Juicing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-06-2012, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone here is doing the juicing? I'm thinking of starting GAPS diet, but I'm a bit apprehensive of the juicing part. I'm sure it is really healthy and good for you, however I'm not sure if it's necessary. It seems like it will be very expensive especially for organic veggies. I don't know if I could get past throwing away parts of the expensive organic produce. I also know that traditional cultures certainly didn't juice. I know, I know, our food is more depleted of nutrients now, but still. What do you think about all this?

#2 of 6 Old 05-06-2012, 06:18 PM

I don't follow TF, per se. However, I do juice. I just wanted to comment that you don't have to throw the pulp away.  I freeze it so that I can use it for other things in the kitchen. For instance, I put it in soups, drop it into smoothies, use it to make stocks, etc.

Also, if you do decide to juice, I recommend a slow, masticating juicer so that you get a higher quality juice and are able juice more greens. The exception, of course, is if you intend to mostly juice fruits. Centrifugal juicers are fine for that, although there tends to be more oxidation of the juice due to the high speed.

Hope that helps.

Lytorre, wife to one wonderful man. Mommy to two naturally-birthed, rough-and-tumble little men.

#3 of 6 Old 05-08-2012, 05:05 AM

When I do fruit juice, most of the times I used Centrifugal juicers, otherwise I prefer masticating juicer...

side effects of tribulus

#4 of 6 Old 05-08-2012, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Susan, welcome to MDC.  Not sure your spam link is welcome.  :)  Can I recommend you remove your complete street address from your profile?  Not very safe...

Bring back the old MDC
#5 of 6 Old 05-09-2012, 08:35 PM

We did buy a juicer when on GAPS but looking back, it wasn't necessary. It made for a nice treat but didn't affect healing one way or the other, for us.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#6 of 6 Old 05-10-2012, 08:42 AM

The healing power of juice will depend on the person. However, there is a juice option for everyone. For those who have a higher need for carbohydrates, juice can be incredibly powerful and healing! For those who have a high need for protein and fat (they are on the other end of the spectrum from those who need a lot of carbs), then juicing very low-carb veggies like celery, spinach, asparagus, and cauliflower is more appropriate.

You can also juice raw organ meats. I've found this to be a very easy way to get liver in my body, since I'm not a fan. I juice a bunch of veggies and fruit and then juice the liver with carrot or lettuce and I drink the liver drink fast and use the veggie/fruit juice as a chaser. This is an extremely powerful practice for me. And is more appropriate for those who have a higher need for protein and fat. 

I would recommend that before you buy a juicer try consuming it from a juice bar or something. See how you feel. That is the most important practice in striving toward health. Dogma is useless. Observe your body, respect it's messages, and use your instinct. 

I do find that juice is so powerful for me and gives me a wonderfully tingly sensation afterward. I juice regularly. Juice is basically a multi-vitamin/mineral. It is a concentrated form of all the nutrients in the contents. Yes, it may seem pricey but it is cheaper than a high-quality multi-vitamin. And if someone is sick, it is very healing.....as long as you use the ingredients that are most beneficial for that person.

"Become Independently Healthy" www.bodywisefoodsmart.com

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page