Butter Oil - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 02-22-2012, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My family has purchased Green Pastures' Fermented Cod Liver Oil for a while now, and are interested in adding Butter Oil to our repertoire. Buying the FCLO/BO Blend from Green Pastures is hardly economical for us (we would have to buy about 3 jars of that a month,) so I am planning to buy the FCLO and BO separately. I was planning on sticking to Green Pastures, but also found NutraProInternational's BO (which is a lot less expensive). Would you say that NutraPro's product is equivalent nutritionally to Green Pastures'? I'm not sure, because NutraPro mentions using the BO for cooking, and I haven't heard of the brand before.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 31 Old 02-22-2012, 04:58 PM

I realize that the account I used to post this thread was the wrong account (I have two by accident, didn't realize I'd registered)! Just commenting so I can follow on the right one.

#3 of 31 Old 04-30-2012, 04:05 PM

I came here to ask this very question!

Anyone?

treehugger.gif SAHM with a precious toddler and the love of my life, expecting a new little one July 2014!
#4 of 31 Old 05-02-2012, 08:50 AM
JMJ

Butter oil and ghee are the same thing... If it's grass-fed and harvested in the fall and spring from fresh green grass, it's high vitamin butter oil.

#5 of 31 Old 05-02-2012, 01:12 PM

I started with Green Pasture's Butter Oil and FCLO but we've since stopped buying the Green Pastures and now just make our own.  My kids hated the taste of the raw from GP so I couldn't get them to take them.  The liquid is much more potent than the capsules (of both FCLO and BO), and if you compare the labels, it takes many, many more capsules than the "dosage" to equal a serving of the liquid.  So I have local, raw, grassfed butter from a local farmer and I make my own butter oil.  The Healthy Home Economist has a really good video tutorial I used to make mine.  Best part?  My kids will take it now with a little raw, local honey.  We used the FCLO/BO combo plus xylitol to heal major caries in my 2 year old's mouth, preventing massive surgery he *was* scheduled for, so I highly recommend it!!

I'd say make some!  I think the GP may be slightly better and more potent, but if it comes down to it, better to have second best than none at all!  winky.gif

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#6 of 31 Old 05-02-2012, 11:07 PM

Thandiwe- can you describe more what your doing with your 2 yr old to stop the caries? i've been dealing with cavities in my 4 yr old since she was 12mo and haven't had any luck and am now just newly discovering the use of FCLO/BO to help with healing caries. are you using the Green Pastures FCLO in conjunction with your homemade BO? what about diet? 

married to my sweetheart 12yrs, semi-crunchy mommy to three very attached girls (dd1-3/30/05, dd2 born at 28wks-9/20/07), and dd3 born at home-8/3/10)
#7 of 31 Old 05-02-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth144 View Post

Thandiwe- can you describe more what your doing with your 2 yr old to stop the caries? i've been dealing with cavities in my 4 yr old since she was 12mo and haven't had any luck and am now just newly discovering the use of FCLO/BO to help with healing caries. are you using the Green Pastures FCLO in conjunction with your homemade BO? what about diet? 

Absolutely!  I'll pm you so as not to hijack the thread!  winky.gif

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#8 of 31 Old 05-04-2012, 11:05 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have tried Nutrapro's BO, it tasted very good, but I am just not sure about the company like you said, they are new, and how do I know what I am really getting?  There is no in depth nutrient analysis, and I cant afford to buy something so expensive if its not the real deal.  I didnt notice any changes in our health while taking it, so we just used up our jar and thats all.  I havent bought more.  If I saw that this is the real deal then I'd probably try it again, I am just unsure about it.  But like I said, it tasted great, very buttery.  I just wish I knew more.

#9 of 31 Old 05-05-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love4ever View Post

I have tried Nutrapro's BO, it tasted very good, but I am just not sure about the company like you said, they are new, and how do I know what I am really getting?  There is no in depth nutrient analysis, and I cant afford to buy something so expensive if its not the real deal.  I didnt notice any changes in our health while taking it, so we just used up our jar and thats all.  I havent bought more.  If I saw that this is the real deal then I'd probably try it again, I am just unsure about it.  But like I said, it tasted great, very buttery.  I just wish I knew more.

