Kombucha - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-07-2012, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello! I'm just starting out making my own kombucha after getting hooked on the synergy drinks.
I scored a free scoby at our local cafe and was able to grow a baby for my tea. Today is the 6th day and I've been told conflicting advice, make my tea and bottle it now and wait at least another week.
I'll admit I'm also a bit scared of doing it wrong and getting sick ect.

Here are photos I took today - do these look Ok?

Help calm my fears?! I've never done anything like this before and to be honest am slightly grossed out hahaha but I salivate just looking at my jar of kombucha and am dealing with some insane cravings for the stuff since I first tried it a few months ago. I'm all drink-it-with-a-straw and don't look eat.gif

familybed1.gif   novaxnocirc.gif   treehugger.gif   bfolderchild.gif   homebirth.jpg  signcirc1.gifcd.gif    angel.gif one Angel Son

pos.gif Due in DEC 2014!

kid.gif Boy born 2010

#2 of 3 Old 08-07-2012, 07:13 PM

Looks good to me.  Fermentation time depends on temperature, sugar level, health of the scoby, and your personal tastes.  I just stick a straw in there to take a little taste.  If it still tastes like sweet tea, I let it go longer.  If it's getting nice and fizzy and a bit tart, it's ready.  My first batch this time around (revivivng a scoby that had been refrigerated) took just over 2 weeks.  Sometimes it's a lot faster.  I don't think you can make yourself sick -- anything horrible will smell, taste, and/or look bad).

#3 of 3 Old 08-07-2012, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I kind of figured it would make me feel ill if it was "bad" so your advice helps a lot joy.gif

I tried it yesterday and it was still sweet, I'm definitely looking for more of a punch to it.

familybed1.gif   novaxnocirc.gif   treehugger.gif   bfolderchild.gif   homebirth.jpg  signcirc1.gifcd.gif    angel.gif one Angel Son

pos.gif Due in DEC 2014!

kid.gif Boy born 2010

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page