Curious about paleo diet?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-14-2012, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My curiosity is piqued about the paleo diet.  Would someone be able to tell me a good book to read to learn more about it?  Or, maybe a website?

Am also curious to know people's experiences eating a paleo diet?  What has been great about it?  Not so great?

TIA ~~ Peace

Curious in Seattle...aka joyfulheart!

#2 of 5 Old 10-16-2012, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I know there are lots of folks here who know a lot about this so I am bumping it up for more attention. bump.gif

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 5 Old 10-16-2012, 06:17 PM

I'm just now getting into Paleo/Traditional Foods and followed a link someone posted in another thread for the Whole30 program. It's based on a book called "It Starts with Food" by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig. There is a forum on their website as well and lots of Paleo boards on Pinterest if you're on that.

#4 of 5 Old 10-20-2012, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I second It Starts With Food!  Follow them (Whole9) on Facebook and/or Twitter - they post great links all the time.  

Mark Sisson (www.marksdailyapple.com) is another great place to start.  He  has termed his promoted diet "primal," but that's essentially his brand and it's basically paleo except he's a bit more lax on dairy.  Anyway, I love his site because it is very comprehensive and he has a lot of "Definitive Guides" (like, the Definitive Guide on Fat, on Legumes, on Sugar, etc).  Wonderful place to start getting familiar with the concept of paleo.

Traditional Food is a similar diet, there's a lot of cross-over.  Rather than completely eschewing dairy and grains, TF focuses on eating real, unprocessed food that is prepared properly - so you'll see a lot of information about raw dairy and ancient grains that have been soaked and sprouted.  There is a lot of value placed on cultural wisdom surrounding food.

The basic concept of both is to go back to our roots with food, to eat the kinds of food that humans are biologically meant to consume, and to avoid modern, commercially prepared "food" that has unfortunately become the staple of our diets.

I have been paleo for just over a year now, and while it has done wonders for my health, I have some lingering issues and suspect that I still have some degree of leaky gut syndrome, or at least some kind of gut disbyosis.  Right now I'm planning on starting the GAPS diet, which is very similar to TF but focused on healing the gut.  Lots of probiotics, ferments, bone broths, egg yolks and animal fat.  

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#5 of 5 Old 10-20-2012, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

I just put It Starts with Food on hold at the library, since two of you recommended it.  Thank you.  Peace ~~

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page