GAPS or GAPS-curious support thread? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 50 Old 01-14-2012, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone interested in an ongoing GAPS support discussion/chat thread? If there is one already, please direct me to it.

We are taking the plunge . . . Slowly! And I would love so much to have some btdt or planning to get started folks to commiserate with. I have been feeling like it's really necessary for a while now, and I'm taking steps to get there, basically planning on going in reverse down the stages til we get to intro and then back out again as healing allows.

Anyway, I know so little about how it pans out in the everyday REAL nitty gritty, so I'd love some insight. In fact, I read on a blog some folks starting intro virtually together! That would be awesome!

Happy and in love with my family!
#2 of 50 Old 01-15-2012, 04:28 PM

Hi there!

I love talking about the GAPS diet. We did GAPS intro a year ago (did the intro for 6 weeks) and have continued to stay on full GAPS foods since (well, 97% of what we eat is GAPS legal). It was myself, my then 6 yr old and 2 yr old doing the GAPS. I highly recommend doing the full GAPS first for at least a month or so, then moving into the intro. There's also a very active GAPS yahoo group with lots of info.

I found the intro much easier (cooking wise) than full gaps because there was less food choices. I was cooking/cleaning up what seemed like all day but again, no thought into meal prep. There was an unbelivable amount of healing that went on in our house because of the intro and this is what made it all worth it. I won't lie and I warn anyone who will be doing the intro...we felt like crap during the intro (not everyone does but be prepared)! This is also why it's best to do the full gaps first.The worst was the first 2 weeks, then came the healing and then eventually moving to full gaps.

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#3 of 50 Old 01-15-2012, 04:37 PM

I think GAPS is a great discussion! I'm curious so I'm posting Q & A:

Why are you wanting to do the GAPS diet? I wanted to do it because my 6 yr old refused to eat anything but beans/rice and honey/almond butter on sprouted wheat bread. Very little veggies and no meat. And she was very hyper almost all the time (acting out, screaming, not being able to sit still). And my 2 yr old still needed to heal her gut from her sensory issues that still lingered.

If you have done GAPS, how did it go? It went great! Hard during the intro (6 yr old and I just laid around the first 2 weeks) but then amazing healing went on. 6 yr old starting eating meat and veggies. She actually turned into a different child (that I once remembered)...very calm in her body again, no acting out, no screaming. And the 2 yr old made major strides with her sensory issues and now all her sensory issues have since resolved (thank you God!). Neither one of them are that picky about foods anymore and both love a large variety veggies! We're still doing full gaps and have no plans on ever going back to our original diet (that was still healthy) because it's worked for us so well.

Who will be/had participated in the GAPS diet? Myself, 6 yr old dd & 2 yr old dd

#4 of 50 Old 01-17-2012, 12:37 PM

I am currently waiting for my GAPS book to arrive! I'm super excited. We started the intro in October, but it only lasted a couple days since I found out we are expecting our third child on day 2 of intro. I managed to continue full GAPS for another week or so (maybe 2 weeks) but with the pregnancy, and some other challenges that were happening, we ended up quitting. I'm now 19 weeks pregnant, I have a 4 1/2 year old DS and 2 year old DD, both have food allergies, DS has severe dog/cat allergies. Thankfully their food allergies are mild, but I would love for them to experience total gut healing. And hopefully see healing for the environmental allergies in DS.

Mentally and behaviorally, up until this point, DS has seemed totally fine, but, in the past couple of months, I've noticed a couple different issues. He has trouble in structured environments just sitting still for any length of time, like at church... in his class, he refuses to sit at the table with the other children (most of whom are younger than him). We attend a 0-5 group that helps with school readiness, and they usually do a craft project, and he rarely sits for that. He sometimes has trouble sitting to listen to a story (but it may be he just isn't interested much in being read to any more since he already reads on his own). Anyway, this particular group takes suggestions from parents about topics to discuss, and I asked about how to engage him in these types of environments, and the group facilitator mentioned ADD/ADHD. (This is the second time in a couple weeks I've heard this, he had been on breathing medication as a result of dog/cat exposure, and I called the pharmacy to ask about side effects, and the pharmacist suggested that too!) That was really frustrating, but since I've dealt with some ADD symptoms throughout my life (never actually diagnosed or anything) I started to consider it. Anyway, I'd just really like to read more about GAPS and how all that works. Not sure when we might start up again, I just don't really want to start/stop repeatedly.

We probably can't do full GAPS and then transition to the intro, since DS has allergies to milk and egg whites. DD's allergy is to milk too, and I'm off dairy now since I had been having major sinus issues with this pregnancy. So we may just wait to start after the new baby arrives.

