Fruit flies trying to get into my kefir and sourdough? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-05-2012, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Eep! So I don't know what happened, but somehow we have ended up with an infestation of fruit flies in our house. I would like them not to start growing in my kefir, vinegars, and sourdough starter, but I'm unsure what to do, as I caught a few flying around in my sourdough earlier on. I removed the cheese cloth that I've been using, placed clean bandanas on top of each jar, and fastened it closed using the jar ring. Does anybody have experience with this? Will it be sufficient? Also, because I found a few flies in my sourdough starter, should I just be composting it, and starting over?

Thank you!

#2 of 3 Old 03-07-2012, 03:56 PM

Bandana is a good solution.  I typically use muslin cut to size.  Just something with a tighter weave than cheesecloth. 

As for your starter - that's your call.  Depends entirely on your comfort level.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 3 Old 03-10-2012, 12:12 AM

Fruit flies are actually known as vinegar flies to entomologists. They are attracted to fruit, sugar products (frosting, kefir etc.), vinegar, yeast, and moist bread products. They lay their eggs inside your food stuffs, and then emerge a couple of days later. If you want to get rid of them for good, you need baited traps. No sticky traps, etc. will work. You need to break their life cycle. Here is a link for the traps: http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/natural-catch-plus-fruit-fly-trap-p-1297.html

It will work best if you eliminate all breeding grounds; however, if you have no other choice, these traps may take up to 30 days to eliminate the flies entirely.

TRUST ME, I got my Master's in Entomology, and have helped out food service companies before.

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page