Kitchen Aid Mixers?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-29-2012, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am looking for honest answers on Kitchen Aid mixers, I really want one, but are they worth the cost? I plan to make sourdough bread, bagels, muffins and things like that with it, the recipe for bread I have calls for over 13 cups of flour but I dont want to buy the biggest mixer they make so I was planning on doing half batches of the bread with one of the smaller mixers. Thanks for any input!

#2 of 8 Old 05-29-2012, 03:50 PM

Our kitchen aid is my dh's favorite thing. I havn't had another stand mixer to compare it to though. We have a newer one and it works fine but I have heard that they are made with plastic gears instead of metal like they use to be. So trying to buy a used one might be a good idea. My mom has had one forever with no problems. 

If you don't have a place on the counter for it to live full time you are going to get quite the work out moving it. Those suckers are heavy.

#3 of 8 Old 05-29-2012, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

In the early 70s my mom bought a Bosch. I bought one in the late 80s. At some point after that my mom gave her Bosch to my brother and got a Kitchen Aid. I don't know why. My Bosch is working just fine. It looks nothing like the current model. http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Universal-Plus-Kitchen-Machine/dp/B0016KU16G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338357624&sr=8-1

I don't like the plastic used in the Bosch. I've considered getting a Kitchen Aid, but since I haven't used my Bosch in over a year I don't see the point.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but sometimes information out of left field can be useful as well.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#4 of 8 Old 05-30-2012, 03:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
We love our kitchen aid mixer. I have used it for bread, bagels, muffins and cakes. The biggest mix it can cope with is 7 cups of flour and it manages that fine. If it was a really stiff dough I'd probably want a slightly smaller mix.

And I agree with the PP, it really needs a permanent place on the bench, it's way to heavy to put away and take out if you're using it frequently. Good thing they're so pretty :-) ours is "boysenberry".

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#5 of 8 Old 05-30-2012, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I have one of the larger KA stand mixers and I'm really happy with it. It's great to leave it working away while I move onto another task for baking or cooking - it's like having another set of hands in the kitchen. 

I bought the bigger bowl lift version, rather than tilt head, because I read reviews that the tilt head version had plastic gears that were more prone to breaking down than the bowl lift style, which still has the metal gears. I found it at Costco, at a lower price than the list price of the tilt head, so I also get the benefit of the Costco warranty. 

And, yeah, even though I don't have a lot of countertop space, I made room to give it a permanent home. It is too heavy to haul out and put away every time I use it. 

#6 of 8 Old 05-30-2012, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My husband bought me a kitchen aid mixer because he said it would pay for itself by simply not breaking for a few years. I was replacing my mixer about every 6 months before that because it broke, and going through the super cheap mixers even quicker than that.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#7 of 8 Old 05-30-2012, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies! I just purchased one online so now I just have to wait for shipping. I really really hope its worth it. Thank you all again for your input!
#8 of 8 Old 05-30-2012, 03:18 PM

Good luck! Just wanted to add that I really like mine and use it a lot! 

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page