Primal not all its cracked up to be? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-14-2012, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We used to be primal.  First, 8 years ago, we were "balanced" - sort of.  We did the zone diet if anyone is familiar with that.  Then, we moved onto traditional foods when I got pregnant.  Then on to primal.  I totally see the value of promal for some folks, but I am realizing that my body really does better on a traditional foods diet.  I think the kids do better, too.  So, as I attempt to incorporate more grains and legumes back into our diet I am sort of at a loss.  It is amazing what I cannot remember.  For me, if I dont use it I lose it and that means I cant really remember all the soaking stuff.  So, I have a quick bread recipe that uses flour, yogurt, a small amt of maple syrup, salt and baking soda.  If I mix this and put it in the fridge over night and cook it in the morning, will that be enough to neutralize the phytic acid?

#2 of 14 Old 02-14-2012, 12:32 PM

Sorry, I'm not a baker so I can't help with the bread issue. 

But I'm wondering what has led you to believe that a Traditional Foods diet is better for you?  I'm in the process of switching to TF as well and am just starting to reintroduce rice and some soaked/sprouted grains such as buckwheat and quinoa.  For me the problem with paleo was very bad anxiety leading to depression. It's too early to tell whether going back to TF is helping. 

treehugger.gifgoorganic.jpggd.giftriadadopt.jpgfamilybed1.gif

#3 of 14 Old 02-14-2012, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think that to do paleo/primal right, we really need to eat a lot of animal fat, organs, and take supplements, and eat ferments.  The supplements for anxiety and depression would be Magnesium, B  complex, extra inositol and choline, 5htp, D3, and tons of cod liver oil for efa's, and nutritional yeast, iodine, and selenium.  There are lots of b vitamins and magnesium in some grains, and so when people go paleo and don't eat sources of these stuff starts to suffer.  And I really think that while it would be romantic to get all our nutrients from food, that it is just not possible in the postmodern food supply.  I do modified paleo because I am a single mom and sometimes there is just not enough money to do it right, but I do know that when I eat eggs and liver cooked in fat for breakfast, that I am not tired...but when I eat carbs for breakfast I am. 

#4 of 14 Old 02-14-2012, 07:01 PM

"I think that to do paleo/primal right, we really need to eat a lot of animal fat, organs, and take supplements, and eat ferments."

This is so true. A 'cavewoman' diet really helped me recover from Celiac diease and Fibromyalgia and I'm never going back to eating even gluten free grains.

However, I have branched out more lately into incorporating more seeds in my diet, and this has been nice. I make my own flax seed crackers, and I bake using quinoa(a psuedo-creal, NOT a grain), coconut flour, almond meal, and tapioca starch when I really want a baked treat.

If you feel like you need grain-like foods again, try quinoa, it's wonderful. There are many alternatives to eating corn and wheat, and they'll be healthier for you.

I also eat liver one a week, and make bone broth to get my magnesium and calcium intake up. And I don't shy from the fatty meat! (hilarious since I used to be vegan...)

All the best to you!

Drea

#5 of 14 Old 02-14-2012, 07:20 PM

I get all my nutrient from my diet. I analyzed it with software. And the best thing is....I simply eat normal food from scratch and I dnot need to boil broths for hours or consume tons of kale or spout anything. Diversity is the key....and butter...and enjoying food in general. And not obsessing with ridiculous modern fads.

#6 of 14 Old 02-16-2012, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

When primal, we did eat nuts and seeds - properly soaked.  We also ate quinoa and buckwheat, but that was it and not very often.  Maybe once or twice a week.  We had lots of organic, grass-fed animal fats and protein I'll tell ya that while I didntget the cravings for sugar (which is nice), I didnt feel all "there."  I sort of felt run down.  I'd try to tweak it and eat more fats to see if it helped, then more protein, but the truth is that it was the carbs that balanced me out.  I felt normal.  I didnt feel overly stuffed after meals due to carbs (as lots of people do when they overdo carbs), and I didnt feel a lack of energy or like I was in a fog.  And, my digestive systems seems to work better with more carbs.  The kids seem to have more energy, too.  Although, being kids, they are high energy anyway.  But, they seem to be slightly less moody when they are hungry.  I find that odd since it seems to work the opposite way for lots of other people.  I can totally see it for people who medically need to be primal (diabetes, celiac) but if there is no underlying problem, perhaps  it really isnt the best way to go for everyone.  People have been thriving for thousands of years on properly prepared grains.  It is with the modern convenience food and food prep that people are starting to have problems - the last hundred years or so.  Ya think?

