Raw milk vs. homemade formula - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-03-2012, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD hasn't been gaining weight (in fact has lost) and we think it is mostly due to her tongue tie, which we are trying to get fixed.  In the meanwhile I've started her on an SNS, which she likes.  She gets a bit of BM but I'd say it's minimal.  I've been putting raw milk in the SNS, but I'm wondering if she needs the homemade formula?  She gets CLO, and has solids- egg yolk, a bit of meat, veggies with butter, olive or coconut oil etc.  Is the formula really necessary considering she gets nutrients from other foods now?  She is 9.5 months. 

We did have her nutrient levels checked last weeks and they were all good, even her iron (thanks, TF!)  that was before we started the SNS.

Married to the love of my life and SAH Mama to my little sweet pea (Sept 2011) and darling baby boy (Dec 2012) novaxnocirc.gifh20homebirth.gifhomeschool.gif bfinfant.gifslinggirl.gifcd.gif

#2 of 9 Old 07-04-2012, 01:03 PM

I found that adding home made coconut milk (recipe from Tropical Traditions) to raw milk ( and sometimes raw cream) helped put some weight on my DD.

treehugger.gifgoorganic.jpggd.giftriadadopt.jpgfamilybed1.gif

#3 of 9 Old 07-06-2012, 10:33 AM

And coconut milk has lauric acid! (only breast milk is the other natural source!)

#4 of 9 Old 07-06-2012, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions, I will be adding raw cream after we pick up today, and the coconut milk too!

Married to the love of my life and SAH Mama to my little sweet pea (Sept 2011) and darling baby boy (Dec 2012) novaxnocirc.gifh20homebirth.gifhomeschool.gif bfinfant.gifslinggirl.gifcd.gif

#5 of 9 Old 07-08-2012, 12:32 AM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

Maybe you could add a bit of raw milk kefir as well?  And sorry, what does SNS stand for?  Lol

#6 of 9 Old 07-08-2012, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

SNS = supplemental nursing system, it is a bottle with a little tube that attachs to the nipple so baby gets supplement as well as mommy's milk :)  I have never made kefir, I'd like too, but she eats homemade yogurt too....

#7 of 9 Old 07-09-2012, 11:44 AM

Please please please do NOT give raw milk to an infant or child. Raw milk is 150 times more likely to have dangerous bacteria than pasteurized milk, and there are no credible scientific studies showing raw milk products have ANY benefit.

In fact, children who are given raw milk are far more likely to become seriously ill than adults. Raw milk can contain E. coli, Campylobacter, Salmonella, Listeria, and Brucella. There have been five raw milk outbreaks just this year alone, and as a result, six children have developed kidney failure.

Here's what a mother in Oregon said after she gave her two-year-old raw milk in January:

A mother told OPB News in Oregon her two-year-old has been hospitalized for 28 days after drinking raw milk connected to an E. coli outbreak, and she recommends not giving children milk that hasn’t been pasteurized.

"She had strokes early on and pressure in the brain and most recently had a surgery to remove some dead bowel and colon. And now has a ostomy, that will get reversed in six to eight weeks.”

http://blog.usfoodsafety.com/2012/05/09/live-free-or-die-but-keep-raw-milk-away-from-kids/

Is that what you want for your child?

#8 of 9 Old 07-09-2012, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

The milk I used to buy from the grocery store would literally rot in the fridge one week after purchase (and two weeks before the 'best before' date) and smell so vile no one would go near it... so I'll continue to give my child milk from a trusted local farmer.  Just as my healthy husband grew up on.  thumb.gif

#9 of 9 Old 07-09-2012, 11:57 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dove84 View Post

The milk I used to buy from the grocery store would literally rot in the fridge one week after purchase (and two weeks before the 'best before' date) and smell so vile no one would go near it... so I'll continue to give my child milk from a trusted local farmer.  Just as my healthy husband grew up on.  thumb.gif

Good for you Dove, I hate it when some random person gets on MDC, creates an account just to cause problems or to make a lame attempt at confusing or convincing someone to do something mainstream that they believe against.   When my raw milk goes sour (rarely happens because we drink it so quickly), we've drank it well after its been quite sour, never gotten sick.  You're right, the pasturized milk is disgusting and I would never drink it as it started to get bad.

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page