New to TF & excited! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 03-15-2012, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hi there! I'm a "recovering" vegetarian (sometimes vegan) & just ordered "Nourishing Traditions" -- I'm so excited to read it!! And to get started soaking & eventually fermenting! Just wanted to drop by & also wondering if anyone has any favorite blogs/web sites to recommend? Thanks!

Mama to my little busy bee. 

#2 of 19 Old 03-18-2012, 10:03 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

westonaprice.org

http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/Makekefir.html

mercola.com

I'm just getting into TF's too!  I'm waiting on my first kefir grains to arrive:)  I just started taking FCLO a few months ago, and eating liver a few weeks ago!  I was getting raw milk for awhile but the cow died:(  So I'm waiting on some goats and cows to have babies to get some more!  Any day now.....   I also put a hold on Wild Fermentation and am waiting for it to arrive at my library!  Good luck!

#3 of 19 Old 03-20-2012, 05:54 AM

I am a "recovering" vegetarian as well!! Honestly, last night I ate chicken for the first time in years! It's chicken that we got locally, pastured, we know the farmers etc, so I felt ok with it. It tasted pretty darn good and I was most suprised at how quickly I felt full, on just a few bites. I typically rely waaaay to heavily on bread and cheese as my main meal. We are also getting raw milk and I plan to buy some CLO from Green pastures soon. I'm also hoping to try and remineralize my teeth.

I'm totally still in the learning phase but here are a few blogs I like:

kitchenstewarship

cheeseslave

the well fed homestead

When I start reading some of the info out there I get a bit freaked out.  I feel like I "have" to Gaps, or be totally grain free. But then I remember to take baby steps. I'm not going to go from being a vegetarian for 18 years to eating organ meats tomorrow. I love grains, and will probably always eat them, I just need to learn how to make them properly. It's a journey!

Mom to Izzy biggrinbounce.gif (12/04) and Violet 2whistle.gif (9/07). love.gif  saynovax.gif treehugger.gif

#4 of 19 Old 03-20-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wish View Post

I am a "recovering" vegetarian as well!! Honestly, last night I ate chicken for the first time in years! It's chicken that we got locally, pastured, we know the farmers etc, so I felt ok with it. It tasted pretty darn good and I was most suprised at how quickly I felt full, on just a few bites. I typically rely waaaay to heavily on bread and cheese as my main meal. We are also getting raw milk and I plan to buy some CLO from Green pastures soon. I'm also hoping to try and remineralize my teeth.

I'm totally still in the learning phase but here are a few blogs I like:

kitchenstewarship

cheeseslave

the well fed homestead

When I start reading some of the info out there I get a bit freaked out.  I feel like I "have" to Gaps, or be totally grain free. But then I remember to take baby steps. I'm not going to go from being a vegetarian for 18 years to eating organ meats tomorrow. I love grains, and will probably always eat them, I just need to learn how to make them properly. It's a journey!

For organ meats i put them in a blender, put it in an ice cube tray and add a cube to lasagna meat, chili, etc.  We are not grain-free but we are gluten-free.  We use rice pasta.  Here is a chart on prepping grains, beans etc  http://www.cookingforwell-being.com/Chart_files/sample-chart.pdf   i didnt buy it, but if anyone does own it I'd like to know if its worth it?   I've also heard that you shouldnt soak in calcium so idk.....

here's another good site!  http://www.cookingtf.com/

#5 of 19 Old 03-22-2012, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the good info, ladies! I have a lot of reading to do... I totally want to do kefir -- I looked for some at the store since I know I don't have time yet to do this all on my own & was shocked at how much added sugar the store bought kefir has. ick. (Speaking of drinks, is kombucha considered a TF thing?)

I spent the entire weekend in & out of the kitchen figuring out how to cook meat again. I got a chicken from a local-ish farmer who delivers to my neighborhood every other week (every week in the summer). She had wonderful eggs (but pricey!)... seriously I'd never had such a delicious egg! When I discovered my chicken still had its neck attached, I got a little squeamish, but I'm figuring it out. So I know what you mean, Wish, about not going straight to organ meats! (Though your idea, 1love4ever, sounds like a good one). I, too, am amazed at how filling a meal with meat is & how I don't get hungry so soon afterward.

