Raw milk for a one year old? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-16-2012, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

We are transitioning my son to whole milk in the next couple weeks. We get our milk from our local farmer, and we (DH, me older step children drink it raw). Should we pasturize our sons. Our pediatrician looked at me like I was crazy for thinking about offering him raw milk, while our natruo thought it was the only way to go, or to atleast offer him a serving of raw milk a day. Thoughts? Suggesstions??

Me, slinggirl.gif mama to 1.5 yr old kid.gifDS, step mama to two tweens, married to a sarcastic sports nut censored.gif. We are unschooling! mdcblog5.gif http://twocoolfourschool.wordpress.com/

#2 of 7 Old 10-16-2012, 07:12 AM

We give our one-year-old raw milk shrug.gif As always with raw milk, know your source. If you're comfortable with the rest of your family drinking it, it should be fine for your toddler. And, my strategy- don't mention it to the doctor!

1love4ever and avismama24 like this.

Jo - WOHM to E 12/26/10, Wife to SAHD DH.

cd.gifslingboy.giftoddler.gifbelly.gif

#3 of 7 Old 10-19-2012, 09:23 AM

I introduced raw cow and goat milk to my daughter when she turned one, but continued to breastfeed. I personally would only do that with raw milk from a good dairy and would not give her pasteurized milk. Like HopefulJo said, make sure you know the source. My raw milk is from a Grade A dairy and they test each batch. My daughter is now 28 months old and drinks about 1 1/2 gallons of raw cow or goat milk a week on her own. She is no longer breastfeeding and I was only comfortable weaning because I knew she was getting the benefits of raw milk. 

avismama24 likes this.

Sarah - mama to the love of my life, Aurelia Josephine, b. June 11, 2010

#4 of 7 Old 10-22-2012, 01:26 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

I still breastfeed but I've been giving my son sips when he's wanted it since he was 7 months old!  My daughter was drinking raw milk full time at 16.5 months when i had to stop breastfeeding her.  I plan to bf my son for longer but he continues to get some raw milk when he drink it.  I would never drink/let my kids drink pasturized milk.  Yuck

#5 of 7 Old 10-22-2012, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

I agree, we are thinking along the same lines. We will slowly offer him milk as he wants it and only raw! Thanks for the input!biggrinbounce.gif

Me, slinggirl.gif mama to 1.5 yr old kid.gifDS, step mama to two tweens, married to a sarcastic sports nut censored.gif. We are unschooling! mdcblog5.gif http://twocoolfourschool.wordpress.com/

#6 of 7 Old 10-31-2012, 12:10 PM

Personally milk is best not used at all. When you think about it, we are the only species who drinks another mamals breast milk. That just does not seem natural to me anymore. My kids and I have switched to So Delicious Brand Coconut Milk since my 21 month old son turned 1 last January and it is much healthier for us than cow's or goats milk. It also tastes great!!!! Maybe you might want to think about giving the Coconut Milk a try.

#7 of 7 Old 11-01-2012, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

I TOTALLY see your point......the issue for us is that DS was born very premature so we are told not to offer him a plant based milk untill he is about 2 years old bc he desperately needs the phosphorus to help the calcium bind to his bones. I have researched this quite a bit and feel it isn't just some silly mainstream pedi thing ;) It is a tough decision to offer real milk or not. Thank you for your input.

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page