I would be concerned if it tasted good.  Butter oil is actual quite gross; the dairy protein is reduced out of it, so it's just the oil.  We gag to take it, home made or Green Pastures.  GP is raw and organic plus grassfed (of course, their own claims), so it's actually a more potent taste.  We thought we could use it like butter on rice cakes, etc, to get it down but the kids just couldn't do it.  The only way to do it is put it on a spoon with some local raw honey and force it down.  Check out Weston Price's research on butter oil together with FCLO.  It was found to increase the absorption of the FCLO nutrients when taken at the same time.  As for actual studies, I haven't seen any but I haven't looked.  smile.gif

#10 of 31 Old 05-05-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thandiwe View Post

I would be concerned if it tasted good.  Butter oil is actual quite gross; the dairy protein is reduced out of it, so it's just the oil.  We gag to take it, home made or Green Pastures.  GP is raw and organic plus grassfed (of course, their own claims), so it's actually a more potent taste.  We thought we could use it like butter on rice cakes, etc, to get it down but the kids just couldn't do it.  The only way to do it is put it on a spoon with some local raw honey and force it down.  Check out Weston Price's research on butter oil together with FCLO.  It was found to increase the absorption of the FCLO nutrients when taken at the same time.  As for actual studies, I haven't seen any but I haven't looked.  smile.gif

When you make it yourself it tastes bad as well?  The Nutrapro stuff has a nice, strong buttery flavor, it tastes a lot like ghee, but is liquid at about 75 degrees.  It is a bright yellow color, also very similar in color to ghee.  I have heard that GP's BO is nasty, but some have said its probably because its rancid and not fresh, and that the Nutrapro must be fresh and all that because of its good taste.   Guess I'm glad I havent bought more than 1 jar!   I know what Price's research showed about BO working together with FCLO, and I do wish I could afford to take it, we just have a hard time doing that.

#11 of 31 Old 05-05-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:

When you make it yourself it tastes bad as well?  The Nutrapro stuff has a nice, strong buttery flavor, it tastes a lot like ghee, but is liquid at about 75 degrees.  It is a bright yellow color, also very similar in color to ghee.  I have heard that GP's BO is nasty, but some have said its probably because its rancid and not fresh, and that the Nutrapro must be fresh and all that because of its good taste.   Guess I'm glad I havent bought more than 1 jar!   I know what Price's research showed about BO working together with FCLO, and I do wish I could afford to take it, we just have a hard time doing that.

It does still taste gross home made.  Ours is reasonably liquid but thicker and our house right now is about 70-72 degrees.  We can't afford to buy the high vite butter oil, so I make our own.  It's really quite easy to do and so much cheaper!  The key is to start out with good quality butter.  For us, we were able to get access to local, grass-fed butter from a raw dairy farmer.  I took a pound and made the oil and we are using that after our one jar of GP BO is gone.  It's a nice yellow color, very similar to GP when I put them side by side.  For other sources of K2, hard aged cheeses are actually more potent that butter oil, according to several sources I read.  You're supposed to eat a couple Tbps of fresh grated aged cheeses like parm (buy a wedge and fresh grate over salad or veggies, etc).  I was relieved to read that, because we always keep a wedge of good aged parm in the fridge for salads.

#12 of 31 Old 05-05-2012, 11:15 PM

Awesome about the parm cheese!  I love to eat the crust of the wedges, and we use it grated all the time,  so thats not a prob here:)   Thats so good to know!

Now I am really curious about the Nutrapro BO though......   If its not really BO, then what is it??

#13 of 31 Old 05-07-2012, 03:43 PM

Just curious...

Why would it be necessary to take good grassfed, raw butter and heat it and clarify it to make it more "healthy"? 

I can understand if you are allergic to the milk proteins and need to filter that out, but if you can just eat the raw butter, why not?

By the way, Green Pastures butter oil is not raw.  At least not legally, and according to their website.

#14 of 31 Old 05-07-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bantams View Post

Just curious...

Why would it be necessary to take good grassfed, raw butter and heat it and clarify it to make it more "healthy"? 

I can understand if you are allergic to the milk proteins and need to filter that out, but if you can just eat the raw butter, why not?

By the way, Green Pastures butter oil is not raw.  At least not legally, and according to their website.

I've wondered the same thing myself.  I've read that it does not impact the nutritional value because the vitamins are not affected by heat?  Anyway, I am just not convinced on the whole thing, and I think that pastured butter is just fine.  We use pastured butter and ghee for cooking (made from pasturized cream of course! irked.gif) and I think thats what we are going to stick with for now.

By law, could GP's butter oil even be from raw milk?  I'm not sure why raw milk cheese is legal (I'm very glad that it is though!) and raw milk is not legal(in many states), and I dont know if cheese is the only product thats legal to be raw or if other products can be from raw milk too?  Anyone know how this works?  Just out of curiosity

#15 of 31 Old 05-07-2012, 07:31 PM

The most confusing part about raw dairy regulations is the difference between federal and state regulations.

Cheese falls under federal regs.

Fresh dairy - milk, cream, butter, etc - falls under both federal and state regs.

By law, all cheese must be made from pasteurized milk, UNLESS it has been aged 60 days or more.  It does not matter which state it is produced in.  Imported cheese must also follow these guidelines.

