low carb/primal for pregnancy (and HG)--need new food ideas! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-19-2012, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all. I've been doing modified versions of WAP/TF and GAPS diet for several years now. Limiting my carbs so much actually started to take a toll on me so I added some back in just recently... and then I found out I was pregnant. I have HG (hyperemesis gravidarum) when I'm pregnant (four times this far) and so I have tried nearly everything. Meds, liver cleanses, vitamins, herbs, etc. I found a little relief from the liver cleansing/support. But not nearly enough. This time around I'm focusing on eating HIGH protein and very low carbs. I still have to take meds, but usually despite the meds I'm puking--just less. However since going low carb I haven't puked once! I feel like it sometimes, and I'm still nauseous and wiped out from the meds and so forth, but not quite as sick as I was before. (believe me, any relief is welcome!) I also haven't lost a single pound which is AMAZING!

My issue is this: my husband is out of work and at present we have EXTREMELY little income. My kids and I are celiac and I have an allergy to fructose so I can't eat raw veggies or most fruits. So my diet ends up being primarily meats and some dairy. It's costing a fortune and when I say we don't have the money--I really mean it. It's not there. I'm struggling to make rent at all right now. Organic meats and raw dairies are only for my dreams at this point, so I'm making due with the most natural versions I can. Oh, also I'm kosher so no mixing dairy and meat, and no pork or seafoods etc.

So I need some ideas--what are some gf, kosher-friendly, recipes good for on an extremely tight budget?

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2012, 10:21 AM
JMJ

Nuts - Keep a nut mix on your table, and snack on it all day.  This is the only way I got through my first trimester.

You said you can't eat most raw fruits and veggies, but can you eat them cooked?  I do a lot of soups and find that I do better with soft-cooked veggies, a la GAPS (though I do use some potatoes or rice for the extra calories).

Healthy fats - extra calories easily added to anything, and it lowers the glycemic index

Old 01-21-2012, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

I had HG both times and the second time I used accupunture (soooooo sever! right up until the birth- puke 24/7 almost every two hours), they can work directly on your liver- without med or a cleanse - most insurance (even low income if your dr approves it) vs using meds (far cheaper in the long run and most likely would also keep you our of the hosp (fear of most insurance companies) - so maybe you could get it paid for???

I also found that low carbs made be worse! I also could not touch nuts-none!

My OB was also an ayurvedic - so I did some ayurvedic herb in addition to milk (warmed) and raw local honey added later (not cooking the honey!) really helped to keep other things down.

I hate lots of meat- lightly cooked and nothing on it.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 01-22-2012, 10:02 AM

Can you handle legumes?  Cost wise, that's probably what I would try, not sure how your body does with them though. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 01-25-2012, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)

What about eggs?  Not the cheapest thing in the world, but cheaper than meat.  

Bone broth?  You can make a bag of bones go a long way by doing a perpetual stock in the slow cooker (after it goes for 24 hours, just keep replenishing the water.  You can go for a week on one set of bones.)  An easy lunch for us is hot broth in the blender with leftover cooked veggies and maybe a raw egg yolk. We throw in lots of veggies so it's kind of an applesauce-y texture.  You could add in some tallow or coconut oil for a fat/calorie boost.  

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
Old 02-11-2012, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry I was gone for a while because the computer made me even more nauseous.

I can handle some legumes... in moderation. I can handle some eggs in moderation too. I was eating nothing but meat for weeks and now I can't stand meat at all. Ive been a primary meat eat for most of my life and all the sudden I think it's disgusting. So I'm eating a lot of dairy now b/c it stays down.

However, the high protein diet really is helping me a lot in general.

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

Tags
Traditional Foods
User Tag List