Chicken feet for broth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-29-2012, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have read that chicken feet are a really great addition to broth and help with gelatin.  I bit the bullet and took some last night when my farmer offered them but I am admittedly squigged out by them.   I read somewhere that the talons should be removed first but I am wondering how important that is.   I'd kind of like to close my eyes and fling them in the pot cause I am scared of chickens but I don't know if that's a problem.  Next up..work up the nerve to make pate from the livers.  redface.gif

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#2 of 5 Old 03-29-2012, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)

have someone wrap them in cheesecloth, as you would herbs or throw the herbs in if you do that  and tie up-just drain well and squeeze with tongs when done-just make sure it is tightly secure and toss in the pot

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#3 of 5 Old 03-29-2012, 05:48 PM

Please report back if you end up with a broth that isn't squiggy for you too. I made myself do this ingredient, but honestly... they smelled like feet! I don't know why I didn't expect that, but I am now left with a bunch of feet in the freezer and no desire to use them. I'd love to hear if you find a recipe that makes it all nice and appealing.

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

#4 of 5 Old 03-29-2012, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Serenbat!

LCBMAX, I plan to add a "pair" of feet to the broth along with a carcass so it's not all feet.  Also, I learned that if the feet are still yellow they need to be blanched and peeled. Thankfully mine are already peeled.  I hope my stock doesn't taste of feet.  Ick.

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#5 of 5 Old 03-30-2012, 07:23 AM

I've worked with chicken feet and had heavenly results. I did cut off the nails, which admittedly was a little freaky because they are so similar to hands (not the claws but the flesh of the feet themselves). But I kind of just put my mind elsewhere and just chopped. When I say I cut off the nails, I mean I cut into the flesh just below the nail so the entire nail was cut off, not just trimming.

I also blanched and peeled the skin off. Chicken feet are pretty dirty, so you do want to take these steps.

I ended up with a very tasty broth. I've done this twice with different batches of feet, but my source started getting a little flaky, so it's been a while.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page