Soaking split lentils - any use? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-17-2012, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello, in Indian cooking, we use various kinds of split lentils a lot. Most often, without the skin of the lentil. So, it can never be sprouted. Now, I had read a long time ago that soaking destroys the gas-forming chemicals in the lentils. So I have been trying to soak the lentils before use. But if it could never come alive, would soaking still be useful?

CDing, BFing, co-sleeping, combination of BWing and stroller-using mama to DD, 05/2010. Pursuing a back to nature lifestyle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2012, 08:24 AM

I'm not sure what you mean about coming alive.  I never soak lentils or black eyed peas.  I don't find that they cause much gas and they cook so quickly.  I also think you lose some of their creaminess but tossing the soaking liquid.  I do cold soak most other beans overnight and change the soaking liquid.  I also hot soak chickpeas because I find they take forever to cook otherwise. 

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
Old 07-14-2012, 09:03 PM

Coming alive = growing.  Split lentils will not grow.  Whole legumes will.  Soaking results in chemical changes that occur because the seed is sprouting.

I have read that split legumes and red lentils (are they split?) do not benefit from soaking, and I think, that lentils are fairly low in whatever kind of acid soaking is altering.  I still soak mine, I guess out of habit.  Soaking certainly has an effect even if the thing can't grow, it is still absorbing water, and things are dissolving into the water, etc.

I also wonder why it is said that split legumes do not benefit from soaking, but that rolled grains do -- rolled oats certainly will not grow.

Sorry I don't have more solid information for you.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:09 PM

I think you are talking about two separate processes that affect grains: soaking vs. sprouting. Along with fermenting, all three processes help to neutralize anti-nutrients in grains and legumes. Soaking usually has to be with something acidic such as dairy, whey, vinegar water etc. It makes sense that something split can't sprout - but could still benefit from being soaked - just different ways of getting the same result. Apparently by the time the grain/legume has sprouted it has undergone it's own naturally progressing chemical change that neutralizes stuff. Fermentation, such as sourdough, is also effective.

Tags
Traditional Foods
User Tag List