Does anyone else do raw egg yolk or raw egg for their kids? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-28-2012, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If so, how many and how often?

I do 2 yolks in one 8oz glass of raw jersey milk per child per day. I'm reading conflicting opinions on binders in raw egg inhibiting absorption of B12 and other b vitamins. What are your thoughts? Do you think consuming them can make one deficient or ill in the long term?

I decided to do raw after my toddler refused to eat eggs at all. But she will happily drink her light orange milk.

whistling.gif

Me:  run.gif  DH:  hammer.gif 

Our babies:  reading.gif  blahblah.gif energy.gif moon.gif and a  stork-suprise.gif  coming in July

#2 of 7 Old 06-28-2012, 11:22 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

We eat raw eggs in smoothies, but no set schedual/amount or anything.  The milk thing is a good idea :)  I think they are very healthy.  I am not sure about the b-vitamins question, but I do know Mercola only advises eating eggs 5 days a week, not 7.  Did what you read say that its binding ability stays in your body for awhile, or is that just at the time the yolk is consumed?  So say you drank the orange milk at lunch, and had a steak at dinner (full of B-12), would it affect it at that later time?

Also wondering- what do you do with your egg whites that you separate out?  I cant throw them away, such a waste.  I will feed them back to my chickens (as well as the shells), but wondering if there is something else you can do with them as well?

Also wondering, why do people only eat the yolk and not the white along with the yolk?  I mean, why would an egg be as it is if we were not meant to eat the white and only the yolk?  I remember an article awhile back on mercola.com that was about whether or not the white should be consumed.  His conclusion was yes it is ok to eat the white as long as the yolk is eaten with it.  Dont remember much else about it, but I just never understood why people thought the white was bad.   Just curious!  :)

#3 of 7 Old 06-29-2012, 12:59 AM

I believe the egg white is not consumed due to the fact that it contains lectins  They are basically a sticky protein that can "stick" to your intestine and potentially cause leaky gut and inflammation in small babies who have not fully developed mature gut flora, and/or people with gut issues.

I give my toddler a raw pastured egg yolk or two in raw milk daily.  Sometimes I add molasses and vanilla - it's a WAPF recipe.  Just google "raw milk tonic". 

#4 of 7 Old 06-29-2012, 05:31 AM

Yes, we do raw egg yolks in smoothies (maybe once a week). I agree with the PP that said the negative stuff is associated with raw egg whites, so I think you're good to go with yolks.

#5 of 7 Old 06-29-2012, 10:51 PM

I didnt do the raw yolk for baby fod, tho I do make a point to serve them quite runny for breakfast. I mean tto make mayo and caesar dressing all the time, but I want an egg that is so fresh its stillwarm for that! And we dont have our own hens, so tho our eggs are pastured, I have no way of knowing how long they are in the little fridge before we buy thm from the farmer, kwim? If we had hennies then I'd do raw eggs, though!

Happy and in love with my family!
#6 of 7 Old 07-03-2012, 08:24 PM

How do you all deal with the manure question?  I've wanted to use raw eggs in various recipes for my kids, but I'm always a little worried about our hens' poop.  I know that they aren't the same as factory farm hens with respect to dangerous bacteria, but poop is still poop.  It seems like a bad idea to consume it.  Probably about one out of five eggs have a considerable amount of manure on them.  I wash them but assume that the bacteria are still there.....

#7 of 7 Old 07-06-2012, 11:07 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dovey View Post

How do you all deal with the manure question?  I've wanted to use raw eggs in various recipes for my kids, but I'm always a little worried about our hens' poop.  I know that they aren't the same as factory farm hens with respect to dangerous bacteria, but poop is still poop.  It seems like a bad idea to consume it.  Probably about one out of five eggs have a considerable amount of manure on them.  I wash them but assume that the bacteria are still there.....

I wash them off.   we dont use disinfectants, but I guess if I was really worried I would use a disinfecting cleaner to clean the shell before I cracked it so as not to expose the raw egg to the poop/germs

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page