Kefir or Clabbered - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-17-2012, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I tried making Kefir, but I think I ended up with clabbered milk.   I left the Kerfir culture in the milk for 48 hours.  When I titled the jar, it was hard to tell if the milk had thickened.  Then when I looked after 48 hours, oh, boy, it was very thick.  So,  I separated the whey from the new cream cheese, no failed experiment.

I was given about 1 cup of milk kefir in a jar with a lid.  I forgot about not using a metal spoon when I first peeked at the culture by scooping one lump from the top.  There was many lumps below the one I touched.  My question is:
Might I have killed all the cultures?  Or, perhaps I just don't know when to stop the kefir from growing on my side board.  I don't know what to look for during the 24 to ?? time frame.

Can anyone figure out how to help me? Please.mischievous.gif

Trish9

#2 of 2 Old 03-18-2012, 10:00 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

From what I've read its usually ok to use metal, especially if its stainless steel?

Here is a really good site for all you need to know about kefir  http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/Makekefir.html

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page