Rehydrating Kefir Grains - What to do with milk? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-27-2012, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm rehydrating kefir grains. What do I do with the milk that isn't kefir yet, but just had the grains sit in it for 24 hours? I hate to throw it away. It smells sorta yeasty. Is it healthy to drink or put in oatmeal or something? I'm not sure what it is now. Didn't the kefir feed on something in it, so what's missing from it now?

#2 of 9 Old 09-30-2012, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)

Interesting question! We're big on not throwing out any nutritious food as well...well, I am - sorta wish the rest of my family would help a girl out. eyesroll.gif

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#3 of 9 Old 09-30-2012, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I wonder why there are no responses. Don't a lot of people on here make kefir? I've been rehydrating my kefir grains for 3 days now and thrown out the milk each night because I can't figure out what to do with it and it tastes weird. I don't know if it's safe to use in cooking, but I can't find the info anywhere.

#4 of 9 Old 09-30-2012, 04:05 PM

A quick search indicates that, although you could eat the water, it may not be advantageous. Seems the soaking is trying to release "anti-nutrients", which presumably go into the water. 

Quote:
Soaking grains degrades phytic acid, meaning that your soaking water should not contain an overly large amount of phytates.  If you’ve soaked your grains overnight in an acidic solution to help mitigate the effects of phytic acid, an antinutrient which binds up minerals preventing your body from fully absorbing them, you do not need to discard the soaking liquid or rinse your grains; however, I recommend doing so because I find that rinsing grains, beans and legumes after the soaking process improves their flavor.  Similarly, the Weston A Price Foundation, a nonprofit dedicated to nutrient-dense diets and founded on the principles of Weston A Price, recommends that if you’ve finished soaking grains, you rinse them well.

#5 of 9 Old 09-30-2012, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

A quick search indicates that, although you could eat the water, it may not be advantageous. Seems the soaking is trying to release "anti-nutrients", which presumably go into the water. 

But I'm not soaking grains, this has nothing to do with grains. They are called kefir "grains", but they aren't actually grains, it's just given that name. And it's milk that is left over, not water, so that post doesn't really have anything to do with the question.

#6 of 9 Old 09-30-2012, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, didn't mean to sound snotty, just reread my post and it sounded that way. Just trying to figure it out myself.

IdentityCrisisMama likes this.
#7 of 9 Old 09-30-2012, 04:51 PM

Oh, sorry -- I thought you were calling it milk because the water was milky. No wonder you don't want to throw that away!  I'll see what I can find...

#8 of 9 Old 09-30-2012, 05:00 PM

TF, mamas? Help a girl out...because clearly I'm no use. 

lol.gif

#9 of 9 Old 10-03-2012, 06:14 AM

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page