Which butter? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Which butter would you buy?
TJ's organic butter (grassfed) 0 0%
Kerrygold (grassfed) 3 42.86%
OV's organic PASTURE butter 4 57.14%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-30-2012, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is color the best indicator of the vitamin level in butter? I've been buying TJ's organic butter because it's my cheapest grassfed option at $4.79/lb. But I wonder if Kerrygold (at $5.58/lb.) or OV's Pasture butter (at $7.15/lb.) contains more vitamin A, D and K and so would be worth the extra cost. What do you think? I have recently bought all 3 of these and compared their color, they are all about the same yellow both as butter and after I made some into ghee.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 03:37 PM

TJ organic is grassfed? I never even read the boxes on the others! I've always heard "go to TJ and get Kerrygold". I wonder why...

Sandra

Old 02-05-2012, 03:51 PM

Kerry gold is grassfed and pesticide free I contacted the company. It's also made in small batches.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Old 02-05-2012, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

when I wrote to Kerrygold they told me the butter is only made in the summer when they are grass-fed- the cows are fed grains and/or soy in the winter- there is no standard that prevents them from doing so- many are pushing the Irish govt to stop this because of the use of GMO in the feed

Quote:
Kerry gold is grassfed and pesticide free I contacted the company. 

also this is milk gathered from several farms (not owned by them) and Kerrgold does not control (they suggest) what the cows are fed, meaning they do not control if the grass is organic or not

theirs is not organic because of this and can not be labeled as such

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 02-05-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

when I wrote to Kerrygold they told me the butter is only made in the summer when they are grass-fed- the cows are fed grains and/or soy in the winter- there is no standard that prevents them from doing so- many are pushing the Irish govt to stop this because of the use of GMO in the feed

also this is milk gathered from several farms (not owned by them) and Kerrgold does not control (they suggest) what the cows are fed, meaning they do not control if the grass is organic or not

theirs is not organic because of this and can not be labeled as such

Oh gee I got a whole different story!

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Old 02-05-2012, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

Quote:
Oh gee I got a whole different story!

I did it about a year ago- and I waited a few weeks and asked again and that time I asked what makes it NOT organic and I got a different story!

do some googling I saw the same thing that I got others did too!

my first email back from them was all nicey-nice and with coupons- the second confirmed what I also heard others saying

there is stuff out there- you just need to dig

http://www.sovereignindependent.com/?p=15501

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 02-06-2012, 10:55 AM

Color is not a good indicator on it's own.  Many manufacturers add coloring to their butters. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 02-06-2012, 11:42 AM

I get the Organic Valley pasture butter. I have never felt great about getting Kerrygold butter, if only because it is shipped all the way across the ocean from another continent. If I can get a decent local option I think that is much better for the environment and our economy. The Organic Vally pasture butter is delicious. I usually find coupons and then stock up and keep it in my upright freezer for the rest of the year. I also make a years batch of ghee.

Tags
Traditional Foods
User Tag List