Is there such a thing as "OK" cereal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-03-2012, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I stopped buying cereal over a year ago when we switched to more TF eating. My DH is pretty much onboard with it, but recently grew so tired of eggs for breakfast to the point he get aversion to eggs and oesn't want to eat them. He started sneaking cereal to the house :(

So, to my question, is there such a thing as ok cereal? any which are not made with extruded grains? I used to make homemade granola, but supposingly it's not good either, because it's not cooked, plus he is not a big fan of it. Help!

#2 of 8 Old 08-03-2012, 08:54 PM

I buy Bobs Red mill Muesli. Add some berries,ground flax seeds and some yogurt.  I love it!

My son eats eggs almost everyday and he also developed an aversion for a few months.  Now he is back eating eggs again.

#3 of 8 Old 08-04-2012, 02:58 PM

What about soaked oatmeal? I mix in a big dollop of unsalted butter, coconut oil, some maple syrup and blueberries. So creamy and delicious and It satisfies my kids' cravings for cereal.

#4 of 8 Old 08-05-2012, 04:37 PM

I buy the bags of organic sprouted grain granola. They are pricey at about $10 per bag. However, I add in dried coconut, dried superberry mix (mulberry, goji etc) and some nuts so I about double the bulk of it. My daughter likes it in her yogurt. We have also made homemade granola bars with it by mixing some peanut butter with a bit of maple syrup and pressing into bars and chilling. Since it's just the two of us, it lasts a while.

#5 of 8 Old 08-05-2012, 05:48 PM

We get Cascadian Farms multi-grain squares.  DH loves them and it is a good dry snack for DD.  I'm thinking back to my childhood and all the cereals we ate (corn pops; wheaties' etc.).  It wasn't Coco Puffs but it still contained a lot of sugar.  We really don't do cereal per se...we mostly eat bagels and toast for breakfast (with some fruit), but we do like the multi-grain squares in a pinch.

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#6 of 8 Old 08-05-2012, 08:15 PM

I stopped buying it too for awhile and served more nutritious breakfasts like smoothies, eggs, sourdough waffles with lots of egg, etc.  But then one of my kiddos would just not want breakfast and we would get into power struggles over whether she was going to eat the thing that I made or not.  I would get way too invested in having my kids have proper nutrition, and then spend too much time preparing the food, so if someone decided they didn't like it, my blood would boil.  Eventually, I decided that not eating and also having a big frustrating fight first thing in the morning was much less healthy than her eating cereal for breakfast.  So now I put the box of Joe's Os on the table along with whatever else I make, she eats, the other kids eat, I eat, and everyone is happy if not completely nutritionally optimal.

So I guess my opinion is, don't worry the cereal, if that's what he wants to eat.  It's not like he's having Mountain Dew and a Snickers bar for breakfast.  Maybe it's not so good if he feels like he has to sneak food into the house.     

#7 of 8 Old 08-05-2012, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

What's wrong with cooked cereals? That's what we have at my house: oatmeal, cream of wheat. I like to have mine with mashed banana! You can also cook apple pieces and a little cinnamon right in the pot.

#8 of 8 Old 08-22-2012, 09:12 AM

We buy cereal as a treat once or twice a month.  I just try to get a very simple, short ingredient list cereal.  I stopped making our granola because we were all having upset GI tracts with it.  We do eggs, waffles, quiche, pancakes (I make a double or triple batch and save some in the frig for later in the week), and our new fav is crock pot oatmeal with Bob's steel cut oats. I start it the night before and it cooks overnight.  Apple, cinn, flax seed, walnuts, brown sugar/maple/honey, oats, water, almond milk.  Yummy!  As long as I use the slow cooker and it is soaking all night, it is okay on our digestion.

Trying to raise a healthy, happy family in NC. DD: 5/09, and due with #2: 12/11

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page