Only pasteurized milk can cross state lines, unless it is being transported to a processing plant where will it will be pasteurized.  This regulation prevents raw milk for retail sale or any other raw dairy product (except cheese) to cross state lines. Raw milk and other raw dairy products cannot be shipped.

Looking at other state guidelines, other fresh raw dairy products are sometimes allowed - cream, buttermilk, butter, etc.  But that depends on the state. 

So...  Green Pastures butter oil is either not raw (I don't see how it can be) or they are shipping it against the law. 

#16 of 31 Old 05-08-2012, 01:27 AM

Alright thanks for that explanation :) 

#17 of 31 Old 05-08-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bantams View Post

Just curious...

It is believed that HVBO is 8x more potent in K2 than butter alone, since you're reducing out the excess proteins and particles that take up space but do not occupy K2.  Condensing it makes it more bang for the buck.  Therefore, swallowing a tsp of HVBO is going to pack more K2 than swallowing a plain tsp of butter.  There's no harm taking it, and I've noticed considerable improvement in our situation.  Perhaps not necessary, but no harm in doing so. 

http://www.holistickid.com/do-you-need-high-butter-vitamin-oil-to-get-enough-vitamin-k2/

#18 of 31 Old 05-08-2012, 12:29 PM

And another link.

http://paleohacks.com/questions/5185/butter-oil-vs-butter#axzz1VjMF6xnZ

#19 of 31 Old 05-08-2012, 01:09 PM
JMJ

... or you could just eat 8 Tbsp of butter!  eat.gif

#20 of 31 Old 05-08-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ View Post

... or you could just eat 8 Tbsp of butter!  eat.gif

I love butter!  But not that much, lol! puke.gif

#21 of 31 Old 05-10-2012, 09:44 AM

High-vitamin butter oil and ghee are not the same. Ghee is heated while hv butter oil is not. At least according to FAQ on Green Pasture's website: :)

Quote:

How is High Vitamin Butter Oil different from ghee and other butter oils?

They are not the same.

Ghee is pasteurized butter that is re-heated..  some companies will try to market a ghee product and call it butter oil in an attempt to confuse a buyer.  They are one and the same.

High Vitamin Butter Oil, as Dr. Price made it and Green Pastures makes today,  is extracted from the liquid without heat and never heated.  The centrifuge does not generate heat,  plus the cows eat a specific type of pasture under certain conditions. 

This non-heated butter oil produced is separated into two parts.  Only a small % of the oil is used to make the High Vitamin Butter Oil.  The product is not heated, controlled grazing, and concentrated.  Some suggest that a vortex energy is introduced during the centrifuge process but i am not well versed in this science to describe it other than this brief introduction.

When I am taking cod liver oil I drink it with milk. It tastes like - guess what - milk! :) Simply pour milk and then cod liver oil on top. You will have an orange pool on top which will look intimidating but won't taste bad. If you pour the oil first and then milk, the oil will "touch" the sides of the glass (the glass won't be orange or anything...but the "water doesn't stick" effect will be more obvious than after milk). I haven't had hv butter oil yet (only the Royal blend) so I can't give any consumption tips for that. :( 

I hope that helps with your kids and gagging. :)

#22 of 31 Old 05-19-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roost12 View Post

High-vitamin butter oil and ghee are not the same. Ghee is heated while hv butter oil is not. At least according to FAQ on Green Pasture's website: :)

When I am taking cod liver oil I drink it with milk. It tastes like - guess what - milk! :) Simply pour milk and then cod liver oil on top. You will have an orange pool on top which will look intimidating but won't taste bad. If you pour the oil first and then milk, the oil will "touch" the sides of the glass (the glass won't be orange or anything...but the "water doesn't stick" effect will be more obvious than after milk). I haven't had hv butter oil yet (only the Royal blend) so I can't give any consumption tips for that. :( 

I hope that helps with your kids and gagging. :)

So the plain FCLO doesnt taste horrible?  I have not been brave enough to try it.  I have been getting the cinnamon flavor, and I dont really like it because it has such a strong cinnamon bite to it, it burns the back of my throat!  Also, cassia oil (the cinnamon flavor) in the FCLO is said to be a uterine congestant, and I am not sure if I want my 2yr old daughter to be taking it, just because I dont know much about it.  And when I am TTC sometime next year I dont want to be taking cassia oil either.

#23 of 31 Old 05-20-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

So the plain FCLO doesnt taste horrible?  I have not been brave enough to try it.  I have been getting the cinnamon flavor, and I dont really like it because it has such a strong cinnamon bite to it, it burns the back of my throat!  Also, cassia oil (the cinnamon flavor) in the FCLO is said to be a uterine congestant, and I am not sure if I want my 2yr old daughter to be taking it, just because I dont know much about it.  And when I am TTC sometime next year I dont want to be taking cassia oil either.