So interesting to read other people's experiences with GAPS!

#5 of 50 Old 01-18-2012, 11:29 AM

Hi there,  I went on gaps nearly 2 years ago.  I realized I needed to change my diet mostly because of IBS and fatigue/headaches/bloatedness. 

I weaned myself off of the gluten free/casien free diet I had been on (since forever) and it took me nearly 3 months to get really in sync with the diet.  Once I did, I did the intro for the recommended 3 days and then followed the protocol for the stages of the diet... oh, there is a diet called the Specific Carbohydrate Diet that is 99% identical to the GAPS diet.  I was actually following their recommended stages.

Anyway, the diet has gone fabulous.  I noticed a difference as soon as my body 'cleared' most of the toxic food in my digestive tract and I was no longer eating those foods that I couldn't tolerate and digest.  The process of healing and detoxing has taken many, many months and actually continues today.  I was in real detox mode for at least 6 months.  My symptoms were on and off, severe and then less severe and then severe again.  New symptoms emerged as my body began to detox.  After about six months it seemed to all level off.  The diet itself was far easier since I was used to it, and a great many of the severe symptoms have gone and not returned.  I think there are deeper levels of healing that take place the longer I remain on the diet... I will always eat this way... and in fact think everyone should:)

ONly I am on the diet... my DH and DD are very non compliant.

not all who wander are lost
#6 of 50 Old 01-21-2012, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Why GAPS?
Primarily for adhd and mood issues in all of us and behavior stuff and quirsky asd type symptoms in dd.

Who will be on it?
The whole fandamily: me, dh, dd 8yo, ds 1.5 yo, at least at home dh will go along thos he has a fast food habit and sweet tooth that he indulges at work (people always bringing sweets and pizza, etc). Dd is the real reason for doing this, and I will be doing it along with her and hopefully keeping at it strictly . . .

What I'm having trouble with is reconciling thst this is for an indefinite time period--- maybe a really long time! I know anything that gives dd a chance at healing is worth it, tho.

She had a very strong reaction to something we ate. Her ears swelled up and neck got rashy. It was pretty freaky! I know most folks probably wouldve gone to the hospital greensad.gif I kept an eye on it, and her fever was low, the redness and swelling is continuousy going down, so I'm trusting her body and havent given benadryl, only belladonna which did seem to help.

She has had probably five ear infections this year greensad.gif we've got to get to the bottom of this! I was so worried for her when these same syptoms came back only stronger than I've seen yet. I believe it is the carb die off thinghappening and that her body is reacting more strongly as we get closer to gaps intro.

We hadnt yet eliminated dairy or eggs and have been relying heavily on those to bridge the loss of grains. So I suspect it was the (raw homemade cultured cheese) dairy, tho maybe eggs. Lordy, not eggs!

So we have started intro today for dd. Luckily, she is a soup and meat lover! I dont know how long I can keep her at intro, though.

She has been weepy and "mourning" the loss of favorite foods, I dont blame her, poor girl. I am mourning our raw dairy, too. In a way, I am glad for the major food reaction because now dh and dd are taking it seriously instead f just hearing me say "I think she has food sensitivities that trigger behavior problems"

Anyways, a whole new world here!

#7 of 50 Old 01-26-2012, 12:57 PM

A whole new world indeed! 

What is that you don't like about keeping the diet up long term? 

I know it is daunting at times but my reaction now to corn is nothing like what it was 3 years ago.  I know I still shouldn't eat it, and I do have a reaction but a tummy ache and wierd poop for 2 days is worth a couple a fresh made corn tortillas sometimes! 

I think once you heal the gut, A LOT more is possible as you go.

I think that most people eat a diet that is killing them slowly... really!  A great many people somehow reach middle age and old age on this SAD diet (standard american diet), but truely the only vibrant healthy people I know eat similarily to me.  Most everyone else is in failing health (people over 50 I know).

There is a growing movement... it will take time, but I think conscious, healthy, whole food eating is the way to go.... who needs grain?

not all who wander are lost
#8 of 50 Old 01-26-2012, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, talk me down! Dd is sobbing and crying and really giving me a hard time about "being on the diet" and she wants to be a normal person and eat normal foods ;( 

Mostly we are struggling with not eating grains. DD is pretty much a typical, carb-addicted "gapsy" kid, and I know in my heart that this will be so good for her, but it really needs to be long term, and she is just really losing it right now and listing off every food that she "can't" have.

I am having a hard time with this. I feel bad that she thinks I'm mean, but I do think that her gut healing is waaaay more important, but I am worried about her developing food control issues and possibly sneaking non-gaps foods. She's really not on board right now, though she has been really positive up until now.

