Please help me with making dilly beans - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-07-2012, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello everyone, I am wanting to make dilly beans for the first time.  I have the book Wild Fermentation but its recipe seems rather complicated and uses white distilled vinegar.  I found this one http://www.valleytable.com/recipes_main.php?recipe=Side+Dishes%2FLacto-fermented+dilly+beans, but it says to cook the beans a little first.  Is this necessary?  Please share your favorite recipe:)

Just love.

#2 of 6 Old 08-07-2012, 07:02 PM

I made awesome dilly beans last month, and am about to do some more.

Pack clean beans, a couple dill flowers, and a few cloves of garlic in clean, wide mouth, quart canning jars.  Pack them tightly so they won't float to the top.

Dissolve 1.5T of salt in 2c of water and pour it over the beans.  Add enough water to cover the beans completely.

Cap the jar tightly (if you don't want it to bubble all over the counter) and cover with a towel.

I open them every day to release built up gas and make sure they are still covered by liquid.  I taste them after 3 days and when they taste good (kind of fizzy and not too salty) I transfer them to the fridge and eat them.

#3 of 6 Old 08-07-2012, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Oh thank you!  The recipes I have found all call for several more spices, was that enough do you think?  Also, in Wild Fermentation it says not to cover it, but to only cover with a cloth to allow yeasts and good bacteria access to the jar?  What do you think?  I've done a little fermenting with the lid off and it turned out, but am a little afraid to waste my beans if it did not turn out because I left the cap on?

Thanks so much!

Just love.

#4 of 6 Old 08-07-2012, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

One more thing, how was the texture of your beans?  If you never cooked them in any way, were they really hard, or softer with a pleasant crunch?

Just love.

#5 of 6 Old 08-08-2012, 05:53 AM

I think the flavor is awesome with only dill, garlic, and salt.

My beans were totally fermented, certainly not ruined by capping.  But you can totally leave them open, there's no reason not to.

They were also crunchy, but did not taste like a raw beans.  I hope that helps.

#6 of 6 Old 08-08-2012, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, I did cover them and they are already bubbly inside and gas is built up when I open them.  I did do just the garlic and dill but I had a bunch of ginger root so I added a little of that too, hope it tastes ok :)   Guess I will see and can change it a little for next time if I need to, or not!  Thanks so much for your help!

Just love.

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page