Why does raw milk help my son so much? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-02-2012, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son was intolerant of dairy in my breastmilk.  Horrible, horrible rash.  After weaning (30 months), we attempted to introduce every few months, always with different bad reactions - either a rash, or a tummyache, or most recently, his behaviour.  For the past year and more, any time he ate even a hint of dairy (say, a dairy-free muffin cooked in a buttered muffin tin), we would experience four days of violent, aggressive, frightening behaviour.

He is now 4.5 yrs old.  In October, we tried raw milk.  No reaction.  In fact, he seemed to be even sweeter than normal.  We were amazed.  He had outgrown it!  So he ate more raw milk.  And then some local, organic (but pasteurized) cheese.  Still no reaction, at least not a big one.  Then we tried bad cheese (carry-out pizza).  And his reaction was worse than before, the rage was just so painful to watch (and to feel).  So he went off all dairy again.

We've been taking him to a homeopathic doctor for his mood swings.  Some of the remedies were great, others were just horrible.

Last month I read somewhere about raw milk and enzymes and pasteurization killing them and ...

I took him off all remedies and tried raw milk again.  It is, simply, the best medicine he could ever ingest.  My husband calls it Nice Medicine.  We've been on it for three weeks now, and our lives are just 300% better than they have been in probably a year and a half.  He just seems ... like himself.  Like himself in the best mood.

So what I'd like to know is why this is happening.  I realize it has something to do with an enzyme in the milk.  Does this mean he was deficient somehow in this enzyme?  Or it's an enzyme his body cannot produce on its own?

We're going on vacation soon, and I'm scheming how I can sneak a gallon of milk and a container of butter onto the plane ... I cannot imagine living without it now!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-03-2012, 11:49 AM

I don't know why it's helping him so much but as far as transporting it, I was once given the suggestion of passing it off as breast milk by freezing it in breast milk bags and carrying it on in a cooler. I didn't end up attempting it, though.

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#3 of 5 Old 03-03-2012, 07:17 PM

My DD also cannot tolerate pasteurized, homogenized milk but does fine with raw goat milk. It's true that pasteurization kills enzymes, but I think a bigger factor might be that the high heat of pasteurization denatures proteins in the milk, that is, it makes them into a different shape, which will affect how they interact with any other chemicals that they come in contact with. These denatured proteins will act differently in the body than the proteins in raw milk. I don't know the details of how this affects neurochemistry, and actually I'm not sure that anyone really does know, but I think it's a real phenomenon. I always kind of doubt myself on the whole food sensitivity thing, wondering if I'm making it up, but whenever DD eats any conventional dairy, it messes up her sleep. Clearly something in it affects her brain in a way that does not happen with the raw goat milk we get from our farmers.

Living the good life and walking a path of peace with DH and DD (4/09)
#4 of 5 Old 03-04-2012, 10:16 PM

I don't know if this will harm it but you can freeze it and check it in a cooler.  I have taken frozen food across the country with me when I travel.  I just bring a cooler that is taped shut.

Raw milk is so much better because the human body is designed to digest cow's milk that is 24 hours old or less.

My dad was a dairy farmer and growing up we drank milk that came right out of the tank.  When I was 13, my parents divorced and we were forced to buy store bought milk.  I developed the worst allergy to milk, got asthma, had horrible stomach pains every time I drank it.  It took me well over a year or so to out grow it. 

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#5 of 5 Old 03-09-2012, 03:15 PM

Not sure if this helps but here are some quotes form "Make Your Own Dairy Products: Working with raw milk" by Nunley, Kathie F

"There are interesting studies which you can find online showing how laboratories have tried to grow various types of bacteria including E coli in fresh grass-fed cows milk and they found that no other bacteria could survive more than a few minutes because the Lactobacillus was so strong and would overpower and kill the other bacteria."

"However in the United States, during the 1900's, dairies discovered that it was more cost effective to feed their cows grain rather grass."

"Unfortunately this change in the cow's diet also led to changes in the milk produced by the cows. The milk no longer had sufficient levels of the bacteria Lactobacillus to create the self-sterilizing environment. Now we had milk that was prone to being a host to harmful bacteria. People started getting sick.from the milk. Bacteria such as Listeria, E.coli, and salmonella were all found growing in milk. The solution of course was pasteurization."

Crunchy mom of three great kids and one on the way!

DD May 2007 **** DS February 2010 **** DD August 2012**** ?? Oct/Nov 2014

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page