I'd like to do gaps for a year or so and then switch to just a more paleo diet . . . gosh, I really would love to have sourdough non-gluten breads be "allowed" for us . . . it seems like that's a really long time from now . . . AAAAHHHH!!!!

Somebody tell me how to make those pancakes . . . I know dd will feel better is she has pancakes!

#9 of 50 Old 01-26-2012, 05:38 PM

Ok, count us in! This actually sounds easy compared to what we have been doing ((sigh....)).

Dd is 6.5 and has been super, super healthy until a few months ago when she began complaining of stomach aches. We've been TF pretty much since she was born although we rely more on pastured eggs, raw dairy and fish than meat. Will admit, we were lax on the proper prep of grains....

At present, I have her off of *all* grains except for some sprouted corn tortillas (trying to see if she's gluten intolerant and b/c I know grains are generally hard to digest). After a month we have no results :(  So now she's been off of dairy for a week and 1/2. We miss grains, but it wasn't so bad. Now that she's off dairy I feel like I have no idea what to feed her!

Her symptoms are mostly just gas. We don't realy eat a lot of beans, tho do occasionally. I wonder if apples are upsetting her stomach? That might make sense since the tummy troubles began in the fall, and we do eat apples all winter. Hmm....

Advice? I am *all* ears lol!

Re the GAPS diet, wouldn't coconut flour be better than nut flour? We've been making awesome coconut flour pancakes. Also, can we do the soups w/o doing bone broth. I detest bone broths!! And coconut oil is ok right?

I'm so sad to see her tummy hurting her so much lately! And literally, prior to this I think she'd had like one stomach ache in her entire life. She was very gassy as a newborn tho, but that could be b/c she was a  c/s and on formula for the first week.

#10 of 50 Old 01-27-2012, 04:49 PM

Hmmmm...maybe talk to her about her reactions to certain foods, the ear infections etc and how the GAPS can help overcome those issues? Also, the fits that she's having is most likely from the die-off/healing. The die-off/healing makes kids and adults really cranky!

The pancakes...I don't have a recipe (a friend has my GAPS handbook) but if I remember it's cooked/pureed zucchini, coconut flour and coconut oil (or butter) mixed together maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craft_media_hero View Post

Oh, talk me down! Dd is sobbing and crying and really giving me a hard time about "being on the diet" and she wants to be a normal person and eat normal foods ;( 

Mostly we are struggling with not eating grains. DD is pretty much a typical, carb-addicted "gapsy" kid, and I know in my heart that this will be so good for her, but it really needs to be long term, and she is just really losing it right now and listing off every food that she "can't" have.

I am having a hard time with this. I feel bad that she thinks I'm mean, but I do think that her gut healing is waaaay more important, but I am worried about her developing food control issues and possibly sneaking non-gaps foods. She's really not on board right now, though she has been really positive up until now.

I'd like to do gaps for a year or so and then switch to just a more paleo diet . . . gosh, I really would love to have sourdough non-gluten breads be "allowed" for us . . . it seems like that's a really long time from now . . . AAAAHHHH!!!!

Somebody tell me how to make those pancakes . . . I know dd will feel better is she has pancakes!

#11 of 50 Old 01-27-2012, 04:56 PM

The gas could definitely be from yeast die off. Also, raw apples upset my stomach too sometimes...cooked apples might be better (and later w/ butter & cinnamon...yum!) Coconut flour is legal I believe. I think it's a better choice than almond flour unless you soak your own almonds, dehydrate them and then grind them into flour.

Bone broth is at the top of the list for healing the gut. You won't be getting ahead if you don't use it...sorry to say. My 6 yr old dd complained of a stomach ache too in the gaps intro but hers was due to constipation.

Here's an article that may/may not be helpful:

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/the-five-most-common-gaps-diet-mistakes/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attached Mama View Post

Ok, count us in! This actually sounds easy compared to what we have been doing ((sigh....)).

Dd is 6.5 and has been super, super healthy until a few months ago when she began complaining of stomach aches. We've been TF pretty much since she was born although we rely more on pastured eggs, raw dairy and fish than meat. Will admit, we were lax on the proper prep of grains....

At present, I have her off of *all* grains except for some sprouted corn tortillas (trying to see if she's gluten intolerant and b/c I know grains are generally hard to digest). After a month we have no results :(  So now she's been off of dairy for a week and 1/2. We miss grains, but it wasn't so bad. Now that she's off dairy I feel like I have no idea what to feed her!