I also have to figure out the whole soaking grains thing... I keep meaning to try it with oats to make porridge but I keep forgetting to start it the night before. But a good reminder, Wish, to take it slow... It's a huge amount of information & skills to take in & there are only so many hours in the day (not to mention figuring out where to source quality & affordable meat).

#6 of 19 Old 03-22-2012, 09:40 PM

Yes kombucha is a TF thing.  Store bought kefir is not made with real kefir grains, so I'd skip it.  I just got mine yesterday and made it and drank it today!  It tastes like plain yogurt,  a little sour tasting but not gross!

#7 of 19 Old 03-26-2012, 06:26 PM

I am definitely finding  slow is the way to go for us. It's like I have to read about these ideas, let them absorb a bit. Then I start thinking about them more and more and get tempted to try something, like soaking grains. Then I might try something once a week, like a soaked grain breakfast. Now, most eves I automatically find myself thinking about what I can soak tonight to make for a good healthy (and easy) breakfast. It's totally a journey.

Sometimes I start to feel a bit freaked out that I'm not doing enough or doing everything right. But we both work full time and I need to remember we are doing the best we can. I got FCLO, capsules, so I can down those without thinking about it to much. I'm also drinking a big glass of raw milk at night. Easy to do....and I notice my teeth are getting whiter (not sure if it's related to the milk). So I'm picking the things I can do that are relatively easy to incorporate into our lives right now.

I have not had more meat since my post above, but sometime this week we are going to have a chicken broth with homemade noodles. I'm also trying to not over think eating meat, broth etc. I keep telling myself it is much better for me than that terrible diet coke I love so much!  Even as a vegetarian, this is the first style of eating that I truly thought made sense. It's real food! I never understood programs where I could have a box of a weight watcher cookies, but I couldn't have a banana because it was too many points! confused.gif

Hopefully my ramblings make sense winky.gif

Mom to Izzy biggrinbounce.gif (12/04) and Violet 2whistle.gif (9/07). love.gif  saynovax.gif treehugger.gif

#8 of 19 Old 03-26-2012, 11:14 PM

I get to feeling the same way!   I also get to feeling really guilty that I did not follow this diet through my pregnancies :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by wish 

Sometimes I start to feel a bit freaked out that I'm not doing enough or doing everything right.

#9 of 19 Old 03-28-2012, 07:59 AM

I'm so glad I found this thread! I've been a vegetarian for 8 years but I'm on the fence now, considering adding meat (especially organ meats and broths) to our diet after finding out that both DS (22 months) and I have our first cavities. I just can't seem to make the leap! I'm actually not squeamish at all about meat (we live part time in Peru where there are some pretty impressive "wet" markets), I'm just having trouble making the switch. After 8 years being convinced that vegetarianism is the best thing for my body and the planet, I'm now faced with all this new info and serious doubts! Did anyone else struggle with the transition?

Sorry to highjack this thread t2009--I'm just so relieved to find other "recovering" vegetarians to discuss this with (I posted in the vegetarian/vegan forum but didn't get much response--should have known ;)  

Wish-I love how you said you're trying not to overthink it-I guess I should do the same. Baby steps, right?

~may all beings be free from suffering~
#10 of 19 Old 03-28-2012, 11:02 PM

Just think that I used to be a vegetarian for almost 10 years and now I'm on the GAPS diet! smile.gif

But yes, the transition was very slow. Soon after I started eating a little bit of meat (was exclusively breastfeeding my DS then and feeling weak and light-headed) I began reading about Dr Weston Price and gradually switched to TF.

I felt so much better as I've been mostly sick when I was a vegetarian (horrible horrible migraines, fatigue, PCOS etc) but still I'd get the occasional nasty migraine.

When my baby girl was born and realized that she could not tolerate dairy and eggs even through my breastmilk I began to wonder why and found the amazing GAPS diet.

Everything made sense to me, for example why I kept getting yeast infections while I was pregnant with her and the association with her food intolerances.

Obviously I had candida overgrowth so I needed to stop eating grains even TF style.

I'm the GAPS diet for several months now and have not had a single migraine except for a few mild ones early on the diet that were related to die-off.

