Any suggestions for congestive heart failure? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-09-2012, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am going to be staying with my 93 year old grandmother who has CHF.  I want to really help her nutritionally, but I'm not sure where to start. Any ideas? It's so sad to see the kind of junk they feed her in the hospital/nursing home. Sadly we will only be staying with her a few weeks (we live states away) so I really need high, high healing foods for that period of time. Any advice would be great. 

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 04-14-2012, 06:34 AM

Mama I am no expert on this but I couldn't read this and not reply.  Sorry for your Grandmother's situation, but it is such a blessing for both of you that you get to spend this time with her.

I would make lots of bone broth from organic/pastured if possible chicken bones, maybe chicken soup with lots of veggies.  Or just have her sip the broth.  (I prefer to roast the meat and remove it and then make broth from the bones for better flavor)  I've been adding rice to mine sometimes - but I cook the rice in coconut milk first for flavor/nutrition - my girls love it.

Whole raw milk - any chance you can get some there?

Organic Greens - lots.  Salads, smoothies (with coconut milk), etc

Fermented food - would she eat any?  My grandparents always love saurkraut - Bubbies is pretty good.  Yogurt, kefir?

Good luck to you mama - I view the above food as the basics of healing, nourishing foods and they are the kind of thing I reach for when any of us are ill or feeling run down.  I don't know if it will help specifically to her problem, but it sounds like it would be a big improvement from what she is getting.  Enjoy your visit  ((hugs))

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#3 of 4 Old 04-14-2012, 06:34 PM

I don't know about healing this specific problem with food either, but I just wanted to support you in your love for her.  Maybe think about the healthful foods that she served to you when you were growing up, and make some of those for her.

If I had the opportunity to make my grandmother a meal (she's gone now), I think I would make her green salad with oil and apple cider vinegar like she used to make for our family.  Fresh clean veggies always taste nice if you're living on institutional food.  She and my grandfather used to barbeque salmon for us, and it was so delicious.  I think I would serve that too, maybe with some baked potatoes with real butter.  My grandparents had an apricot tree in their yard that produced the sweetest, orangest (almost deep red) fruit.  They would make cobblers for dessert that were really yummy.  I wish I could make that too. 

Best wishes.  I hope your visit is wonderful. 

Emma Bryan Fuller likes this.
#4 of 4 Old 04-15-2012, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

OP, I hope your visit with your grandmother is going/went well. I have thought about this a lot myself. My grandmother is ill & I just moved closer to her & my grandfather. She definitely doesn't make the food she used to. She struggles so much with medication & her health & I've tried talking about nutrition with her but to no avail. We try to visit once a month & I bring a soup dish along. It lasts them a few days & they love it. I really wish I could do this more often for them but they're resistant to my "taking care of" them. They're fiercely independent, as they should be! I just wish they'd eat better food so they could enjoy their health to the extent that they can.

Best wishes to you.

Mama to my little busy bee. 

Tags
Traditional Foods

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page