Her symptoms are mostly just gas. We don't realy eat a lot of beans, tho do occasionally. I wonder if apples are upsetting her stomach? That might make sense since the tummy troubles began in the fall, and we do eat apples all winter. Hmm....

Advice? I am *all* ears lol!

Re the GAPS diet, wouldn't coconut flour be better than nut flour? We've been making awesome coconut flour pancakes. Also, can we do the soups w/o doing bone broth. I detest bone broths!! And coconut oil is ok right?

I'm so sad to see her tummy hurting her so much lately! And literally, prior to this I think she'd had like one stomach ache in her entire life. She was very gassy as a newborn tho, but that could be b/c she was a  c/s and on formula for the first week.

#12 of 50 Old 01-27-2012, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Whew! I think we all were riding through a sugar withdrawal wave or something that day. Can GAPS cause more behavior problems in the beginning? She is wavering between insensitive and rude and hyper emotional and clingy. We have talked about whybwe are doing it, and she gets the facts, but darnit, that girl wants her rice!

Actually, we've been eating great, and I'm starting to not miss the bread and grains as much.

After this last week on intro, I've decided to go to full but only test one new food per week from the foids we suspect might be causing the reactions. I think dd is a lot more likely to feel positive about this if the menu is a little wider. So we're testing egg yolk tonight and will add inthe yard hen eggs if she is fine tomorrow, then maybe next week test tree nut butter. It will be great to get nuts back!

#13 of 50 Old 01-29-2012, 08:00 PM

We started the GAPS intro yesterday, and I was feeling pretty positive but knew the next week or two could be tough - oh boy, did it hit today.  I just knew this would be the right place to come for support, and there your post was right at the top.  :)  

Our whole family is planning to do GAPS, but DH was out of town this weekend and I had been putting off the official start for a month, so I finally just gave myself the deadline of starting now even though he wasn't going to be here.  Big mistake, I definitely recommend having as much adult help on hand as possible when starting the intro diet.  

We're mainly doing the diet for DH (who has IBS like symptoms and thinks he is lactose intolerant, but I think it's gluten) and DS1 - age 6 (ADHD, SPD, etc - did the LEAP/MRT test last April and came up with 35 allergies/sensitivities and has been on a restricted diet since then, but it doesn't really address healing the gut, and I don't think it will be sustainable when he is high school/college age).  But DS2 (4) can be really moody and is my only child who really craves processed foods, and DD (2) can be moody as well, and I thought it would be best if we all did it.  As for me, I can be moody too and I'd like to be in better control of my temper (I am patient for way longer than I should be, then I completely lose it and feel so ashamed, would like there to be a middle ground), plus it would be nice to lose the last 10 lbs of baby weight and I'm still hoping to convince DH for a 4th baby, in which case I'd like to go into pregnancy as healthy as possible.  We've been eating a mostly traditional diet for a while and didn't eat a lot of processed foods or grains (and no hfcs, etc), but I do like to bake, so we would have things occasionally.  I also did a lot of my own canning and freezing and we eat locally and organically for about 90% of our diet.  And we have been easing into GAPS for the past month and change, as I cleaned out the pantry, froze extra bone broth, etc.  

So I knew this would be hard, but I didn't think it would be THIS hard.  Oh My Goodness.  DS1 and DD are doing okay, and I honestly think I would be fine, especially if DH were here (and hey, a grandmother wouldn't hurt either, but that doesn't seem to be an option for us ;)  But DS2 is basically refusing to eat.  Anything.  He goes on and on about how much he hates this diet and hates soup etc etc ad infinitum.  And even DS1 and DD are boycotting the bone broth.  I think they'll be willing to eat soup broth when I can add tomato to it, but until then, I don't know what to do.  They are doing pretty well with meats and fishes cooked in the broth, so at least that's a start.  DS1 is very lethargic (I know he's not eating enough either) and DD is a bit whiny and wants to nurse constantly.  But DS2, well, I just don't know what to do.  I keep telling myself that if he gets hungry enough, he will eat.  But I'm super worried about sending him back to preschool tomorrow where he will see everyone eating things he can't have.  I prepared his teachers in advance, but I am still very nervous about the whole situation.  And he seems totally intent on pushing my buttons, in a way that the other two aren't doing.  I don't know if I should give in and allow more foods (I added soft boiled eggs today, and that was the only thing he ate all day) or try to stick out phase 1-2 of the intro for longer.  

