Mothering Forum banner

Making my own yogurt..... how bad is it to use organic pasturised milk vs. raw

891 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  rootzdawta 
#1 ·
My raw milk source just raised the price from $5.50 per 1/2 gallon to $7.25. My DH freaked out and said I can't buy it anymore. I think I can convince him to get it for the girls to drink, but I don't think I can get him to be ok with buying it for making yogurt. (we are on the gaps diet and can only have yogurt I make that is fermented for 24 hours)..... so buying some premade is not an option either.

So, is it terrible to use organic pasteurized milk instead of Raw to make my yogurt?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I wouldn't say it's terrible because you're still getting the cultured food into you but I can definitely tell the difference when I make yogurt from raw milk versus when I make it from pasteurized milk. I think you do miss out on some of the vitamins and things that have been killed off in the pasteurization process though. But what can you do? I don't think it's a waste of time to make the yogurt from pasteurized milk. Maybe you could find un-homogenized organic milk (I hear that's better).

#3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdawta View Post

I wouldn't say it's terrible because you're still getting the cultured food into you but I can definitely tell the difference when I make yogurt from raw milk versus when I make it from pasteurized milk. I think you do miss out on some of the vitamins and things that have been killed off in the pasteurization process though. But what can you do? I don't think it's a waste of time to make the yogurt from pasteurized milk. Maybe you could find un-homogenized organic milk (I hear that's better).
I've been using raw milk for yogurt too, But made it numerous times w/o heating above the 107 degrees. I strained and I tried thickeners and it lasted maybe 3 days tops. When I bring it up to boiling and make it the yogurt is awesome. The lady I get the raw milk from says its still better b/c the commercial pasteurization process is different. I've given up on making the raw yogurt b/c it never turns out. Sorry I don't want to hijack the thread but wanted to ask this question.

#4 ·
I heard Sally Fallon speaking on the Underground Wellness show and she said the same thing: heating to 170 is a very different process than commercial pasteurization and she seemed to think it was fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.