grinding whole grains then sifting out the bran - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-17-2012, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I read about the possible negative effects of bran on Kitchen Stewardship (I think?!) a while back and it's been on my mind but until last month I wasn't usually grinding my own grains anyway (w/ the exception of Sue Gregg blender batter recipes).  I was using mostly refined, white, AP flour.  Which makes delightful pie crusts, pancakes, etc ;)

But I got a Blendtec blender for my birthday and have played with grinding spelt berries into flour.  If I blend up berries straight from the freezer the temp of the flour seems to only get up to 90*F or so - however if I grind room temp berries it gets pretty hot - maybe 130* IIRC.  Anyway... I recalled the Rami Nigel (sp? can't recall!) research about phytic acid never really going all the way away or something even w/ soaking and thought maybe I'd get a nicer flour if I could sift out the bran.  So I used my finest wire mesh strainer but only a small amount of bran didn't go through - most did go back into the flour.  There must be very fine wire mesh strainers for this purpose but I don't know what they're called.  I also played with using a plastic mesh (veeeery fine) tea strainer which really retained a LOT of the bran in it but was very impractical due to its small capacity.

So... just wanted to get thoughts on this and wondered if anyone had any good ways of sifting out the bran.

I'm using it right now (almost all bran is back in the flour since I used my wire mesh strainer) to soak for the cold cereal recipe from The Healthy Home Economist.  here if anyone's interested :)  http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/video-healthy-cold-cereal-1/

Thanks! :)

blessed Catholic mommy to DD 10/07 and DS 2/09, little one due 8/12!

#2 of 3 Old 05-21-2012, 02:00 AM

Hi

Sorry no answers as yet....

I've just joined this forum. I've been wondering the same thing. I have Ulcerative Colitis and cannot tolerate unprepared wholemeal flours or bran and am soaking flour and also sprouting grains - I could get by, I suppose, just using refined flours, but I want my son to eat well and want us to generally eat the same things where possible. My home ground flour seems too heavy/course for most uses, so I would like to sift out the bran. At the moment I using a fine sieve, but I haven't found the perfect solution yet. I tried my coffee filter, but that was too fine.

I'd be interested to hear of any suggestions people might have.

Bev

#3 of 3 Old 05-22-2012, 01:49 PM

That "fine wire mesh" product can be found here:

http://www.bwire.com/

You don't need a whole strainer, just use the mesh and put it over a cup or a bucket of some sort and if should do just the exact job that you are looking for:

Suggestion:  Get a few different mesh sizes as you never know exactly which will work best in sorting your nutritious foods.

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page