Need GF and no sugar fruit crisp recipe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-12-2012, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a quart freezer bag packed with sliced apricots from last summer. I would like to make a crisp/crumble that is gluten free and uses honey or perhaps another non processed sweetener.

The recipe I used in the past is from the Better Homes & Gardens cookbook – just a standard fruit crisp recipe that uses butter, flour, oats and brown sugar for the topping. I have a GF baking flour mix, white rice flour, I might have GF oats, I have hazelnuts to add too… not sure what sweetner? I would need to add some to the fruit and to the topping.

We have honey and maple syrup but those are really liquidy.

Also if I wanted to sweeten whipped cream –what would you recommend?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you are looking to work with the recipe you have I would get some coconut/palm sugar if you tolerate that ok. 
To sweeten the whipped cream honey or maple syrup would be fine though I would lean toward honey to go with apricots.

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

Old 03-12-2012, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Coconut palm sugar will give it a caramel flavor, if that's what you're looking for. I like it in some recipes but not in others.

Here's an apple crisp recipe. When I make her recipes I use honey instead of agave and macadamia oil instead of grapeseed oil. There are also a couple crumble recipes there as well. (Plus TONS of other yummy recipes.) 

http://www.elanaspantry.com/apple-crisp/

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Tags
Traditional Foods
User Tag List