Success losing weight at 50-100 carbs a day on paleo/primal diet? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-08-2012, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yes low carb is very bad for your thyroid! And so are grains, so get lots of carbs from natural sources like sweet pot, quiona, etc.

I love the thyroid madness site!

xoxoxox

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2014, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I just wanted to say be careful with all the thyroid supplements if you have had a previous thyroid disease! Sometimes after having an autoimmune thyroid disease the thyroid will be low functioning (hypothyroid) and you might be put on thyroid medication. Just make sure you talk to your doctor about all the thyroid supplements including selenium and kelp/seaweed. There is some correlation between high dietary intake of iodine and getting Hashimoto's. I had my thyroid disease after spending a year abroad and eating seaweed pretty much daily.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
I eat about 50-100g carbs per day, have for about 10 yrs, eating a paleo-esque high-fat diet. I wasn't overweight but I noticed that my body changed, it is now a lot easier to build muscle and I feel less sluggish and moody than when eating a lot of carbs (for me it was fruit). Also the fat I do carry is of "better quality" (smoother?) and better proportioned than any fat I had prior. Also much better skin since the change.

If I eat a lot of carbs now (such as traveling, sometimes you don't have a choice) I gain weight right away and as soon as I get back to my low-carb diet it drops off with a little exercise without having to eat less or be hungry.

One of the benefits that I've heard about low-carb is that the metabolic shift from carb-burning to fat-burning is that you get great results without being hungry. Once "induction flu" is over you can live this way indefinitely with excellent weight and health. That's been true for us, anyway.

User Tag List