low-carb causing anxiety and depression - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 05-18-2014, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katc8910 View Post

I think cortisol definitely contributed to my problems. I didn't know it at the time, but the fact that fasting increases cortisol and other stress hormone levels, explains why I felt horrible when IFing. Even now, when I go too long without eating, or if I don't eat enough for a meal, the anxiety starts to creep in. As soon as I eat, it goes away. And as Chris Kresser said in the article about IFing, like his patients, I don't eat a SAD diet. I don't eat sugar, I avoid gluten, I eat a wide variety of proteins, veggies, some fruit, raw dairy, nuts/seeds and healthy fats.

Also keep in mind that being on a diet even a "good" one can also mess with the thyroid. In the case of a LCHF diet it may be difficult to eat enough calories because the protein and fat fill you up pretty quickly:

Acute or chronic dieting can result in a significant decrease in intracellular and circulating T3 levels by up to 50% (46,47,51,90), which significantly reduces basal metabolic rate (number of calories burned per day) by 15-40% (48,230,232). With chronic dieting, the thyroid levels and metabolism often do not return to normal levels; the body stays in starvation mode for years with significantly reduced metabolism despite the resumption of normal food intake, making it very difficult to lose or maintain lost weight (48)."

From "Understanding Local Control of Thyroid Hormones: (Deiodinases Function and Activity)"

I stopped LC dieting last year and my free T3 and T4 levels continue to be as low as they were while I was on the diet. If that's not bad enough, my cortisol levels also continue to be at the bottom of the range throughout the day. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 34 Old 05-18-2014, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Interesting... I've been hypothyroid for several years. Even though I'm on Armour Thyroid, while my TSH is low (below 1), my T3 remains at the very bottom of the normal range and sometimes below. When I tried increasing the Armour to increase my T3, I'd get heart palpitations, my hands would shake, etc.

So how do I get back to a healthy weight without affecting my mental health negatively?

treehugger.gifgoorganic.jpggd.giftriadadopt.jpgfamilybed1.gif

#33 of 34 Old 05-19-2014, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katc8910 View Post

Interesting... I've been hypothyroid for several years. Even though I'm on Armour Thyroid, while my TSH is low (below 1), my T3 remains at the very bottom of the normal range and sometimes below. When I tried increasing the Armour to increase my T3, I'd get heart palpitations, my hands would shake, etc.

So how do I get back to a healthy weight without affecting my mental health negatively?

You may want to have your cortisol levels checked via the four-times-a-day saliva test. Most people with too high or too low cortisol levels have a hard time taking optimal amounts of NDT. It could also be due to low iron, B12 or vitamin D.

There's a lot of information about this at the Stop The Thyroid Madness site. These are good pages to start reading:

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/ducks-in-a-row/

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/things-we-have-learned/

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/recommended-labwork/

#34 of 34 Old 05-20-2014, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This thread has taken an interesting turn.  I've been off my low-carb paleo-ish diet for some time.  A combination of moving, pregnancy, crazy busy school year has thrown me for a complete loop.  However, after a lot of reading and thought, I've moved into a new way of eating that is based on Trim Healthy Mama.  I have days where I am low-carb/high fat, and other days where I eat more carbs, but still not super high carb.  I've lost a bunch of weight, my energy has improved, and I am not craving sugar.  My moods have stabilized, too, which is nice.  I found that I needed more carbs to feel right, and a very low-carb diet just wasn't sufficient for me.  

Chicharronita likes this.

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page