When I'm healed I'm planning to go back to eating TF again, but I'd certainly limit my grains.

I'm already preparing grains the TF way as my DH and DS are not on the GAPS diet.

#11 of 19 Old 04-01-2012, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wish View Post

I am definitely finding  slow is the way to go for us. It's like I have to read about these ideas, let them absorb a bit. Then I start thinking about them more and more and get tempted to try something, like soaking grains. Then I might try something once a week, like a soaked grain breakfast. Now, most eves I automatically find myself thinking about what I can soak tonight to make for a good healthy (and easy) breakfast. It's totally a journey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love4ever View Post

I get to feeling the same way!   I also get to feeling really guilty that I did not follow this diet through my pregnancies :(

Totally know what you mean, Wish & 1love4ever! I'm realizing that taking it slow is OK. I can't do everything, and certainly not all at once (also working full-time here, so really limited in what we can handle). I've been soaking my oats & I can't believe how easy steel cut oats are now -- even my son loves them & DH (who loves boxed cereal) is slowly switching to eating more porridge. Also just started my first batch of kombucha, which I'm super excited about. And I also feel a twinge of guilt for not eating like this through m y pregnancy... I think now that my diet was just draining my body of nutrients at the time... But here we are & we can do better now.

Funny thing is, though, a lot of this stuff requires some planning & there's defnitely a learning curve... but much of it (so far) doesn't seem crazy time consuming. It's more of a habit thing... The rewiring takes a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitanamama View Post

I'm so glad I found this thread! I've been a vegetarian for 8 years but I'm on the fence now, considering adding meat (especially organ meats and broths) to our diet after finding out that both DS (22 months) and I have our first cavities. I just can't seem to make the leap! I'm actually not squeamish at all about meat (we live part time in Peru where there are some pretty impressive "wet" markets), I'm just having trouble making the switch. After 8 years being convinced that vegetarianism is the best thing for my body and the planet, I'm now faced with all this new info and serious doubts! Did anyone else struggle with the transition?

Sorry to highjack this thread t2009--I'm just so relieved to find other "recovering" vegetarians to discuss this with (I posted in the vegetarian/vegan forum but didn't get much response--should have known ;)  

Wish-I love how you said you're trying not to overthink it-I guess I should do the same. Baby steps, right?

You're not hijacking the thread, gitanamama! I totally know what you mean about the psychological transition. I've felt so much better, though. It's really unbelievable. I decided to do what felt right for my body, first & then work out the moral dilemma later. I became a vegetarian in 1994 or 1993, when humanely raised meat was not so readily available where I lived. I'm still on the fence in terms of what's "right" but I also now know that I need to take care of myself & my body just is rejecting vegetarianism right now. And it's also been comforting to learn I'm not the only one! (There's also a super supportive thread for former veg*ns on the main Nutrition & Good Eating forum.)  Psychologically, I'm still coping with feeling like I was hurting myself for so many years... And that maybe the moral superiority of veg*nism is just wrong. It's definitely complicated!

Gingercat, I need to learn more about GAPS. I was also dealing with some (minor?) yeast overgrowth. I did a major elimination diet for about 2 1/2 months & seem to be feeling better, even eating soaked & occasionally unsoaked grains. We no longer buy bread & we only make it every once in a while. Most days I might eat oats for breakfast but otherwise don't touch a grain.

OK. Making chicken & rice soup tonight with some homemade broth... Can't wait! 

#12 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 08:55 PM

Love love love the baby steps on kitchenstewardship!!!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#13 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2009 View Post

Totally know what you mean, Wish & 1love4ever! I'm realizing that taking it slow is OK. I can't do everything, and certainly not all at once (also working full-time here, so really limited in what we can handle). I've been soaking my oats & I can't believe how easy steel cut oats are now -- even my son loves them & DH (who loves boxed cereal) is slowly switching to eating more porridge. Also just started my first batch of kombucha, which I'm super excited about. And I also feel a twinge of guilt for not eating like this through m y pregnancy... I think now that my diet was just draining my body of nutrients at the time... But here we are & we can do better now.

Funny thing is, though, a lot of this stuff requires some planning & there's defnitely a learning curve... but much of it (so far) doesn't seem crazy time consuming. It's more of a habit thing... The rewiring takes a while.

