Safe cookware? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-27-2012, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am trying to find to a safe cookware type since recently learning that nickel leaches from stainless steel. Cast-iron: it's useful but very heavy and hard to use when cooking liquids. What about corning Ware? Somewhere on this site somebody said it contains lead. Hope somebody's done research & can help me out! thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 11:46 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Well, I have the Earth Pan  set from Amazon.  I'm not really sure about much more than it does not contain PFOA's/teflon.  I recently read about stainless steel leeching as well, so I am looking just as you are :/   My mom is bringing me a glass pan next week from like the 80's, its a little bigger than a saucepan.  Thats the only thing I can think of that I wouldnt worry about is the glass.

I also have some Corning ware from the 70's so I hope it doesnt contain lead!  Do you know this for sure?

I've read that these http://cookware.lecreuset.com/cookware/TopCategoriesDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=20002&langId=-1 products are supposed to be safe, but waayyyyy out of my price range!!

Old 03-27-2012, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I cook broth and soups in my cast iron dutch oven all the time. The secret is to season it a lot before you use it. I seasoned my broth pot 10 or 12 times before I used it.

That said, I love my blue steel crepe pan: http://www.amazon.com/De-Buyer-Pancake-Crepe-Steel/dp/B0019N4ZHQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332914199&sr=8-1

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you for your reply. I read about the lead in corning on this site but it was a very old post. I haven't seen this in my research, but haven't done that much research yet. I have high heavy-metal's in my body and nickel is one of them. I have read that stainless steel is implicated in several blogs. That is why I'm looking for something else. Will season heavily! my cast-iron and I'm also looking into something called vision Corning.

Tags
Traditional Foods
User Tag List