Anyone else not taking prenatal vitamins? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-30-2012, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What are you taking?

Here are my daily supplements: (spread throughout the day)

-Raw liver "pill" (raw liver cut into a pill sized piece)

-Mother Earth Minerals Calzyme (Minerals of Life), 1/2 dropper

-FCLO + tiny bit of skate liver oil, for a total of just over 3/4tsp, chased with raw milk mixed with fresh kefir

-(soon to be taking butter oil, i just ordered it!)

-Bioplasma cell salts, just 4 tablets (1 dose) per day

-Another raw liver "pill"

-Chorella tablet (and starting spirulina today too)

-Brewers yeast (primary grown on beets) on salads, cereal, etc, just whatever I can take it with.

I have maca powder, is it ok to take maca while pregnant?  What about ashwaganda?  I was taking these prior to conceiving, but not sure if they're ok now?

Besides the supplements I try to follow the WAPF diet, except I cant eat that much food, but the types of foods I eat are the same, just not the amounts!  I topped a salad with salmon and kefir last night, it was awesome!  On days that I dont eat seafood I will take a salmon oil capsule from Vital Choice as well.

#2 of 9 Old 11-30-2012, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Why take the raw liver pill?  Wouldn't you get more out of raw liver? 

-Chorella tablet (and starting spirulina today too) 

Can actually cause a lot of problems and probably should not be taken while pregnant.  Mostly gastrointestinal issues.  Not something you want to deal with righ tnow

#3 of 9 Old 11-30-2012, 02:54 PM

Hi.

You probably should not be drinking raw milk. There is the risk of listeria which can cause miscarriages. It's really not worth the risk.

Sheila, mother to William and Min Hee, wife of David
#4 of 9 Old 11-30-2012, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

Why take the raw liver pill?  Wouldn't you get more out of raw liver? 

Lol, the raw liver pill is raw liver, thats why I said "pill".  It is a pill-ish sized piece of raw liver that I swallow like a pill, since eating raw liver does not taste good to me :)

I have been drinking raw milk for years and through 1 previous pregnancy, and our ancestors have been drinking it for thousands of years, I know and trust my source and I'm not worried.  This is the TF forum you know...

Other questions: Does anyone know anything about taking evening primrose oil or digestive enzymes in pregnancy?

dalia likes this.
#5 of 9 Old 12-02-2012, 01:22 PM

Any specific enzimes? Is there something specific you're trying to treat?

Evening primrose oil should be used with extreme caution, and avoided if you have another option, IMO. It can induce labor, and is sometimes recommended specifically for that purpose in pregnancies that run past their due dates. 

I can't stomach regular vitamins, let alone prenatals. Today is my research day. I have figured out how much of what nutrients I want to focus on, and am working out my game plan right now. As it happens, I already happen to eat a diet fairly high in most of the things I need, so I think I can supplement pretty simply. Trader Joe's makes a flax oil gel cap I can stomach, and one per day will be plenty to supplement my diet...which is good because actual oils or flax seeds mixed into things upset my stomach when I'm NOT preg. lol 

I'm leaning heavily toward putting together some kind of tea I can drink throughout the day. I've done that before, and it worked well for me. I just don't remember what I put in it. =D

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#6 of 9 Old 12-15-2012, 08:28 PM

When I'm pregnant next, I won't be taking a prenatal. My regimen is:

- folate (not folic acid)

- Organ Delight (Dr Ron's)

- FCLO

- Amla C

- Milk thistle the first trimester (to avoid nausea...and I take this for 8mo before conceiving)

- biokult probiotic

- catalyn whole food multi vitamin

- liquid B sublingual first trimester

I also daily drink kombucha, kefir and raw milk and get a lot of enzymes and vitamins that way. I'd love to get more bone broth in next pregnancy as well.  I also need to purchase some salmon oil capsules as I'm not able to regularly eat fish as much as I'd need to for the fatty acids.

I personally don't take EPO until the end of pregnancy when I wish to soften my cervix in anticipation of the birth. As for enzymes, if you have regular digestion, good bowel movements and no acid problems, you don't need them. But, since many women do have some sort of issue during pregnancy (I get heartburn) a digestive enzyme to encourage a good amount of stomach acid can help.  I'll confess though that I have taken zantac during pregancies so far because I get bad heartburn, and since there is a hormonal relaxation of the flap that keeps stomach acid from coming up your esophagus, I don't often feel like encouraging stomach acid.  I'm hoping kombucha will help next time as I wasn't drinking it last time I was pregnant.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#7 of 9 Old 12-15-2012, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have never taken prenatals with either of my pregnancies. ( I have three children).

I only take folic acid while pregnant and try to eat a balanced diet.

Me sleepytime.gif DH violin.gifand the kiddos run.gif   Follower of Jesus heartbeat.gif
#8 of 9 Old 12-18-2012, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Like many of you, I'm not taking Prenatals either. I drink raw milk, try to eat lots of greens, kefir, salmon roe, milk thistle and I'm about to start taking a teaspoon of Molasses a day, I also take Colloidal Silver if I start feeling under the weather. 

Crystal Marie
Aspire to decency. Practice civility toward one another. Admire and emulate ethical behavior wherever you find it. Apply a rigid standard of morality to your lives; and if, periodically, you fail – as you surely will – adjust your lives, not the standards.

#9 of 9 Old 01-03-2013, 01:16 PM

I'm not taking prenatal this pregnancy either. Here's what I am taking instead:

-FCLO

-High Vitamin Butter Oil

-Dessicated Raw Liver capsules (I just cannot handle eating liver)

-Liquid Calcium Magnesium Citrate

-Magnesium oil (topically)

-Gelatin (usually added to tea or cocoa)

-Flax seed (freshly ground, added to my morning oatmeal)

I am also trying to work in as much of the WAP pregnancy diet as I can like eggs, meat, lard, butter, bone broth, coconut oil, fermented foods, fresh fruits and veggies and whole milk.

Wife to my True Love since 8/03, Mom to DS 9/06, DS 5/08, DD 6/10, DS 11/11, and one on the way!

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page