Bread from CSA with thick and hard crust. Need ideas on prep! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-19-2012, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My CSA also has a bakery and I get a loaf of bread every week.  It is great bread but you can barely get through the crust of it, and two family members have lost fillings from it (bad dental heath a different post ;) ).  Anyway - I don't want to throw out the bread, anyone have ideas on what I can make with it so we use it but aren't spending $$$ on dental bills!

Thanks in advance! 

#2 of 3 Old 06-19-2012, 04:21 PM

I would slice it up and make french toast, bread pudding or an egg strata.  The moisture in any of those dishes should soften the bread.

Another option would be a panzanella salad.  The vinaigrette and the juices from the fresh tomatoes should also soften the bread a little.

If none of those are appealing, you could slice it and let it dry out more, then whirl it up in a food processor to make your own bread crumbs to use as a filler or breading in all sorts of dishes (and you could freeze them if you wouldn't need them right away).

Good luck!  Fresh bread sounds like a lovely addition to a CSA!

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#3 of 3 Old 06-25-2012, 10:51 AM

French toast or bread pudding are good options.

I'd also try it as the substrate for a welsh rabbit -- good cheese melted with eggs and beer or tomato juice.    Plate it in the kitchen and let it sit a bit and soak up the liquid.

Slices as crouton on top of soup -- slice it, top with cheese and broil until the cheese bubbles, then float it on soup.

Breadcrumbs -- there are lots and lots of traditional dishes that combine breadcrumbs with vegetables -- toppings for gratins, or sauteed greens where you throw breadcrumbs int just before serving.   

As a sop in soup.  We do soup-and-bread dinners fairly often, with thick chunks of homemade sourdough that we dip in teh soup.

Oooh..... mussels.    Steam the mussels in garlic, white wine and herbs, and serve with slices of bread.  Soak the bread in the pan broth until it's chewable.

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page