To make matters worse, DH is getting home from his weekend away any minute now and thinks he might have the flu.  I think his body is reacting to the junk food and too much wine he had at his friend's wedding this weekend.  But if it is the flu, and the children catch it when they haven't been eating enough anyway the past few days, things could get really bad.  I'm already worried about dehydration, without flu thrown into it (since they are refusing the broth, and not wanting to eat or drink much of anything).  And I am super run down after being up all night last night because each of us got bad stomach cramps and felt nauseous at some point during the night....

Any words of support or advice would be appreciated!  I'm hoping this is a low point, but it's only day two.  How are we going to get through the rest of the week?  And how long does it take before they are willing to eat, and to drink the broth?  Ack!  

#14 of 50 Old 02-03-2012, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Oh wow, momto2! hug.gif it will get better. They will start drinking the broth. I did honey/butter sppons the first week to ease the transition and cravings.

I have to say, being on ful GAPS is a whole different story compared to intro! I feel like we can eat so m uch more, comparitively. We are still introducing one new food at a time and are dairy and bean free still. taking it slow on eggs and nuts, too. I plan on periodically going back to intro, but after two weeks, my family was seriously rebelling!

I'm really *seeing* how poorly my food is being absorbed, and it's very discouraging greensad.gif I have only been using a regular probiotic, and I think we need the gutpro or biokult,but holy wow, that's expensive! I am bummed out because I have always worked so hard to provide the best food, and it seems like only a tiny fraction of that is actually getting absorbed. Enough to put a girl on liquid smoothie diet in the hopes of direct absorption!

I'm going to persevere, though, despite my massive cravings for cinnamon rolls wink1.gif

Anybody know if there is a packaged coconut milk or almond milk that would be gaps legal? That would simplify and "normalize" things a lot here.

#15 of 50 Old 02-04-2012, 01:39 PM

I read online that this coconut milk is okay for gaps.  http://importfood.com/naturalcoconutmilk.html  some people use native forest too, since the cans are BPA free, but technically it contains guar gum, which is not allowed.  I don't think there are any gaps safe prepackaged almond milks.  

Thanks for the support, craft media hero.  :)  DH pressured me into allowing more foods for them.  We're not exactly full gaps yet, just adding bits and pieces in here and there.  Everyone is much happier now  that they are eating again, although I am still very worried about getting enough broth into them.  And I never thought I would say this, but I am so sick of soup!!  No one else wants to eat it so I end up eating so much of the same kinds, over and over again.  I love soup, but there are so many kinds that we can't make, and it is the one area where I miss being able to change things up a bit with some veggie alphabet noodles, potatoes, or corn.  Everyone is hungry all the time, they eat ALL. DAY. LONG. and I am just exhausted from being on my feet in the kitchen 12+ hours a day trying to keep up with all the homemade yogurts, milks, snacks, etc.  I think it will be better once we add more fruit back.  But still, OMG I'm tired.  And so tired of the constant "what can I eat" whine.  Which I really think would improve if they would eat more of the soups and meats.  I'm not convinced that giving in on that front was the best choice, but if did keep us sane I guess.  And luckily, he did not have the flu (hooray!) but he did have a very bad cold, which all of the children have now, and I seem to be fighting off.  I've got wicked swollen glands tonight, hoping a detox bath will help with that.  Ouch!  I do feel like I am digesting everything, and other than the odd craving here or there, the only thing I greatly miss is brownies (although cinnamon rolls sound good too!  yum!  ;)

We are using the biokult, although I question why it contains soy!  It is so pricy, DH just about had apoplexy when he saw the price.  I'm up to 8 capsules a day, and really didn't see much die off except for two relatively minor incidents.  I guess I had been eating pretty healthfully for a while now and had been weaning into GAPS for a few weeks, but I'm still a bit surprised.  Have seen a bit in the kids, but not as much as I expected either.  I don't know if it would have been different if we had stayed on phase 1 of intro longer? I really wish the book were a bit more specific about what you should be looking for before moving on to the next phase.  I've been frustrated about the list of allowed and non-allowed foods as well, it leaves SO many things off.  We don't have a juicer and will probably have to wait awhile to get one since the biokult is so pricy and I had no idea how quickly we would go through it.  I hope it's not a big deal if we wait a few months on the juicing.  I feel iffy about it anyway, after reading about all the arsenic found even in organic US-grown apple juice, kwim?  Who knows what toxins could come out in that juice...

I'm not sure how we are doing on the probiotic foods either.  I made my own sauerkraut and it is nasty.  I think I did it right, but I've never had sauerkraut before so I have nothing to compare it to.  The kids will eat as much yogurt as I can make for them, so that's something.  I've also been adding the juice from a jar of preserved lemons (that I had made last year) to our mashed avocado for a guacamole that the kids love.  I read that that is probiotic as well, same principle as the sauerkraut.  I hope it is enough.  

