How early for Chicken broth? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-04-2012, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is 7 months old.  I would have loved to breastfed him until he was two, but that didn't work out on multiple levels.

That said, he's sick.  Heavy cold/chest congestion...that sort of thing.  We have a nebulizer and are using that.  

But since my husband is also currently battling bronchitits, I'm about to make some chicken broth/soup.  And it made me think, "could i give it to our son?".  

Can I?  

Thank you!

Mr sB

#2 of 7 Old 03-04-2012, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Broth is super digestible, and that's around the age when people often start doing purees.  It won't be more difficult to swallow than formula, water, or milk.  Does he sit up yet?  I can't remember for sure, but I think I began offering DD finger foods (chicken bones, apples..... pizza crusts - oh my god, I cringe, that's before we knew DD was gluten intolerant!!.... lol) around that age, and she mostly just gummed them.  Broth would have totally been a better early food for her.  Hope your family feels better soon!

#3 of 7 Old 03-05-2012, 03:21 PM

Absolutely.  My DS got broth based formula at 3 or 4 weeks.  Just go light on the salt. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#4 of 7 Old 03-07-2012, 04:52 PM

Absolutely, one of the best foods out there. It not only nourishes, but it heals the gut and detoxes and is easily digestible. Go for it, even when baby's not sick!

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#5 of 7 Old 03-07-2012, 07:03 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

I would do it!  try fermented cod liver oil as well because the vitamin d can help prevent illness as well as lessen the severity of illness.

cyclamen: tell me more about offering baby chicken bones?  when, how, etc, thanks!

#6 of 7 Old 03-13-2012, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love4ever View Post

I would do it!  try fermented cod liver oil as well because the vitamin d can help prevent illness as well as lessen the severity of illness.

cyclamen: tell me more about offering baby chicken bones?  when, how, etc, thanks!

Not much to it.  you know when you are eating a roast chicken and there is a drumstick left after you eat all the yummy stuff?  I would just pull off the small bones so they wouldn't poke her and hand the rest to DD and she would gnaw on them.  She seemed to enjoy the taste and the knobbiness.  We have so many picutures of her waving around that or other meat bones, like from steak, lol.  So cute.  Anyhow, I think we did it when she was sitting up in the chair and showing interest.  So... six months or so?  Eight months?  You know, you think you will never forget, but you do.... :)

#7 of 7 Old 03-13-2012, 10:35 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

:)  alright awesome, thanks!  I will do that.  My son is 4 months, I cant believe its almost time to start food already :/

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page