Betaine HCl and Pepsin while breastfeeding? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-30-2012, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi!  Does anyone know if you can take Betaine HCl and Pepsin while breastfeeding?  I have low stomach acid and my integrative physician said that in order to properly absorb fats and proteins, I need to add these supplements ASAP.  Of course, I know that if I am able to digest and absorb better, the quality of my breastmilk will be better, BUT, I wanted to make sure it was ok to take. I have a 7-month old baby girl, by the way. 

Oh, and I have tried ACV with not enough results.  The second day of the Betaine HCl and Pepsin and I felt an immediate difference.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 04-04-2012, 11:35 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

This might help instead  http://heal-thyself.ning.com/notes/14_Steps_for_Healthy_Guts  as I would take no drugs while BFing, probably none period unless extremely necessary.  Your breastmilk will always be better than formula, no matter how few nutrients your body is absorbing.

#3 of 5 Old 04-05-2012, 12:11 AM

Yes, it is OK to take these while breastfeeding.

But if you prefer to avoid supplements Dr Campbell of the GAPS diet also recommends having a bit of cabbage juice or sauerkraut and/or its juice before a meal.

She also says that having a cup of homemade meat stock with your meal will also increase the stomach acidity.

I'd give them a try before going for the supplements. They do work fine for me.

#4 of 5 Old 04-06-2012, 01:24 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Maybe a combo of the ACV and bone broth, along with some other changes such as those mentioned in the link might help?

#5 of 5 Old 04-06-2012, 10:26 PM

It is fine to take those while pregnant and breastfeeding. I think if you've tried ACV, kraut, etc., and you still feel like you're not digesting optimally, you may benefit from the HCl + pepsin. I have taken HCl + pepsin supplements during pregnancy & nursing with good results. Your body is already producing these substances, just not in the optimal amounts.

Other ways to support your body's natural production of stomach acid are avoiding all types of sugar & excess starch, and avoiding foods you are sensitive to. Going on GAPS is may be a good idea as a PP mentioned, because if you have low stomach acid, chances are you also have gut issues that GAPS can help you with, and it is said that broth normalizes HCl production in addition to helping heal the gut.

I have found that food combining helps mitigate the symptoms of low stomach acid by reducing the burden of too many types of food on digestion. The food combining recommendations that I think are best are from Dr. George Goodheart: http://www.drkaslow.com/html/food_combining.html

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page