I think I am seeing some benefits, but I still feel unsure about so much of what I am doing.  I wish there was a GAPS hotline you could call with questions!!  Or better yet, a GAPS resort with lots of fun activities for the families and all of the food for different phases prepared for you to order in the dining hall at each meal so parents could just focus on making the experience positive for their kiddos (and cajoling them to eat another bite of soup!!), rather than being so exhausted from constant food prep (not to mention their own die off and hunger/cravings) that they feel as snappish as the kids do...

Good luck and keep me posted on how it is going for you all.  thank you for letting me vent as well!!  

#16 of 50 Old 02-06-2012, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

nod.gif

hug2.gif

Yes to all that!

I had to add more foods back faster than was probably optimal just for the sake of continuing and not burning the fam out right at the beginning. What I've been doing is keeping the soups/stews/bone broth as the main foods that are always there and then making a roast beef or chicken every once in a while to eat at one meal and then send into crockpot land for the soup stuff. Now my fam has just accepted that we eat soup a lot, though they did kinda complain at first. Luckily, they are soup and meat lovers!

We have all been sick, though, forever it seems like eyesroll.gif I am getting a little frustrated with that. It's great that we have already been in the swing of soups and broth, so it's easy to fall back on when everyone is ill. I pretty much have just been eating mugs of stew the last few days since we all sicky and wore out here.

#17 of 50 Old 02-12-2012, 03:11 PM

I just started GAPS (I'm on day 3 of the intro diet), and this is just the thread I was hoping to find!  joy.gif 

I went on it because after I stopped being a vegetarian about 4 months ago all sorts of food sensitivities started cropping up, with more appearing every few days.  I had been wanting to start for a while, but knew DH would be ... unenthusiastic, to say the least.  Well, now he's out of town for 10 days, so I took the plunge!  I figure I should be on Stage 2 or maybe even starting Stage 3 by the time he gets back, so it'll be much easier to make things we'll both eat.  I was hoping to put my daughter on it as well, but she refuses to even try most of what I make.  What she has tried she hasn't liked.  greensad.gif 

The fatigue really hit hard today.  The fact that my period just started and I'm having horrible cramps doesn't help, but even without that it would be tough today.  The thing I really miss today is peanut butter.  My daughter wanted some, and the smell of it almost made me want to cry.  Oh well, it shouldn't be too long before I can eat it again. 

Let's keep this thread active - I know I could use it!

reading.gif Wife to DH geek.gif  since 08/06. Mother to Eleanor Rose energy.gif, born 10/12/08.  h20homebirth.gif
#18 of 50 Old 02-13-2012, 10:53 AM

I got my book! It's really informative, though a lot of it I've read elsewhere. But it really does help to understand GAPS conditions even further, and how they originate. I'm so excited to start again. I wish I could do more, but I know that dairy really gives me trouble. I can't eat more than a couple eggs every couple days or so. Plus I really don't like nuts very much. greensad.gif I've added back butter, since Dr Campbell-McBride recommends lots of butter for pregnant women, which I love, except I've noticed I've been more "mucousy" since I added it back. No headaches or infections or anything, just having that feeling, especially while pregnant is really unpleasant. I'm really hoping to start making more bone broths now, I had stopped for a while since it was time consuming (or at least that's what I keep telling myself- I know it doesn't really take much to make it, especially in the crock pot). Oh, and I did make some sauerkraut again (it has been a while) and I'm still not such a fan. Going to try making pickles, since both DD and I really like them. I haven't been able to find pickling cucumbers til the other day. Anyway, guess I just need to take "baby steps" for now.

#19 of 50 Old 03-15-2012, 11:46 AM

We are starting GAPS in the next couple weeks, as recommended by my son's doctor. I'm getting stuff together now (making the broths, etc.). My son is the poster child for the GAPS diet with his symptoms, and I think it will benefit all of us.

I haven't read all of the posts yet, but is anyone else doing the diet while breastfeeding? My daughter is 6 months old, and is 99% breastfed. I just started giving her some bites of my food here and there.

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#20 of 50 Old 03-15-2012, 06:32 PM

I'm nursing my two and four year olds, but (obviously) not exclusively, they get the bulk of their nutrition from solids now.  I've read that you shouldn't do the intro while nursing, but that full GAPS is fine.  Good luck with the diet, I hope it helps your little guy!  

#21 of 50 Old 03-24-2012, 08:50 PM

Hi!  I am starting the GAPS diet because I believe I have some yeast issues.  I am trying to determine if I should do the intro or not.  I don't have a lot of digestive issues such as discomfort, constipation, or loose stools so I am not sure if it's needed.  I suppose it wouldn't hurt and I could go through it pretty quickly.  Any thoughts?

