Where can I buy quality unpasteurized milk in NYC? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-07-2012, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone, I need to get me some unpasteurized milk on a regular basis! I am from Bulgaria where that is what my family buys from a small farmer that they have tested who has a continuously good supply. We then make yogurt, cheese and kefir from it.

I know it has to be around here too because there are a lot of small farms in the state as well as in NJ and in PA and I am sure plenty of people want to have it as well.

So thankful for your ideas!

waterbirth.jpg bf.jpg DD 5/19/2011 dust.gifcd.gif delayedvax.gif familybed1.gifgoorganic.jpg

#2 of 6 Old 06-25-2012, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

Just thought I'd bump your post up for attention. Hopefully someone will respond with some helpful info. :)

#3 of 6 Old 07-01-2012, 08:16 AM

You're probably more likely to get a response if you post this in the New York section of "Find Your Tribe". Good luck!

#4 of 6 Old 07-02-2012, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you guys, I have had luck through good old googling.

I signed up to be a member at the online co-op Udder Milk and  after being verified am already on my third home delivery of raw milk.

I am so far very satisfied with it and have made the kefir and yogurt I was hoping to make. I am a little distressed by the huge difference in quality between this milk and store-bought whole organic. I realize "organic" might really not be of the high quality it is supposed to be (yet has the price that goes with organic).

It is amazing to have that goodness from the farm in the urban jungle.

Thanks again!

waterbirth.jpg bf.jpg DD 5/19/2011 dust.gifcd.gif delayedvax.gif familybed1.gifgoorganic.jpg

#5 of 6 Old 07-10-2012, 01:27 PM

I have used udder milk.  I think the quality is AMAZING.  My doctor (who is pro-raw milk) told me to stop buying from them until I am able to visit the farm and confirm the standards of safety.  So I have stopped and I haven't been able to schedule a tour of the farm or understand their safety procedures.  But I miss their dairy!  What are your thoughts?

#6 of 6 Old 07-11-2012, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

I would question your doctor. What is her source of information? And if you were to visit the farm, how would you be able to "see" anything unsafe unless you are an expert? To test for bacteria in milk you would need some equipment. You can't tell just by looking at the cow.

I am really happy with them so far. I have been using the milk to make yogurt and kefir and it goes by quickly, I get 2 gallons every week.

And I have to tell you that the only thing I am not happy about is that they only deliver once a week.

I have been also ordering their meat  (chicken, ground beef), their eggs (every week, I am hooked), their cream (for making ice-cream) and I can't wait to try more. I can't wait to try their goat milk.

Yes, everything is more $ than Key Food or Fairway. But they deliver to my door! And they are sourcing from farms 2 hours away from NYC. That is amazing. Why buy eggs from who knows where? And after trying their dairy, I have realized that I have been throwing money for organic milk for years without really getting the "wholeness" of the milk.

Also, Udder MIlk are not producers, they only source it and bring it to the customers. They work with many local farmers.

I only get their 6% milk. It is great. Fat from milk is good. At the store, they have nothing remotely close to Udder's.

Our pediatrician gets raw milk also. She gets it from some place called "Paradise Farms" in Nassau, Long Island.

Sometimes people tend to listen to anything doctors say, whether it is within their area of expertise or not. The only  way to really tell is to look at the history of raw milk in NYC and if there has been any poisonings ever.

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page