearing myself up for the amount of kitchen work I'll be doing when I'm at home. Luckily DH is about equally active in the kitchen & is very supportive.

And it looks like it's more likely now that we'll end up on GAPS - my doctor suspects that I have Celiac. I am so deficient in iron & B12 & folate (& boarderline in D & other vitamins) that she is thinking I certainly have malabsorption (I've been supplementing & the minute I stop my levels dip, regardless of a healthy diet of good meats & unprocessed foods) & I did do any elimination diet 1 1/2 years ago & got some headaches after reintroducing gluten.

Sorry TMI. But I'm really trying to psyche myself up about GAPS because if it's celiac then I will have to be 100%!!

A slightly different question: DH & I think it'd be good for DS too (in part so that we're not preparing separate meals & in part because he has slightly low iron & has recently had to undergo multiple rounds of abx & since then has been very hyper). So how do you deal with school & GAPS?! Since he doesn't have major issues, do we let his diet slide at school? If not how on earth can we make it work? That have a hot lunch program we were planning on participating in, not to mentions snacks, birthday celebrations, etc. the school serves very healthy food compared to most schools but still.

Thank you!!

Mama to my little busy bee. 

#48 of 50 Old 06-29-2013, 12:24 PM

I'm still trying to figure out all the specifics on GAPS, but I'm pretty sure we do something fairly similar with my daughter, who has severe food allergies.  She eats no gluten, dairy, soy, corn, or sugar.

#49 of 50 Old 06-29-2013, 02:53 PM

Oh I wasn't trying to dissuade you! I do have a (single) friend who did GAPS while working full time. She would do all of her cooking for the week on Saturdays. So, it can be done! Just trying to be realistic. I hate when people push something or act like something is a cure-all.

The nice thing about intro is that you are limited on what you can eat so you are limited on what you can cook. If I could go back, I would have done some prepping before starting GAPS. I would have made up about 6 jars of sauerkraut, I would have made up about 4-6 chickens, pulled the meat off and stored the meat and broth in serving sizes in bags in the freezer. I would have relied more heavily on frozen veggies - either organic frozen or stuff that I put up myself. 

I'm not sure about school because we're homeschoolers. How do you think he'll like GAPS foods? If he would be happy eating what you guys eat and then doing whatever at school, you could try that. Especially if he doesn't have any major issues. Sounds like a compromise might be easier. You could try that first and see if there are any improvements?

I can relate to the gluten. I went gluten free prior to GAPS and really did feel better. Started GAPS 6/8 weeks later and continued to improved. 

Sorry to hear about the malabsorption. I think that GAPS could really help you with that. Keep us posted!

#50 of 50 Old 07-03-2013, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I am planning on doing a modified GAPS.  We are not going to do the intro because no one has any severe issues.  I have the worst issues and I may or may not go to the intro at a later time.  

Loving wife hug2.gif and Mama to hippie.gifBella (11), joy.gifArydona (6), guitar.gifKai (5) and Trin candle.gif born sleeping on 12/21/13 makebabe.gif ttc our next bundle of joy! ....intactlact.gif,hang.gif  homeschool.gif  

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page