Kefir and congestion - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-15-2012, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been giving my 17 mo a shot glass full of raw kefir for the past 10 day or so. He's sounding really congested when sleeping for the last 2-3 days, but doesn't have a runny nose. He's been breast-fed from birth and the only dairy he's consumed in the past is some yoghurt (just a few times) and  cream, the cheese he eats is made from sheep's milk. I cook his food in ghee. I'm wondering if the kefir could be causing the mucous. I keep reading about dairy causing mucous. Would someone enlighten me on this topic? Should I stop the kefir to see if the congestion goes away? I'm kind of scared to stop temporarily because then it would be hard to get him used to the taste again, considering how beneficial to health kefir is said to be. TIA for your responses.

#2 of 5 Old 02-16-2012, 05:35 AM

I definitely think the dairy could be causing the mucous. Maybe you could try a powered probiotic until he is feeling better? 

#3 of 5 Old 02-16-2012, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks MoonWillow! Does it mean he could be intolerant to dairy or that maybe it was too much kefire for his body to handle? I gave him less than 1/4 tsp of therbiotic infant formula probiotic today and he had diarrhea. The recommended dose is 1/4 tsp. Should I reduce the dose even further? And if I start giving him kefire after the congestion goes away, should I stop giving the probiotic?
#4 of 5 Old 02-16-2012, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

*kefir*
#5 of 5 Old 02-17-2012, 04:15 AM

Probiotics can cause either diarrhea or constipation as they re work the balance of bacteria in the gut but you may want to try one that has no dairy and see how he does. It's all trial and error I'm afraid! 

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page