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#22 of 50 Old 08-09-2012, 11:41 AM

I'm joining you guys and bumping this thread. Couldn't locate a newer thread. 

I've had eczema and hives for the past couple months and began seeing an acupuncturist a few weeks ago. I also had hives this time last year. I suspected it could be a manifestation of some type of allergy be it food/seasonal/whatever but I have never had a reaction to anything that would pinpoint the allergen. I also suspect it could be stress which I've been under a lot of lately.

The acupuncturist gave me some dietary restrictions last year that included no meat (other than fish but no oily fish like salmon or tuna), no wheat, oats, or brown rice. The only grain she said I could have was buckwheat. No spices only salt. No shellfish. No cod liver oil or brewer's yeast (which I thought was weird and heartbreaking). This week she took it much further and said no egg yolks, no dairy, no nuts or seeds, No oils whatsoever. No sugar. And a lot of other 'nos' that I think are crazy. Plus some of what she said this week contradicted last week so I've decided to tackle this diet thing on my own. I had already been thinking I should try GAPS to help with my issues so after my acupuncture appt today I ordered my book.

I've already been eating TF for about 3 years now so it won't be too tough I don't believe. Maybe we can get some life back into this thread? 

How has everyone been doing so far?

~Amanda~ crunchy, foodie SAHM to DD 8/14/08
#23 of 50 Old 08-10-2012, 09:32 AM

I would like to start the GAPS diet as well.  I am a bit nervous as I am 21 wks pregnant, but I really feel it's something I should do ASAP before I pass my bad flora onto baby #2.  I am hoping my DH will join me (even in the full, and we can go back and do the intro if necessary).

I want my DD to join us as well- she has reflux and yeast issues as well as occasional rashes and dirrhea; she has not had grains yet but has had potatoes (and loved them!).  I don't know quite how to go about it with a baby so young, she is almost 11 months.  Also what I am confused about is if we can have raw milk- we drink about 2 glasses a day and yogurt 1x a day atm.  DD has 25-30 oz and I cannot take her off that b/c she will definitely lose weight. 

I'm pretty excited to start though- getting recipes and menu plans organized and ordered 10 lb of beef bones.  also can we have bacon?  (pastured, sugar free)

Married to the love of my life and SAH Mama to my little sweet pea (Sept 2011) and darling baby boy (Dec 2012) novaxnocirc.gifh20homebirth.gifhomeschool.gif bfinfant.gifslinggirl.gifcd.gif

#24 of 50 Old 08-10-2012, 09:40 AM

I have a 3 year old daughter I'm not going to make her or my boyfriend do GAPS so I'll be doing double meals often. Like if I'm cooking something with grains for them.

As far as I know you can't drink milk but you can use your raw milk to make yogurt or kefir. Not supposed to have anything with lactose.

The bacon I'm not sure about yet. I've read online no processed meats? Even the nitrate free bacon usually has sugar in it so it may be a no no.

ETA just saw you said sugar free so not sure.

#25 of 50 Old 08-12-2012, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

We're planning to start the Gaps diet soon.  Have been meaning to for AGES and am just now going to buy the book, and a couple of supporting ebooks.  Did you all order the book from the main site? Anyone in Canada know of a Canadian source?

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#26 of 50 Old 08-12-2012, 08:27 AM

I ordered my gaps book from amazon.

#27 of 50 Old 08-13-2012, 01:47 PM

I am in Canada and was planning to order off Amazon.ca but they don't carry the book new anymore.  So I'll just get it from the library for now, as well as a DVD and cookbook. 

I'm not sure what the deal is on bacon, the website says avoid processed foods, but this bacon is naturally made by the farmer/leader of our local WAPF chapter so I know there is nothing bad added.  I really love bacon :D  Anyway I've decided to start next Monday so am collecting recipes and will be going shopping.  Still don't know if DH will join me...

Married to the love of my life and SAH Mama to my little sweet pea (Sept 2011) and darling baby boy (Dec 2012) novaxnocirc.gifh20homebirth.gifhomeschool.gif bfinfant.gifslinggirl.gifcd.gif

#28 of 50 Old 09-04-2012, 11:13 AM

Your bacon sounds like it would be fine (as long as it is nitrate free and sugar free).  Hope GAPS is going well for you.  We've been doing it for about 8 months and have seen a lot of benefits for our family.  It's such a way of life for us now, it's hard to even imagine going back to the NT diet we were on before (although DH and I do have small cheats every now and then for a treat), much less the SAD.  