We had allergic reactions to the cassia oil here, so I'll never buy that flavor again.  In our house, we really like the orange flavor and mix it in a medicine cup with some orange juice.  They take a spoonful of butter oil chased down by the medicine cup.  Then they get a couple ounces of juice to flush it out.  To me, it's potent no matter how you mask it!  But they are more likely to take it this way.  We find that the rich butter oil helps absorb some of the fishy taste of the FCLO taken right afterwards.

#24 of 31 Old 08-08-2012, 08:17 AM

I found this while researching HVBO and trying to decide between nutrapro and green pastures. Thandiwe, if you see this would you please PM me? I just joined and it said I can't pm you? I was hoping to get some info on healing tooth decay. My 5 yr old had a horrible dental experience and I am looking to heal him naturally. 

#25 of 31 Old 08-10-2012, 05:50 PM

I'm glad I found this thread.  We first tried GP FCLO in the mint flavor and that was so awful.  Cinnamon is much more palatable and the kids take it willingly.  I am scared to try another flavor.  I'm also nervous about trying the CLO/Butter Oil blend because I wonder if they will take it.  And since we are eating grass fed butter frequently, I wondered if it was worth it to buy it.  I am getting around to making ghee . . . good to know that GP butter oil is not the same as ghee.  I guess I will give it a shot.  

Ugh . . .it's really expensive though and I made the mistake of buying the "kid friendly" licorice flavor of FCLO not realizing it had such a long list of ingredients.  And the kids *hate* it.  I can't even choke it down.  Hate to see that money go to waste especially since I could have put it toward the CLO/Butter oil combo.  

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#26 of 31 Old 08-28-2012, 06:42 AM

Butter oil and ghee are NOT the same thing. Please read Green Pastures info page. I use both, but ghee is cooked, butter oil is not - plus it is fermented. Also the nutrition profile is different. They are both sacred food, but generally used differently.

#27 of 31 Old 10-16-2012, 01:25 PM

NO THEY ARE NOT. Ghee is NOT high vitamin butter oil. Don't let the good price fool you. I switched from the pricey butter oil I've been getting from NutraPro International (cheaper than green pastures) and used the Pure Foods Indian Ghee for 2 months and the cavities that had been stopped in their tracks suddenly began to get bigger. Don't fool with your teeth. If you want to cook with ghee, do it. But do NOT confuse ghee with high vitamin butter oil to be used in conjunction with FCLO to stop tooth decay.

#28 of 31 Old 10-24-2012, 06:33 PM

On NatraPro Internationals website (click on the butter oil, then on description/certification) it says they use pastuerized butter.

I've made home made ghee/butter oil, just like the Healthy Home Economist recipe, and it tastes super yummy. I do use pastuerized butter. While I'm not sure how Green Pastures is able to ship RAW butter oil, their butter oil has a totally different taste from any I've bought or made.

I have not been able to afford GP HVBO lately, but I'm glad I found this thread. In the past we've taken home made ghee with our CLO, but I wasn't sure if it was going to give us the same benefits. Even if its not the best, I have to keep reminding myself, better is better than none. I  needed the reminder that CLO and ghee is better than CLO alone. I'm gonna go make me some ghee right now!

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#29 of 31 Old 11-06-2012, 05:15 PM

I have found that taking the Green Pastures BO/FCLO blend is easy when I use the tips I learned from Amazon reviews.  We use the cinnamon gel kind, and take it refrigerated (NOT room temp).  Pull it out on the tip of a butter knife, pull it off the knife behind your teeth and swallow it down real quick, chased by water (or whatever).  I don't know if that's the taste problem some people are having troubles with, but it sure works for me, so thought I'd pass it on - the only taste I get is a very slight cinnamon after-taste, yum!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#30 of 31 Old 12-03-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thandiwe View Post

I started with Green Pasture's Butter Oil and FCLO but we've since stopped buying the Green Pastures and now just make our own.  My kids hated the taste of the raw from GP so I couldn't get them to take them.  The liquid is much more potent than the capsules (of both FCLO and BO), and if you compare the labels, it takes many, many more capsules than the "dosage" to equal a serving of the liquid.  So I have local, raw, grassfed butter from a local farmer and I make my own butter oil.  The Healthy Home Economist has a really good video tutorial I used to make mine.  Best part?  My kids will take it now with a little raw, local honey.  We used the FCLO/BO combo plus xylitol to heal major caries in my 2 year old's mouth, preventing massive surgery he *was* scheduled for, so I highly recommend it!!

I'd say make some!  I think the GP may be slightly better and more potent, but if it comes down to it, better to have second best than none at all!  winky.gif

thumb.gif

Tags
Traditional Foods

User Tag List