How to choose a raw dairy farmer - Ann Arbor, MI - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-26-2012, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm new to this but I've found 3 farms in the area that allow you to "lease" a cow in order to get raw milk. Should I visit each farm? Does it matter how long they have been in business? The one I'm looking at has only been in business for 8 years and it's a person who started farming cows for raw dairy because they themselves starting drinking raw dairy and it helped them with various health issues. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing, seems like I should find someone who has done it all their lives or something? Also, their website is terribly written, confusing sentences with poor grammar, which gives me a bad impression. I don't know anyone else who drinks raw milk so I can't get a personal recommendation.

#2 of 4 Old 09-26-2012, 09:01 AM

i would visit.  8 years isn't bad. my dairy has been operating for 7, and they're dedicated and amazing and young and idealistic and enthusiastic and it is the BEST milk possible.  it's about trusting those who are doing the milking and monitoring the health of the animals.

many farmers don't do well on web (i might help a few out) but it doesn't mean they're bad farmers.

visiting, seeing their methods, knowing their dedication to sanitization and healthy animals are the key parts, but it's hard to tell sometimes.  so if you're able to try it (not give it to kids first, but have adults drink it and have HONEST reactions to taste, and any thing else)- i had a friend try to start off of a dairy that was't the best, and he just had a gut response that he would drink it, but not trust it for his kids.  he then moved to a certified raw milk dairy (different state) and also learned a lot and was glad he had been cautious.  he's got his own cow now.  ;)  i'd drink his milk.  

countryangels likes this.

joy.gifSAHM and Holistic Health Counselor with  angel.gif 1/05, DS1 blahblah.gif 3/06, angel1.gif 5/07, DD1 dust.gif 3/08, DD2 thumbsuck.gif 11/09, DD3 energy.gif 4/11, and DS2 babyf.gif 2/13.  expecting a surprise stork-suprise.gif 8/14!
#3 of 4 Old 09-29-2012, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseofPeace View Post

i would visit.  8 years isn't bad. my dairy has been operating for 7, and they're dedicated and amazing and young and idealistic and enthusiastic and it is the BEST milk possible.  it's about trusting those who are doing the milking and monitoring the health of the animals.

many farmers don't do well on web (i might help a few out) but it doesn't mean they're bad farmers.

visiting, seeing their methods, knowing their dedication to sanitization and healthy animals are the key parts, but it's hard to tell sometimes.  so if you're able to try it (not give it to kids first, but have adults drink it and have HONEST reactions to taste, and any thing else)- i had a friend try to start off of a dairy that was't the best, and he just had a gut response that he would drink it, but not trust it for his kids.  he then moved to a certified raw milk dairy (different state) and also learned a lot and was glad he had been cautious.  he's got his own cow now.  ;)  i'd drink his milk.  

Hi,

Do you know if there is a website, where we can find a certified raw milk dairy farm?

I am considering a move to different states, and I would like to find the pros & cons of each.

And what does it take to get certified?

Which states allow the legal sale of raw milk?

#4 of 4 Old 09-30-2012, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Here's the website: http://www.realmilk.com/where.html.

I don't know the answers to your other questions.

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page