You're not hijacking the thread, gitanamama! I totally know what you mean about the psychological transition. I've felt so much better, though. It's really unbelievable. I decided to do what felt right for my body, first & then work out the moral dilemma later. I became a vegetarian in 1994 or 1993, when humanely raised meat was not so readily available where I lived. I'm still on the fence in terms of what's "right" but I also now know that I need to take care of myself & my body just is rejecting vegetarianism right now. And it's also been comforting to learn I'm not the only one! (There's also a super supportive thread for former veg*ns on the main Nutrition & Good Eating forum.)  Psychologically, I'm still coping with feeling like I was hurting myself for so many years... And that maybe the moral superiority of veg*nism is just wrong. It's definitely complicated!

Gingercat, I need to learn more about GAPS. I was also dealing with some (minor?) yeast overgrowth. I did a major elimination diet for about 2 1/2 months & seem to be feeling better, even eating soaked & occasionally unsoaked grains. We no longer buy bread & we only make it every once in a while. Most days I might eat oats for breakfast but otherwise don't touch a grain.

OK. Making chicken & rice soup tonight with some homemade broth... Can't wait! 

As far as the humanely raised meat goes, I am fortunate enough to have a local farmer/family friend who raises beef so I have never had the issue of debating Walmart meat.  In fact, I would be vegetarian if my only choice was Walmart meat, not only because of the terrible living conditions, but also because of the garbage they are fed and given(antibiotics, hormones, etc).

The fact that a lot of this does take planning is what is getting me.  I used to be the person who, come lunch time, just grab some bread and make a sandwich, or open a can of soup or a freezer dinner into the microwave.  Yuck, I cant believe I used to eat like that!  Now i am so careful, I make most things myself but I do buy Eden Organic canned tomatoes, because of the BPA free cans.  I am always forgetting to take meat out of the freezer ahead of time, and to make sure I start dinner at a decent time so that we can eat before 8pm, because it takes longer to cook the meat and other things along with it.

#14 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 10:57 PM

oh here's an article on gaps http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/03/18/mcbride-and-barringer-interview.aspx

and a little more here http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/08/19/genes-are-not-the-main-cause-of-autism.aspx

i'm pretty confused on all this gaps stuff, not sure what to think or believe or do at this point...

#15 of 19 Old 04-03-2012, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love4ever View Post

As far as the humanely raised meat goes, I am fortunate enough to have a local farmer/family friend who raises beef so I have never had the issue of debating Walmart meat.  In fact, I would be vegetarian if my only choice was Walmart meat, not only because of the terrible living conditions, but also because of the garbage they are fed and given(antibiotics, hormones, etc).

The fact that a lot of this does take planning is what is getting me.  I used to be the person who, come lunch time, just grab some bread and make a sandwich, or open a can of soup or a freezer dinner into the microwave.  Yuck, I cant believe I used to eat like that!  Now i am so careful, I make most things myself but I do buy Eden Organic canned tomatoes, because of the BPA free cans.  I am always forgetting to take meat out of the freezer ahead of time, and to make sure I start dinner at a decent time so that we can eat before 8pm, because it takes longer to cook the meat and other things along with it.

Just think, though, in 6 months time, more & more will come naturally. One thing I do like is that a lot of the recipes in NT produce a lot of food, so there's plenty of left overs to eat through out the week. I'm also learning to be forgiving -- I often times get so gung-ho about something & I just can't let it go. I just don't have the time for that with right now. So if we're eating some unsoaked grains, it's ok -- I will get my spice grinder one of these days & figure out how to make truly TF pancakes or bread someday soon... But right now, that's not possible. Plus I am such a SLOW cook when I'm learning something new. I'm just happy to be learning all these new techniques with DS around so that hopefully he'll grow up to appreciate what real cooking is!

