Uh oh... Water kefir...is it okay? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-24-2012, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am 24 weeks pregnant and I was given some water kefir grains about 3 weeks ago and after looking up the benefits of it, I started to make it and have been consuming a large glass each day for about 2 weeks.  I always have it in the morning and thought that I felt a tiny buzz from it but chalked it up to being tired in the morning.  Today I had some after lunch and felt the same thing so I looked it up and am now terrified as it sounds like it does contain some alcohol.  I kept reseaching and am so confused as one site will say that it is okay and healthy while pregnant and the next site says to stay away from it while pregnant.  Does anyone have any insight into this?

Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012, 12:51 PM

I say it's fine!  It does have a *small* amount of alcohol, but I have no problem drinking it myself when pregnant.  If you feel your kefir has more alcohol than you're comfortable with just ferment it for a little less time.

DS1 born 12-31-09, DS2 born 2-18-12

Old 05-02-2012, 01:21 PM

Yep, I read a study one blogging kefir maker conducted which pegged it at 0.64% alcohol, which is far below beer.  Most beers are 5-6% alcohol by volume.  I personally consume a couple glasses a day, and I'm 24 weeks along as well.

Here's the link! 

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

Tags
Traditional Foods
User Tag List