As for raw milk, I think the recommendation is that you not have it for a while, then try adding it back in per  the instructions in the book.  I knew DH and DS1 had issues with the milk, but I thought DS2 and DD would be fine with it.  But when I added it back in (about 6 months after we started GAPS), I realized that DS2's behavior got really wild and out of control, and DD got very fussy.  So we have cut it back out again.  All of us seem fine with yogurt, kefir, and GAPS approved cheeses (I try to only buy raw milk local cheeses when possible.  I sure do miss the fresh homemade mozzerella though!).  

Since you're expecting, you won't be doing the intro anytime soon because it's not the right time to do a heavy detox.  So if the raw milk is really important to you, you could always keep drinking it for now, and try removing it when you do the intro after baby is older.  

It's been interesting to me how much easier it is to tell if something affects me now that I've been on GAPS for a while.  I used to always wonder could it be this or this or this, but now it seems pretty clear.  I had some potatoes the other day, and I felt so awful afterwards, I thought it could be because I had been very stressed and hadn't gotten much sleep, but the same thing happened a few days later.  No more potatoes for me!!   And yet, I ate them for years without ever knowing that they could have that effect on me.  

Hope the diet goes well for you both.   

#29 of 50 Old 09-04-2012, 01:39 PM

*YAY* a GAPS thread!  

i've been 90% GAPS for years now.  with only occasional cheats (and most of those sprouted or soured grains, or a baked gluten-free quinoa cake for someone's birthday).  i loved finding the GAPS book b/c it answered so many questions about my reactions to many foods.  and my love of bone stocks.  

that said, at 16+ weeks pregnant, i can only go for about 1 week without 'cheating' by eating a sourdough brown rice pancake.  or two.  usually topped with raw cheese, pastured butter, some sort of pate, and a big ripe tomato.  but i can't do grains well, period.  i'm noticing that it's when my nursing daughter ups her interest in nursing to 2-3x a day instead of just one.  then my carb cravings skyrocket.  or if i've failed to plan ahead and keep plenty of good meats on hand.  

i have 1 child who is most like me and who the Dr. suspected of being gluten-intolerant (i have a family history of celiac, though i'm undiagnosed since i went gluten-free in 2001, and won't go back), and she is my ONLY picky eater.  the other 3 kids will drink bone stock, eat soups, eat meat, and veggies, and generally be satisfied and healthy with whatever i provide.  my one picky eater is the one with the most issues.  I do think it's hard to do when pregnant/nursing, but totally think that it can help prevent a lot of trouble later on.  my one girl w/ the gut issues is the only one who i had antibiotics during labor with.  i was behaving then.  now i drink kombucha, eat sauerkraut and kimchi, and always have fermented foods on hand for all of us (and we like them all) and have had such great experiences with having healthy eating kids with no health issues at all.

so, would love to keep this up, as i've been struggling to eat GAPS while pregnant with less cheating.  when i do it, it is sooooo good, but when i cheat, i regret it for 2 days.  which is a huge healing curve since it used to be a week.

joy.gifSAHM and Holistic Health Counselor with  angel.gif 1/05, DS1 blahblah.gif 3/06, angel1.gif 5/07, DD1 dust.gif 3/08, DD2 thumbsuck.gif 11/09, DD3 energy.gif 4/11, and DS2 babyf.gif 2/13.  expecting a surprise stork-suprise.gif 8/14!
#30 of 50 Old 09-06-2012, 09:21 AM

Well I still haven't started GAPS.  My DH is worried that I won't get enough calories, nutrition etc. and also about my detoxing while pg.  He does have a point, I am ALWAYS hungry lol!  For breakfast I have 2 slices sourdough bread slathered in pastured butter and, recently, peanut butter, and 2 eggs with raw cheese and coconut oil, sometimes a slice of bacon, and I'm hungry a couple of hours later!  It's crazy (and I've only gained 10 lb at 25 weeks along).  I don't know how I'd keep up if I can't have any grains, starches etc. as I lose weight quickly.

I've been re reading the guidelines for GAPS during pregnancy and she says

If your digestion is normal you can have potatoes, sourdough bread and whole grains cooked at home in moderate amounts. Remember that all these carbohydrates must be consumed with good amounts of natural fats to slow down their digestion and improve their nutritional value: let people say about you - “She likes a bit of bread with her butter!”

http://gaps.me/preview/?page_id=33

My digestion is normal, excpet when I eat out, that makes me sick for 2 days... so basically I'm following the GAPS guidelines but adding in a side of potato, rice etc at a couple of meals a day.

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page