#16 of 19 Old 04-03-2012, 07:54 PM

Really the baby steps on kitchen stewardship are a lifesaver!! I am not worrying about fermenting or any of that yet. I am focusing on one thing at a time and I am learning a lot and jumping in with two feet. The first thing I did was get some good meat, raw milk and organic veggies. I think the first recipe I was made was crispy nuts and just a regular spaghetti with good meat and dreamfields pasta. Not perfect but BETTER. Then I roasted a chicken and made bone broth which was SUPER EASY! Saturday I spent some time menu planning with recipes from kitchen stewardship, cookingtf and another traditional foods website. Saturday I shopped. Now I have tons of food and I have things I want to make. I am looking closely at what my kids love and I'll plan on learning to make those items from scratch instead of buying them constantly to save money. Like yogurt. My kids LOVE plain yogurt with fruit so I plan on learning to make that. I want to try my hand at making sourdough bread too. But baby steps!!!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#17 of 19 Old 04-03-2012, 09:59 PM

I'm wanting to try fermenting!  I just got Wild Fermentation, it looks so easy, and I got some awesome clasp lid jars too so I'm really excited to try it!  Hopefully I can start my beets tomorrow!

We still use rice pasta, probably more than we should.  Its just so good!  I like it way better than wheat pasta, DD and DH love it too.  And sugar, ugh I am addicted to Ben & Jerrys.  I got some cell salts because I heard that those are supposed to help with sugar cravings.  I havent been taking them long, but I am hoping that they help.  And DH and my dad are NOT helpful, especially when they keep offering DD sugary foods!  Thats a different issue lol.

Anyway, I also have kefir grains, but I do not have raw milk yet!  I will have to make some more phone calls tomorrow to see if any animals have had babies yet that I am waiting on.  So for now it has been organic pasturized, homogenized milk keeping my kefir grains alive.  We make smoothies every morning with it.  We do eat raw milk cheese though (BTW, never buy Organic Valley brand raw milk cheese if you are wanting RAW milk cheese, because it is not actually raw!).  As far as drinking the milk straight, we dont do that.  I am so anxious for our raw milk to get here!  We've been drinking raw milk since last June I think it was, thank goodness it is what I started DD on after she quit BFing, she's never had the pasturized homogenized stuff except as kefir.  And store bought yogurt I guess :/  But we quit that because of the added sugar.   I'm about ready to say screw living in town and move out by my dad in the country where I can raise my own raw milk and meat.  We actually have our own chickens in town, but they are not near as free range as I'd like them to be.

On another note, is bison supposed to be better than cow?  I've always liked bison, and have thought about trying to find a source for it, but the added expense and inconvenience is only worth it to me if I can see something about it that is better than cows meat.

I really need to pick up NT as well!  I havent read it yet.

#18 of 19 Old 04-04-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayseeliz View Post

Really the baby steps on kitchen stewardship are a lifesaver!! I am not worrying about fermenting or any of that yet. I am focusing on one thing at a time and I am learning a lot and jumping in with two feet. The first thing I did was get some good meat, raw milk and organic veggies. I think the first recipe I was made was crispy nuts and just a regular spaghetti with good meat and dreamfields pasta. Not perfect but BETTER. Then I roasted a chicken and made bone broth which was SUPER EASY! Saturday I spent some time menu planning with recipes from kitchen stewardship, cookingtf and another traditional foods website. Saturday I shopped. Now I have tons of food and I have things I want to make. I am looking closely at what my kids love and I'll plan on learning to make those items from scratch instead of buying them constantly to save money. Like yogurt. My kids LOVE plain yogurt with fruit so I plan on learning to make that. I want to try my hand at making sourdough bread too. But baby steps!!!

I didn't realize, Stayseeliz, the first time you posted that you were talking about a blog! Ha ha! It looks like a lot of good information (though, no offense to anyone, the religious focus is a bit distracting for me since I'm not religious... but I think I can get over it & myself to get to the good stuff!). And I love her forgiving approach & the baby steps! Thanks for pointing me there!

#19 of 19 Old 04-04-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2009 View Post

I didn't realize, Stayseeliz, the first time you posted that you were talking about a blog! Ha ha! It looks like a lot of good information (though, no offense to anyone, the religious focus is a bit distracting for me since I'm not religious... but I think I can get over it & myself to get to the good stuff!). And I love her forgiving approach & the baby steps! Thanks for pointing me there!

Haha-sorry about that!! That site has so much wonderful info on it. Give it a try. Her baby steps have really helped me out. No one is going to be perfect!!

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page