Are you taking prenatal vitamins? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-29-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know WAPF doesn't recommend any prenatal vitamins. Are u still taking any? I'm planning on eating the best diet I can, but still wonder if this will be enough. I looked at nutrition data for some of the foods and figured out that even if I ate liver and spinach every day that still wouldn't give me the RDA of folate for example. I normally just take FCLO and magnesium. Generally prefer to get nutrition from food. What are your thoughts on this? What you decided if you are TTC or pregnant? If I end up taking it, I'm considering Rainbow Light Organic or Garden of Life. Anything else you like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 07:48 PM

I took New Chapter prenatal.. though, sparingly.  Recommended on bottle was 3 per day, and I think I was taking at most 1 to 2, and some days 1/2 (will make you constipated).  I could not find any other brands at the time which were non synthetic, so not sure about the two you mentioned, but they may be good as well if they are from non-synthetic sources.  I had concerns with NC using soy, but after calling the company, they explained theirs is "fermented soy" which in various non related sources is cited to be safe.  One thing to be aware of though, someone mentioned on this forum, that NC has been bought out recently by a different company, Proctor & Gamble I think.

I also ate organic calf liver (as opposed to cow and non organic calf - can carry bad substances) in my late first and second trimester maybe 1oz. 3-4 times total.  It is filled with vitamins,, but it's probably also best not to over do a good thing.. 

My take is that if a person already eats well and plans on continuing to eat well, and they are generally healthy, then there shouldn't be a problem if they don't eat the exact specified amount of vitamins.  A lot of times the body through cravings (and not only), will tell us if it needs something specific.  The baby will take what it needs from our stores first.  Focusing on greens in the first trimester is a good idea, but I also tried not to overdo it because I could tell I'd be hugging the bowl as a result. 

Old 04-05-2012, 12:29 AM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have thought about this for my next pregnancy.  My last I wasnt really following TF diet yet :(   I did take Garden of Life, and unless I was eating REALLY WELL, then I would at least take 1 of those per day (the recommended dose is 3 daily).  I also recently bought this http://livesuperfoods.com/pure-synergy.html  and have been putting about a tsp into smoothies every day.  The taste is too strong if you use a whole tbsp.

My current plan for my next pregnancy (I have baby fever so I am already thinking about this even tho I have a 5 month old lol!) is to take FCLO, butter oil, green smoothies with raw egg(from my own organic hens!) and that powder, along with 1 prenatal GOL vitamin daily.  I will also eat liver 3 times/week, and eat generally very good with lots of grass fed meat, fermented veggies, and home made raw milk kefir.

I'd love to hear everyone else's thoughts!

Old 04-12-2012, 08:03 PM

I've been thinking about this alot lately.  I finally decided to start taking a prenatal.  I'm going to be taking Thorne Research Labs Basic Prenatal.  They're pretty inexspensive and all non synthetic.  I know what the guidlines are for folate but I think the reason it has to be so high is because people who don't have very good diets need to take so much more of any given vitamin because they don't absorb nutrients very well.  I think if you're eating organ meats and plenty of greens you'll be ok.  I keep trying to get organ meats in my diet and I haven't been successful so that's why I decided to finally get a prenatal. 

hippie.gifmom to DS 9/8/8 sleepytime.gif, married to my best friend since 10/15/05 love.gif, asl.gif,lactivist.gif, After TTC #2 for a really long time we're expecting #2 in December!  Hope to h20homebirth.gif, Doula in the Indianapolis area, PM me if you want to talk!

Old 04-13-2012, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies. I was thinking of these vitamins too. I just keep finding something wrong with everything, maybe I'm overeacting. Some Garden of Life vitamins were found to have lead in them per the FDA study:

http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodSafety/FoodContaminantsAdulteration/Metals/Lead/ucm115941.htm

Still, it may be less than in others that were not tested. How does it compare to other foods we eat each day? Not sure.

I was looking at New Chapter too, but I'm concerned that with the change of the ownership they will change their formula. Plus it has soy and I have thyroid issues.

I looked at Thorne's as well, but I've read somewhere that vit A from palmilate is not good. I'm not sure if it was on WAFP site or some blog. Do you think this is a concern?

Old 04-13-2012, 10:56 PM

Thanks for posting that link!  Yikes.  I just emailed Garden of Life and asked about lead levels because thats what I take and now I am nervous.

And I will not buy New Chapter because of their ownership change.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

I emailed GAR about the lead too and this is the reply I got:

"Our quality control standards do require third party testing for various things such as heavy metals and there are set specification for levels which must be adhered to strictly before they may be released for sale. We are confident in the safety of our products.

We have an extensive quality program that surpasses many industry standards in order to deliver the best product to our customers, and we are committed to our customers' health and wellbeing. Please visit our website for further details about our Quality program: http://www.gardenoflife.com/OurCompany/GoodManufacturingPractices/tabid/1977/Default.aspx"

To me it doesn't sound very reassuring. It's like they're saying - yes, there may be lead in it but below FDA standards. :( Supposingly a pitcher of water must have lead levels not higher than 15pb to pass the standards, so 3pb doesn't sound bad in this contest. I wonder how much lead is in the foods we eat every day, even veggies etc.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:05 PM

I wonder the same thing!   I get mercola.com newsletters and there was recently one about how even the tinyest amount of lead can lower IQ significantly.  It was scarey, made me want to go buy a lead test kit and test everything in site, but then I read that they are not that accurate and they are expensive...

Quote:

Originally Posted by martaluna View Post

To me it doesn't sound very reassuring. It's like they're saying - yes, there may be lead in it but below FDA standards. :( Supposingly a pitcher of water must have lead levels not higher than 15pb to pass the standards, so 3pb doesn't sound bad in this contest. I wonder how much lead is in the foods we eat every day, even veggies etc.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:11 PM

I had no idea there were such potential dangers of lead in prenatal vitamins, I took them my whole pregnancy and everything went okay. My sister is taking the same ones I took, I better look into this for her!

Tags
Traditional Foods
User Tag List