Exploding bottles and sweet tea - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-15-2012, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have successfully brewed four or five batches of delicious kombucha, but this last time something did not go right. I let my 25L jar sit for about 4 weeks and the tea was still very very sweet. I had never encountered this before so decided to bottle it anyways. After a couple of days I realized that the juice I added started to mold a bit and it just didn't look right. I opened a bottle and it exploded all over my kitchen. Any ideas for how to get it back to the right sugar level?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2012, 08:53 AM

Has the temperature dropped where the tea is being made? Are you continues or batch brewing?
What recipe are you using?

Crunchy mom of three great kids and one on the way!

DD May 2007 **** DS February 2010 **** DD August 2012**** ?? Oct/Nov 2014

Old 03-15-2012, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

I don't think the temperature has dropped, we keep it pretty consistent in the house. I am just brewing single batches each time, but I keep some of the mother liquid to use in starting the new batch. I have found a lot of recipes, but for the 25L batch I used 4 (maybe 5) cups of sugar, 8 tablespoons black tea and 4 green tea bags. I used to have a recipe from a friend and just used 2 cups sugar and the batches turned out good, but then I was told that I should use more. 

Should I add some vinegar to the tea? 

I know I maybe should not have, but I was reading blogs last night and took out the mother, leaving just the new one because the mother was getting a lot of air pockets in it. 

Thanks for your help

Tags
Traditional Foods
User Tag List