Anyone have experience with using natural food dyes for baking? (storebought or homemade?) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-01-2012, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone have experience with natural food coloring?  I'm planning my daughter's birthday cake and ideally would like to use a subsitute for artificial food coloring.  Does anyone have any recommendations?  I've seen products online such as India Tree.  They seem to be foodbased, and I would guess safe for child consumption (and free of the health concerns of the artificial dyes), but I know nothing about them.

Ideas?  Tips?

I also could make my own, but thought it may be fun to try the prepared ones.

Thanks,

Babygirlsmama

Babygirlsmama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 10-01-2012, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

It depends on the color you're going for but concentrated juice of certain fruits and veggies might work. Either juice them or put them through a blender and strain. Then put the juice in a pot and reduce. I've had it work with beets (pink/red), spinach (green), golden delicious apple peels (yellow), strawberries (red), blueberries (bluish purple), and pumpkin (orange, takes lots of reducing). The colors aren't on par with regular food coloring but they work ok. 

#3 of 7 Old 10-03-2012, 08:34 AM

Beet root powder works well for pink, and turmeric is good for yellow.

#4 of 7 Old 10-03-2012, 09:06 AM

I've used the india tree food dyes - the yellow is turmeric-based, the red uses beet juice, blue is red cabbage.  Yes, you can absolutely just use the real thing if you have those veg or spices around, but it's handy having them around (keep in the fridge so they keep their color better) and they work pretty well.  

Slightly less intense and more natural looking colors than the other food dyes, of course.  They also seem to mask any of the flavors of the colorings which can sometimes be an issue when you use the real foodstuffs to color your food.    

#5 of 7 Old 10-04-2012, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Update:  I just bought India Tree colors (set of three, Red, Yellow and Blue) from Whole Foods.  We will see how they do! 

Babygirlsmama
#6 of 7 Old 10-04-2012, 07:33 AM

Let me know how they work! I am also planning DS's birthday cake and would like a little color this time. redface.gif

SAHM, college student, AND expecting #2 EDD March 20 2014! belly.gif(25)  * DS (10/2010)jog.gif *

Loving life with DBF (24) flowersforyou.gif since 10/2009 heartbeat.gif

Rainbow.gif *intactlact.gif* selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif* goorganic.jpg * familybed1.gif *cd.gif

#7 of 7 Old 10-05-2012, 07:23 PM

I just made my son's pink birthday cake with the India Tree dyes - they worked beautifully. 

Last year, I made a really yucky cake with homemade natural food dyes.  The beet juice worked fine, but the whole cake had an odd sort of curryish flavor from the turmeric in the yellow part.  Needless to say, I was the only one who would eat it, although everyone loved looking at it and insisted that they really did like it. 

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page