homemade ricotta cheese - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-09-2012, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This morning I made homemade ricotta cheese.  Actually, i guess it is paneer since I made it from milk and not whey.  Anyway, after the cheese seperated from the milk - totally yummy by the way - I have a TON of whey left over.  The 2 cups of milk yeilded maybe a 1/4 cup of ricotta cheese.  At least it is organic with no additives, but still - not a whole lot.  What can i do with the remaining whey?  I know I cannot "double dip" on the whey - I cant use it again for ricotta because it has already been heated.  But, what else can I do with it?  I dont want to waste it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2012, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

You can substitute it for the liquid (water, milk, yogurt) in bread making or other baking.

You can soak grains with it.

Add a little to smoothies or use it in soups.

I've never tried this, but I think you can use it for making rice or pasta.

BTW, I've found that if I slooooowly heat the milk for making "ricotta" (yes, purists will give you a hard time about using that name), I get  more product. Not all recipes tell you that - they just say to bring the milk to the boil and add the vinegar or lemon juice or whatever you are using.  I agree, it is totally yummy!  

Old 03-13-2012, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions.  I think I'll make the oatmeal with it and see how the kiddos like it.  As for the heating issue, I'll try heating it more slowly and see how it goes. 

Old 03-13-2012, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

One more thing, I didnt add salt to the ricotta.  Do you?  Is it necessary to make a betyter product or just to make it salty?

Old 03-13-2012, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hm, I'm not sure whether salt is necessary. I've always added salt. My recipe adds it at the beginning, when you place the milk in the pan to heat it.  It's only a half-teaspoon for 2 quarts of milk. It sounds like you got a nice result without it. 

Tags
Traditional Foods
User Tag List