Kombucha--how long at room temp? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-09-2012, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm brewing my first batch of Kombucha (I usually just buy the GT brand and call it a day). Anyhow, today is day 8 of brewing. It's just starting to look like a baby is trying to form so I was going to wait a couple of more days before messing with it. I've heard that some people brew as short as 6 days and have a full-blown baby form. No way that's happening over this way, which I assume has to be due to the lower temp that I have going on (my home is between 70 and 72 degrees inside).

Anyhow, how long do YOU typically brew your kombucha at room temp before you see a baby?

Lytorre, wife to one wonderful man. Mommy to two naturally-birthed, rough-and-tumble little men.

#2 of 7 Old 05-09-2012, 08:33 PM

I do 10 days but often, with busy life, it goes 2 weeks.  I have some pretty big scobies. However, I've heard that big scoby doesn't equal faster ferment, btw.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#3 of 7 Old 05-09-2012, 09:02 PM

The size/thickness of your SCOBY does not reflect it's efficacy.  I always taste a spoonful to see if it's done since it varies widely based on room temperatures.  My brews usually take a month during the cold winter months but can go as fast as a week on the summer.

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#4 of 7 Old 05-12-2012, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

I checked my brew today (Day 11) and decided to go ahead bottle it. It's still pretty sweet, but not overbearingly so. Plus, I wanted to do a secondary fermentation on half of it. My baby SCOBY is about 1/4 inch thick and easily separated from the mother so I now officially have to two of them. Woohoo! I'm so proud. :)

I plan to start a new batch tomorrow with green tea.

Thanks for the replies. :)

Lytorre, wife to one wonderful man. Mommy to two naturally-birthed, rough-and-tumble little men.

#5 of 7 Old 05-26-2012, 11:26 AM

14 days on average, one month easy in winter when my house is 60 degrees (or less), and 7-8 days when the summer is in full bore.

i don't go by scoby thickness, but on bubbles and seal.  

day 6 of mate kombucha round 2 underway.  very eager to finish it up!

joy.gifSAHM and Holistic Health Counselor with  angel.gif 1/05, DS1 blahblah.gif 3/06, angel1.gif 5/07, DD1 dust.gif 3/08, DD2 thumbsuck.gif 11/09, DD3 energy.gif 4/11, and DS2 babyf.gif 2/13.  expecting a surprise stork-suprise.gif 8/14!
#6 of 7 Old 06-01-2012, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Also, it took my scoby a while to "warm up" to its new environs. I'm in about batch 6 right now & it's working faster (the warmer weather is helping, too). My first batch took about 14 days or so (& even then it was too sweet) & now it's ready after about 8 or 9 days.

Mama to my little busy bee. 

#7 of 7 Old 06-21-2012, 09:24 PM

How'd it taste? Did you flavor it in the second ferment?

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page