Raw Cream.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-13-2012, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello, all! smile.gif

I have a question about raw cream-- I am having trouble with bitterness.  I bought a pint from a local farm, and I thought I waited too long to use it (about a week, maybe a day longer); the whipped cream I made was VERY bitter!

I bought another pint this week (it has been three days since we brought it home) and it, also has a bitter taste to it (I didn't think to taste it right away).  Our milk, from the same farm, has always tasted fine and fresh.  Is the bitter flavor normal?!

I want to make some homemade ice cream, but I'm concerned it will taste just as bitter, and I don't want to waste the additional ingredients!

Anyone experienced this?  Thanks, in advance, for the help!

Blessings,

Greta

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-13-2012, 11:24 AM

I have never bought cream, as the farm I get my raw milk only sells whole milk. When I do separate it, it is always sweet. You may want to ask the farm you get the milk/cram from about this happening. 

Crunchy mom of three great kids and one on the way!

DD May 2007 **** DS February 2010 **** DD August 2012**** ?? Oct/Nov 2014

#3 of 4 Old 03-13-2012, 12:12 PM

I've never had a bitter flavor.  Old cream gone bad just tastes/smells like spoiled milk.  Sometimes I get a funny taste I think is from the plants the cow is eating, but it doesn't really seem bitter.  Still, maybe that is what you are noticing.  I think flavors like that are a little stronger in cream than in milk.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#4 of 4 Old 03-13-2012, 02:35 PM

Cream should never be bitter - but the previous poster is correct in that off-flavors usually show up more strongly in the cream than the milk.

How many cows are they milking - just one?  The milk often becomes bitter (and sometimes salty) when the cow is pregnant and towards the end of her lactation.  There comes a point when it's best to dry the cow up and stop milking.

Bitterness could also be due to the cow having mastitis (not good!).  Does the farm test the milk for somatic cell count?

If the milk/cream is coming from a whole herd of cows, then the issue is more likely due to feed (eating weeds) or poor sanitation of some sort.  Maybe they only skim older milk for cream, so you're getting bad cream.

Or the whole herd has low-grade mastitis.  Unlikely, but possible, and it would definitely make the cream/milk taste bad.

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page