Store-bought kombucha? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-14-2012, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is store bought kombucha the same as if you make it yourself at home?  Does it have the same/similar nutrients, detox abilities, etc? 

I have access to the following brands- Synergy G.T.'s Kombucha, Herbucha, and Kombucha Wonder Drink.  Do you know anything about these brands, or have one that you recommend?

I do know that making it myself would be cheaper, but other than that, are there benefits that are found in homemade that are not in store-bought?   Is the store-bought even made the same way?  I know that store-bought kefir is made with a powdered culture, no grains, but is it the same for kombucha?

Thanks!

#2 of 4 Old 03-14-2012, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

What I can tell you is that I've bought bottled kombucha and left it out to make a big scoby from which I then brewed for several months, so I guess it's close enough.  HTH!

Bring back the old MDC
#3 of 4 Old 03-14-2012, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't trust any kombucha that isn't sold in the refrigerator section. The cultures in real raw kombucha makes gasses, and the bottles must be burped, when at room temperature to avoid explosion.

Crunchy mom of three great kids and one on the way!

DD May 2007 **** DS February 2010 **** DD August 2012**** ?? Oct/Nov 2014

#4 of 4 Old 03-23-2012, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Sorry, let me clarify...the kombucha I bought was from the refrigerated section.  I poured it into a mason jar and covered the top with a coffee filter help in place by a rubber band.  I fed it a bit of sugar every so often and soon had a nice big scoby.  I used that scoby to ferment a fresh gallon of tea, and it doubled, so I kept it going.  Had no problems, and it was cheaper and easier than ordering a scoby online.

Bring back the old MDC

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page