Alenushka, I also think diversity is the key.  I totally see the value of bone broth, etc, but I do think they more variety is the healthy way to go.  Though, supplements are necessary for some. 

#7 of 14 Old 02-16-2012, 09:20 AM

Sometime, despite healhty diet body does not process certain things. That is true. There tests for it. My DH has low vitamin B....not dietary cahnges worked. He neded shots.

#8 of 14 Old 02-19-2012, 04:24 AM

I think the best way to eat is the way that makes you feel good.  I eat a primarily paleo diet but I also have been on the specific carbohydrate diet too along with fermented foods and proper soaking a la WAP.  Paleo diet alone was not the key for me.  And it may not be the heaven-sent cure for everyone.  So add some grain back (properly soaked and prepared, I think is best) and see how you do.  Try it for 30 days and if it's working for you, why not?  

Is the quick bread recipe made from wheat flour?  I don't know for sure if that would be enough to neutralize the phytic acid but it should help.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#9 of 14 Old 02-21-2012, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

Yes the quick bread is made with wheat bread.

So, Here is my next question.  After doing more research to refresh my memory on sokaing methods, I came across info that stated that soaking grains in a medium that contains calcium prevents the breakdown of phytic acid.  ever heard of such a thing?  That would mean not to soak in yogurt, wich is rec for lots of things.  Thaoughts?

#10 of 14 Old 02-22-2012, 04:46 PM

I've never heard of such a thing until I went googling for it.  All I've ever heard is that the medium must be acidic and that's that.  Interesting stuff. . . 

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#11 of 14 Old 02-22-2012, 10:22 PM

i've also heard that phytic acid is a treatment for cancer. Some supplement called ip-6 or something. supposed to block the cancer cells from getting iron. but I guess it blocks your body too.

#12 of 14 Old 02-23-2012, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Yep.  blocks it in your body.  And other nutrients, too, which is why it is good to break it down.  But, Now, I cant figure out how to do that.  The research I find seems more scientific regarding the exclusion of calcium rich foods to soak rather than the inclusion.  and, this bothers me because I would much prefer to soak in yogurt than anything else.,.

#13 of 14 Old 02-28-2012, 08:41 PM

Have you tried just making an ordinary sourdough starter without the dairy?  That's quite acidic, and then you don't have to worry about the calcium issue.  You can make quick breads and pancakes with sourdough starter.  Just search for a recipe online that you like - "sourdough cornbread, or sourdough buckwheat pancakes" or whatever. 

Some phytic acid is good for you.  I believe that there is some research that shows that it not only helps people who already have cancer, but it can help prevent cancer as well.  It's probably okay if all of it is not neutralized in your bread.  It would only be a problem if you ate so much phytic acid that it blocked absorption of a significant amount of nutrients from your other food. 

#14 of 14 Old 03-04-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdawta View Post

I think the best way to eat is the way that makes you feel good.  I eat a primarily paleo diet but I also have been on the specific carbohydrate diet too along with fermented foods and proper soaking a la WAP.  Paleo diet alone was not the key for me.  And it may not be the heaven-sent cure for everyone.  So add some grain back (properly soaked and prepared, I think is best) and see how you do.  Try it for 30 days and if it's working for you, why not?  

Is the quick bread recipe made from wheat flour?  I don't know for sure if that would be enough to neutralize the phytic acid but it should help.

I agree.  Try adding grain back to your diet for a short trial; if it works, keep it, if it doesn't, go back to strictly primal.  There is no harm in experimenting, no one diet works perfectly for every single body.  Do what works for you!

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page